The food thread.

any of you dudes got a cool paella recipe? trying to find one but pretty lost. i've been making some legit curries lately if anyone has a good one they want to share

So I thought I would make chicken thighs tomorrow with some mushrooms and rice, and also a chicken broth/soup with noodles but girlfriend said she would prefer beef broth with liver dumpilings. So I went shopping today, bought two chicken quarters, some beef tail pieces and pieces of ribs for the broth. Also, a prepared pastina for the dumplings, fuck making that. I can rarely resist to buy some goose paté when I'm at butchers so there, also bought some smoked bacon and cheese.

Various vegetables for the soup - parsley, celery, carrot as thick as a dick, and some red onion - red gives the soup more color imho, I put the whole thing there and then cut it when it's done. Well, now I have some cooking to do.

Decided to make polish pierogi with my own twist. This is for tomorrow's lunch but I already have them prepared and will just cook them for five minutes when our guests come.

I started experimenting with the dough on wednesday, and when I was sure I could make it look proper, I started working on the fillings. AFAIK traditionally Polish humans do a potato filling with optional cheese or cabbage. When we were in Wroclaw with my main one, we had meat pierogi, but it was definitely pork, must have been sausage meat or something.

I decided to make my own fillings. One vegetarian, with potatoes,not mashed all the way into a purré, I left chunks. I wanted to add Slovakian bryndza cheese, but couldn't find it, so decided for czech feta.

IMG_20180302_121904.jpg

For the second filling I chose ground beef, basically burger meat, and I fried it with diced onion, leek, and garlic.

IMG_20180302_152744.jpg

IMG_20180302_161425.jpg

Then I formed the motherfuckers.

It takes time and experience, kind of like rolling joints. The first few just won't be nice, and I did the first batch drunk so it was pretty mad.

Then I got the hang of it:

IMG_20180302_123758.jpg

IMG_20180302_125536.jpg

IMG_20180302_145902.jpg

My polish ex saw a pic and said the edges were nice, but the shapes were fucked. Well, fwiw, I prefer chunky fillings so these can look like colostomy bags for what I care.

These are in the fridge now and will be cooked and served tomorrow.

Whenever I make a soup, I have troubles with the quantity. I usually make too much. Last time I went too far and it barely fit our pot.

The potatoes and veggies in:

IMG_20180224_111432.jpg

Dried mushrooms:

IMG_20180224_111901.jpg

Some spices:

IMG_20180224_112231.jpg

Yeah I want that medieval feeling in the end. I want to feel the 15th century.

IMG_20180224_120714.jpg

Were the schnitzels cooked in butter?

I barely remember it but I think so. I never bother clarifying the butter though. And usually I first fry them on the pan until they're golden and then put then in the oven to finish them. That's also not common I think, and perhaps some cooks would even beat me up for it, who knows. :)

Reactions: SWAT
I barely remember it but I think so. I never bother clarifying the butter though. And usually I first fry them on the pan until they're golden and then put then in the oven to finish them. That's also not common I think, and perhaps some cooks would even beat me up for it, who knows. :)

I always buy the premade clarified butter, can't be arsed to make it.

Also quite often don't follow traditional recipes the way they are meant to be. As long you like it bub, that's all that matters.

Reactions: Onder
Made pierogi once again like a true slavic instagram whore.

Few notes: They're a whore to make. Too many steps. It pays off to have the dough ready at hand in the fridge, or the filling prepared. Then the forming is a true bitch that takes time, and you just gotta fry some onion to sprinkle on top of the motherfuckers.

The forming gives you this rural feeling of the old times, when children were dying of pestilence and girls were raped by old men regularly. Young women had to know how to prepare pierogi.

Met my Ukrainian buddy and he basically gave me a lecture on pierogi from the cultural perspective. He basically claimed the origin for Ukraine, albeit with a different name - "vareniki". Ukrainian vareniki apparently HAVE to be cooked only (never baked or friend after cooking) and no meat comes inside (except potentionally liver). Russians, on the other hand, often bake them and put all kinds of shit inside, calling them pelmene.

Pierogi is Polish.

Here is an illustration of my slavic kitchen festivities:

Pierogi in line. The meat filling makes it harder to form in comparison to the potato/cream filling.

IMG_20180324_120823.jpg

Before cooking. I put some dried dill and ground allspice and cumin in the dough. I think it makes things interesting.

IMG_20180324_124100.jpg

Proceeds of boiling water torture of the motherfuckers.

IMG_20180324_125534.jpg

I serve them with some fried onion and sour cream.

IMG_20180324_125652.jpg

This is what it looks like when my woman makes breakfast:

IMG_20180324_101555.jpg

This is what it looks like when my woman makes kulajda, the cream soup with dill, mushrooms, potatos, egg..

IMG_20180322_181920.jpg

And now this.

I rarely make sweet stuff, but we had some leftover pears so I thought I'd make a pear pie. I combined multiple recipes I found online. Here's pictures of the festive occasion of slavic pie formation.

IMG_20180316_133215.jpg

IMG_20180316_133702.jpg

IMG_20180316_164036.jpg

IMG_20180316_173203.jpg

This is what it looks like when my woman makes breakfast:

View attachment 14718

This is what it looks like when my woman makes kulajda, the cream soup with dill, mushrooms, potatos, egg..

View attachment 14719

And now this.

I rarely make sweet stuff, but we had some leftover pears so I thought I'd make a pear pie. I combined multiple recipes I found online. Here's pictures of the festive occasion of slavic pie formation.

View attachment 14720

View attachment 14721

View attachment 14722

View attachment 14723

Those eggs, did she remember to turn the heat on in the pan?

Reactions: Onder