The depression thread

Manic Ferocity

Nov 5, 2006
Not a place to mope about your problems. What do you DO when you’re depressed? Do you drink a lot? Do you wake up hung over as fuck and tide yourself over with truck loads of energy drinks and/or “totally legal and presrcribed speed” just to take care of your responsibilities? Does your car smell like fast food?

This thread is for you.

I stopped drinking and the depression went away. Mine was probably more situational I guess as I don't think I've ever had full blown depression

Short-term I wack off, but only the first fap of the day works fairly consistently. I have to ride the high into something else though, if I cum and then just sit around not thinking of anything to do it doesn't help, but if I channel that good feeling into doing something, it works well. Long-term I work more. Nothing makes life seem pointless more than a lack of productivity. Druggies will never make it out of their depression.

I used to suffer with depression to a ridiculous degree, but once I started working my ass off it became easier to manage. I still deal with it these days but I feel much more prepared for the really dismal moments and so I live life relatively worry-free when it comes to that.

I haven't had a really bad slump in years at this point.

This is a very relevant topic for me, though we've had like 2-3 of these in the past. A long time ago I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, which means I have severe depressive swings and occasional manic swings when unmedicated. For a long time I was unable to function as a normal adult but baseball, and then finally getting a good job probably saved my life. Therapy helps too. And, even though I suck at this, doing the mental work on your own is very important (mindfulness, re-framing negative thoughts, etc).

Nothing makes life seem pointless more than a lack of productivity.

This is true for me as well. Feeling unproductive and boredom make me go fucking insane.

Reactions: Manic Ferocity
I've suffered with depression my whole life, but I've never spoken with a psychologist about it. It's always easier to cope with when you're occupied. Lot's of free-time can be difficult to persevere through, but I attribute the experience of having had that also to having been able to recognize long-running issues that have effected my day-long activities for as long as I can remember. I'm quite a happy person and have been for a while otherwise. Working constantly when I was younger helped in a lot of ways, particularly in terms of empathy.. Coping just comes down to doing something fulfilling, no matter what it is, even if just a means to an end. Ends in themselves are the best though.

Reactions: CiG
This is a very relevant topic for me, though we've had like 2-3 of these in the past. A long time ago I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, which means I have severe depressive swings and occasional manic swings when unmedicated. For a long time I was unable to function as a normal adult but baseball, and then finally getting a good job probably saved my life. Therapy helps too. And, even though I suck at this, doing the mental work on your own is very important (mindfulness, re-framing negative thoughts, etc).

Yeah, I’ve been diagnosed with type 1 bipolar disorder so I can relate. I will go long periods having a difficult time getting out of bed to being energetic to the point of being arrogant.

I've only had depression once for a week, as a symptom of post-traumatic stress. I only fully realised what it was later, which was quite eye-opening but also a relief. I basically just trudged through it doing work/eat/sleep and waited for it to wear off, although somehow I still managed to drag myself to gigs/concerts each weekend and enjoy them. The whole thing was on my mind for a long time. A few years later I wrote some cryptic song lyrics about it and that helped a lot.

Yeah, I’ve been diagnosed with type 1 bipolar disorder so I can relate. I will go long periods having a difficult time getting out of bed to being energetic to the point of being arrogant.

That's how I am too, I'll accomplish a fuckton of shit during my manic periods (which honestly amount to feeling more 'normal' than anything else) and literally nothing most other times. Sucks

I've suffered with depression my whole life, but I've never spoken with a psychologist about it. It's always easier to cope with when you're occupied. Lot's of free-time can be difficult to persevere through, but I attribute the experience of having had that also to having been able to recognize long-running issues that have effected my day-long activities for as long as I can remember. I'm quite a happy person and have been for a while otherwise. Working constantly when I was younger helped in a lot of ways, particularly in terms of empathy.. Coping just comes down to doing something fulfilling, no matter what it is, even if just a means to an end. Ends in themselves are the best though.

This is a big problem because if your only way of coping with depression is work, you'll have to work yourself into the grave just to avoid putting yourself in a grave prematurely. My father developed depression when he was working for mining companies, being alone in a tiny room for weeks really destroyed his mind in many ways and I think he relies too much on keeping busy with work these days, not sure what he's going to do when he's too old to work.

My father developed depression when he was working for mining companies, being alone in a tiny room for weeks really destroyed his mind.

I was in a similar position. Too many hours alone in the cabin of a truck on country roads where you see nothing but mindless wildlife for hours. I could do thirty deliveries in a shift but only see three people. Permanent night shift 6 some times 7 nights a week 12-14 hours a night. Even when I was home I needed sleep so I there was no partying (00 BAC at all times), very little interaction with others and I was too fucked to do anything anyway. Things got worse when I was injured and pushed out but it all stemmed back to all those hours spent in the truck talking to myself.

This is a big problem because if your only way of coping with depression is work, you'll have to work yourself into the grave just to avoid putting yourself in a grave prematurely. My father developed depression when he was working for mining companies, being alone in a tiny room for weeks really destroyed his mind in many ways and I think he relies too much on keeping busy with work these days, not sure what he's going to do when he's too old to work.

Totally. I had a rough time in undergrad because I worked and studied full-time. Though I was constantly around people, it was pretty isolating and alienating. It hasn't been necessary since then and I'm definitely not interested in going back to that way of life.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah, work really isn’t an answer for me. Just not any job, I mean. Especially if it’s a dead end job where you’re living paycheck to paycheck and you either don’t like your co-workers or don’t have enough co-workers to interact with. I think having goals and working towards those goals is the answer, really.

Yeah, I struggled maintaining shitty employment throughout my life until I finally got a 'real' job, and that helped a lot. Work can help distract you, but it doesn't fix the underlying issues.

I don't think I've ever really felt depression. Sure, I've gone a few days after losing friends and loved ones that are rough but I usually manage to get out of that funk after a few days.

I can't imagine having anything more serious that. Shit must really fucking suck. I feel for you guys that do.