The Get-to-know-the-board-members thread

Collapse Generation said:
As I lay down, my thoughts go to sleep.

How can a person tell when he knows another person or not?
I am mystified by that question.

I thought I knew a girl, but she turned out to be someone else. She
was actually my girlfriend for a short amount of time, believe it or not.

It turned out that she had an even darker view of the thing we call life
than I had. And now, when I look back, I can understand that she
didn't really like me. But I won't babble about her now. :loco:

But that you are odd? I doubt it. I guess "odd" is all about showing your
true self to others. I believe that every person is "odd" one way or the
other, but many just "play along" and hide their true self. So basically, I
really like odd people.

This makes me think of the Earthdawn RPG, which is based around patterns.

Each entity with the power to name, is called namegiver. Each
namegiver has a "true pattern", which holds every bit of information
about this namegiver. Even personality and behaviour. It's possible
to weave a thread to this pattern, and gain useful information and
to strengthen other abilities.

I can believe that there exists some things like this in our world too,
and that people alter their true pattern by pretending to be someone
else. When people do just that, they are really being themselves,
because it is normal for that person to do so.

So when people say "he isn't himself" or "she isn't herself", I don't buy
it, because I believe that whatever a person does, it's a reflection of
their inner self, no matter what. If a person is totally drunk, and does
something stupid or funny, it's a reflection of their I (not eye!).
Wow, those are some of the things I usually think about as well. You expressed a few of my thoughts on people being themselves. I think they may sometimes not act like they usually do, but it is within their persona to act the non-typical way they did.

As for knowing someone, for me, I think few people truly "know" me. Maybe it is impossible for someone to know another person fully or to be known fully themselves. As I don't think anyone would tell every little thing (feelings, emotions, other aspects) about themselves to another person not matter how close they are to the person. There are some things which can never be said. It's especially difficult to get to know those who are mostly secretive and don't say much about themselves (I usually don't... until now).

Although, there are those who really do startle you when you think you know them (maybe like the girl you mentioned). I once thought I knew a person I had feelings for, but I was proven wrong when something unexpected happened. I won't talk much about that though...

Oh yeah, and I'm odder than most people. I do stuff that is not typical by far and really strange (not going to get into that in detail here though).

Heh, my parents are telling me to get off the computer and it's time for me to sleep now. The things I write when I'm half-tired. :D

mousewings said:
..I think they may sometimes not act like they usually do, but it is within their persona to act the non-typical way they did.

As for knowing someone, for me, I think few people truly "know" me. Maybe it is impossible for someone to know another person fully or to be known fully themselves. As I don't think anyone would tell every little thing (feelings, emotions, other aspects) about themselves to another person not matter how close they are to the person. There are some things which can never be said. It's especially difficult to get to know those who are mostly secretive and don't say much about themselves (I usually don't... until now).

Although, there are those who really do startle you when you think you know them... I once thought I knew a person I had feelings for, but I was proven wrong when something unexpected happened.
'Tis very true..
And I can particularly relate to the last sentence above.

Reactions: mousewings
You probably know it already, but you can't trust
other people 100%, even if everything points in that direction.

Many people are playing tricks and games, and they
manipulate you to get them were they want you to
be. And most of those people don't think you are
capable of revealing their true intentions.

Fortunately, I have never or at least very seldom
been around people like that. It doesn't take long
before I can tell if I can "take" a person or not.

mousewings, thanks for your reply. I will probably dig
deeper into this stuff at a later time, right now I'm
at work and feeling pretty paranoid.

Reactions: mousewings
Trust no one!
You don't let anyone in and that way you won't get hurt by others, you only hurt yourself, again and again.
It would be nice to be able to trust people but where do you find someone who won't let you down and ruin it all?
:Smokedev:

Reactions: Dark_Jester
Northern Lights said:
Trust no one!
You don't let anyone in and that way you won't get hurt by others, you only hurt yourself, again and again.

:cry:
listen, can't we just use another x-files quote? i vote for "once i saw the face of elvis in a potato chip". :Spin:

It would be nice to be able to trust people but where do you find someone who won't let you down and ruin it all?
:Smokedev:

it's not just the extent of trust itself, but the actual relationship between the people involved: i totally trust my boss, for instance. and i don't think it's that uncommon, because our interaction is limited to job matters. i totally trust hyena, and this is certainly not common at all 'cause we're best friends and all. so i guess here you're referring to that even more elusive kind of unparalleled trust that should take place between people who are committed to each other by love ties and who knows what else. in this case, it's probably correct that you don't find trustworthy individuals around every corner, but would you want to? maybe some of those who try to hit on us are good, solid, reliable people and we shun them just because there's other stuff we take into consideration before deciding to invest our energies with someone else.

rahvin.

rahvin said:

i totally trust hyena, and this is certainly not common at all 'cause we're best friends and all.

thanks, but I'm sure you had a different intention there. That is, if we don't adhere to the "your best friends are your worst enemies" school of thought :p

Keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and if they happen to be one and the same, kill them, behead them so they can't come back, and bury them in concrete...its the only safe way ;)

I'm a 20 yr old Colombian
I live in New York now
I'm studying Chemical Engineering at the University of Rochester. Where I just found out I'm the top engineering student :Spin:
(Shut up! I'm just really happy about it)
I love metal, soccer, and Chicken
I draw sometimes..
I do believe in a God, though I disagree with all organized religion in general and any of that in the conventional sense
I value respect above all

I've been poor all my life but hopefully in 2 years I'll be starting off making $80000 per year (At which point those of you fellow metalfans that need help/ tickets/ cds/ a place to stay/ etc.. need only ask :) )

Dark_Jester said:
ILLUMINATI! ILLUMINATI!!!
Next you'll be telling us all to summon Cthulu...you're a baaaaaaaaad boy :p
Oh, I've read it by the way ;)

erm, now that's strange. i just finished a book about the cthulhu mythos.. IÄ!IÄ! Shub-Niggurath!
maybe leviathan and cthulhu are the same being afer all... conspiracy!

The conversation on trusting people and people being/not being themselves was interesting. It seems to all comes down to selfishness. Selfishness leads to people betraying others. Many times, I've heard people, myself included, talk about how they thought they knew someone. And then something happened that sort of put that person in a different light. It seems that when that has happend to me, the other person all of a sudden comes across as being much more self-indulgent than I had originally thought. A change occured which caused the other person to act in a way that best suited him/herself, while putting other people's feelings behind their own. This whole situation is what I consider betrayal... when the trust and faith that is put in the other person is ruined because of a selfish motive. My thoughts are becoming somewhat incoherent, so I think I'll leave it at that.

Ahh... and late welcome to Collapse generation.:)

@MagSec4: Congrats on being at the top in chem E!:) That's a hell of a tough major, keep it up!

MagSec4 said:
I'm a 20 yr old Colombian
I live in New York now
I'm studying Chemical Engineering at the University of Rochester. Where I just found out I'm the top engineering student :Spin:
(Shut up! I'm just really happy about it)
I love metal, soccer, and Chicken
I draw sometimes..
I do believe in a God, though I disagree with all organized religion in general and any of that in the conventional sense
I value respect above all

we could be twins if it weren't for the fact that you're colombian and you're brilliant at science :p

i doubt i'll be making $80k in 2 yrs time. *crosses fingers, toes and eyes for good measure* will you send me real cookies then? :D

hyena said:
thanks, but I'm sure you had a different intention there. That is, if we don't adhere to the "your best friends are your worst enemies" school of thought :p

i think here we're adhering to the "it only takes one more comma to sound slightly coherent" school of thought, and thanks for pointing it out. ;)

rahvin.

rahvin said:
listen, can't we just use another x-files quote? i vote for "once i saw the face of elvis in a potato chip". :Spin:

yeah somehow that sounds more reasonable ;)

As for the rest...
I was thinking more about trust in general, and "basic" trust if there is such a thing, especially between friends. I mean... having had quite a few shitty friends who have done nothing but stab me in the back while smiling to my face, I'm cautious when it comes to getting to know people. The normal thing is to assume people like you until the opposite is proved, and not vice versa, right? Well that's a form of trust as well imo; you're letting your guard down and not constantly questioning someone's motive and expecting them to turn on you when they get the chance. So that's a start... whereas doing it my way means you start out on minus lol.
Ok I don't really know what I'm talking about, it's late so I'll just shut up lol

@Tebus: I can only agree.

Tebus said:
Ahh... and late welcome to Collapse generation.
Thank you, Sir. :cool:

I don't feel like getting all deep and philosophical right now, so I'll go to bed instead.

By the way, Projector surprised me. It was very different from what I
expected, especially because I've lived with Damage Done for quite some
time now.

See you tomorrow.

-Sayonara-

Reactions: Incendiare
Tebus said:
The conversation on trusting people and people being/not being themselves was interesting. It seems to all comes down to selfishness. Selfishness leads to people betraying others. Many times, I've heard people, myself included, talk about how they thought they knew someone. And then something happened that sort of put that person in a different light. It seems that when that has happend to me, the other person all of a sudden comes across as being much more self-indulgent than I had originally thought. A change occured which caused the other person to act in a way that best suited him/herself, while putting other people's feelings behind their own. This whole situation is what I consider betrayal... when the trust and faith that is put in the other person is ruined because of a selfish motive. My thoughts are becoming somewhat incoherent, so I think I'll leave it at that.

*applause* I couldn't say it any better. It's also difficult for a person to explain this when they haven't really experienced betrayal. It's just so awkward to find out a person's true colours, after knowing them for how long, and for that person to have a reputation of being honest and supposedly caring. Then they turn out to be a heartless, malevolent...jerk.