The Dimmu Borgir Thread

Best Album

• Total voters
Compare Shagrath's vocals on SBD to Vortex's vocals on Quintessence. Almost identical.

And the only real duet on SBD was "Dreamside Dominions".

Compare Shagrath's vocals on SBD to Vortex's vocals on Quintessence. Almost identical.

And the only real duet on SBD was "Dreamside Dominions".

duo... not duet... vortex does vox on several songs... reptile; insight, etc. he sounds perfect on those... exactly what was needed to contrast with shag

"Dreamside Dominions" was the only song where they sung both at the same time. The others segregate the two vocalists into different sections of the songs, a formula that continued in albums thereafter. SBD has the best uses of that formula, but after that it became a standard "Simen sings only once per song that he happens to sing on."

"Dreamside Dominions" was the only song where they sung both at the same time. The others segregate the two vocalists into different sections of the songs, a formula that continued in albums thereafter. SBD has the best uses of that formula, but after that it became a standard "Simen sings only once per song that he happens to sing on."

yes... that's what i meant

What's also great about SBD is that Vortex sings in his natural range. Later albums see him singing higher than he's comfortable performing live, and it sounds unnatural. Nagash should have stayed with DB so Vortex could have continued with Borknagar.

Yes, PEM would sound incredible with a SBD-style production.

I often fantasize that Shagrath leaves the band and Vortex takes over all vocal duties.

He wouldn't be able to handle it, he would be too distracted by playing bass which makes for less powerful, and less concentrated vocals. He could probably do it, but it just wouldn't have the energy, power and freedom of Shagraths vocals making for a less dynamic performance.

With all due respect, how exactly does a band stand around a stage for a whole show trying to look evil? What specifically tipped you off to the fact that they were doing that? Did they bring out an altar and mutilate virgins? Maybe the sound system and acoustics where just trash at that particular show...

Haha...did you miss the part where I mentioned seeing them on more than once occasion? The way they presented themselves just seemed kind of arrogant, that's all.

Haha...did you miss the part where I mentioned seeing them on more than once occasion? The way they presented themselves just seemed kind of arrogant, that's all.

You said you saw 'em a few times, and said that 2 of the shows weren't bad. That only leaves one bad one.

I don't understand what they did to seem arrogant, but I'll take your word for it.

I just have In Sorte Diaboli and Enthrone Darkness Triumphantand like EDT just a litle better than ISD. I really like this band and want their whole discography, the albums I'm wanting from them next are For All Tid, original Stormblast, PEM, and DCA, both captivate me in different ways, the new and old Dimmu eras. I considered getting For All Tid on vacation this week but decided to getme Borknagar's For The Elements greatest hits CD because I wanted some Borknagar but I may be kickingmyself in a week or so. :lol:

I don't particularly care for this kind of music. I do have a copy of Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and find it enjoyable every once in a while.

But who cares what I think, and who cares what anybody else thinks about it either. Listen to what you love, and if somebody doesn't like it, they can go screw a goat.

This was my first metal band. The first album i listen to was PEM, and i loved it, and i think it's their best. I don't fear to say that i simply love this band, one of my all time favorite bands, this band was the one who made me continue my journey into BM.
+10 Exactly and same with me.. definetly my fave album... PEM... but i need to get their other albums before that one as well... I think Galder is a excellent guitarist and think Nick Barker was a great fit for their music... they are excellent musicians imo...

But who cares what I think, and who cares what anybody else thinks about it either. Listen to what you love, and if somebody doesn't like it, they can go screw a goat.

+10 Exactly and same with me.. definetly my fave album... PEM... but i need to get their other albums before that one as well... I think Galder is a excellent guitarist and think Nick Barker was a great fit for their music... they are excellent musicians imo...

I prefer Shagrath's vocals...

Total agreement.

I listened to them abit a few years ago but moved away from them. Not conciously but I think it happened when I got more into death metal for a while. The albums Im familiar with are Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. All three are nice enough but I remember EDT not living up to the extreme hype it got back in the day. I think I always liked the two others better.

I heard their latest one when it was released. Granted only once or twice but it didnt catch my attention at all really.

What's also great about SBD is that Vortex sings in his natural range. Later albums see him singing higher than he's comfortable performing live, and it sounds unnatural. Nagash should have stayed with DB so Vortex could have continued with Borknagar.

I think I've always held a grudge against DB for this whether or not I knew it. They snatched up Vortex from a better band and utilized his clean vocals considerably less.

I owned DCA before I really got into Black metal and found it a bit boring. I listened to it a few times and never really cared for it. Progenies is a fun song in its own overblown way though. I was going to type more but what I was going to type has slipped from my mind.