The Get-to-know-the-board-members thread

MagSec4 said:
but hopefully in 2 years I'll be starting off making $80000 per year (At which point those of you fellow metalfans that need help/ tickets/ cds/ a place to stay/ etc.. need only ask :) )
Yay! Could I stay indefinitely?
Are you single also? :p

I don't feel like talking much today.

Over the whole trust thread:

I consider my friends as circles. The one circle is a link to a friend I had for 12 years now, and it's gotten to the point where we're practically brothers. I trust him seriously. Anybody I met through him is bordering that circle, those are the people I'd hang out with, and trust to a point, but there's a limit to the amount of trust I put into them.

There's another circle around my friend and his girlfriend, who I've known for about 6 years. Those 2 I share a similar relationship to. All the people I know through them I got to trust over the years, but a bad relationship opened my eyes and showed that even they don't know a person that well until years have passed.

Then there's my 3rd circle, with nobody really in the center, but people I always hang out with and do stuff. But again, that family relationship doesn't exist, but the potential is there if I stay in contact with everyone for years to come.

The whole point of this is that I have never been betrayed by the people I consider family and it goes both ways. People that betray your trust are on the borders of the circle if they were ever friends, and quickly go outside the circle if they do. It is possiable to get close to people and not be betrayed, but those relationships usually wind up in friendships that seem like family and can take years to mold and many hardships in between.

Hmmm..... Who am I?

Maybe talking about myself would have been easier if there were some questions for the start... And, of course, if I could see some of the interested faces of those who want to know about me. I don't.

Northern Lights said:
As for the rest...
I was thinking more about trust in general, and "basic" trust if there is such a thing, especially between friends. I mean... having had quite a few shitty friends who have done nothing but stab me in the back while smiling to my face, I'm cautious when it comes to getting to know people.

i don't think i've ever been... stabbed in the back by friends or lovers. maybe i've been lucky, or maybe i just never put myself in such a position with people i was uncertain of. as of now, my three very good friends in real life have never willingly done any harm to me.

i understand it more if you formulate the concept as finding out someone is different than the way you had imagined. this is very apparent if we consider one of my past relationships (the longest and possibly the most important), and we're gonna do just that because i'm the one doing the writing here. :p
after a long long long time of her agreeing on many levels with my ideas and those of my friends (whom she all knew and liked), we split - my decision - and she denies all of her previous opinions. she just becomes someone else entirely, so that i'm forced to assume she just wanted to shape her personality around mine in order to be with me, not because of any common background/shared value. in the end she almost stops talking to me at all (yet another behaviour she used to condemn before) and hangs out with idiots.
what do i make of it? that it's very hard to know somebody and understand his/her motives. but no stabbing, yet, no.

The normal thing is to assume people like you until the opposite is proved, and not vice versa, right?

[terry pratchett quote]
guy: people tend not to like me right after they've known me
girl: i suppose that saves time.
[/terry pratchett quote]

Well that's a form of trust as well imo; you're letting your guard down and not constantly questioning someone's motive and expecting them to turn on you when they get the chance. So that's a start... whereas doing it my way means you start out on minus lol.

it seems so very radical... do you really expect me to turn on you? like, banning you or something? :p

@onyx: my face is somewhere on the picture thread. ;)

rahvin.

Hiljainen said:
@Collapse Generation, Miolo: yeah dream theater are good ;)
icon_rock.gif

Miolo

rahvin said:
i don't think i've ever been... stabbed in the back by friends or lovers. maybe i've been lucky, or maybe i just never put myself in such a position with people i was uncertain of.
Then you are lucky. "My" backstabbers were originally some really good childhood friends - my best friends I thought. I grew up with them, there was no reason I shouldn't trust them - but then again, people do change and grow apart. It's just that some do it without spending some 6-7 months hanging out with you every day, staying over at your house etc., while all the time telling everybody - except yourself - how much they hate you. Actually, looking back I'm pretty glad I got rid of them, I'm certainly not stupid enough to waste that much time (if any at all) on people I don't like, and I demand some kind of intelligence above that of a carrot of the people I hang out with ;)

i understand it more if you formulate the concept as finding out someone is different than the way you had imagined.

what do i make of it? that it's very hard to know somebody and understand his/her motives. but no stabbing, yet, no.
Hmm... I know of quite a few people who, when a long relationship has ended, have acted in a similar way to what you described... Aside from that, it's true that it's hard to know somebody. At the risk of getting philosophical here, it's not so much the people that change as our perception of them. I mean... at one point you see one side of them that you like, thus you form a favourable opinion of them. And later on you change that opinion when you find out all the horrible character traits that were actually there from the start, but for some reason you didn't notice them.
Nooo now I'm ranting. again :erk: sorry.

it seems so very radical... do you really expect me to turn on you? like, banning you or something? :p
At the very least! I also expect you to put a spell on me so that grasshoppers will forever rain over me wherever I go :p No, seriously, I'm not that paranoid. or... should I be? :D :p

Reactions: Tebus
|ngenius said:
You mean... that I count on accomodations in NY?! Great. Cuando quedamos? :p :D
Not yet chief : p
Tebus said:
Congrats on being at the top in chem E!:) That's a hell of a tough major, keep it up!
Thanks a lot dude!
Caelestia said:
we could be twins if it weren't for the fact that you're colombian and you're brilliant at science :p
i doubt i'll be making $80k in 2 yrs time. *crosses fingers, toes and eyes for good measure* will you send me real cookies then? :D
Sure, what the hell... I'd overnight them :D
mousewings said:
Yay! Could I stay indefinitely?
Are you single also? :p
That'd depend..
Yes I am
Onyx said:
..of course, if I could see some of the interested faces of those who want to know about me. I don't.
What kind of attitude is that.
C'mon now! : p

MagSec4 said:
That'd depend..
Yes I am
What would it depend on?

Like if I'm useful or not? Well, I know how to do a lot of things (clean the house, wash dishes, sew, code html, basic troubleshooting of computers, etc., etc.). Take away the computer and I'm very useful... With the computer, I still am, but less so and it takes longer.

I'm single too. And very strange. :loco:

Northern Lights said:
while all the time telling everybody - except yourself - how much they hate you. Actually, looking back I'm pretty glad I got rid of them, I'm certainly not stupid enough to waste that much time (if any at all) on people I don't like, and I demand some kind of intelligence above that of a carrot of the people I hang out with ;)

it definitely sucks to be treated this way. then again, you said it yourself that people do change. it's unlikely that those that were close during childhood can stay the same way for all time. and obviously: find the brains first, then you're more likely to find straightforwardness.
aside from all the rethoric (sorry), it's weird that you claim your fellow students are even more brilliant than you but can't find trustworthy friends among them.

At the risk of getting philosophical here, it's not so much the people that change as our perception of them. I mean... at one point you see one side of them that you like, thus you form a favourable opinion of them. And later on you change that opinion when you find out all the horrible character traits that were actually there from the start, but for some reason you didn't notice them.

actually, i had already changed my opinion of her before she turned hostile. i wasn't just accepting everything she did blindly, but i thought there was a stable common ground that she promptly denied in words and actions. i understand this stemmed from a desire of emancipating herself from me, but still it seemed to disregard personality traits that i thought belonged with her. without them, i'm not sure she's got any character at all aside from that she picks up from her bf's.

At the very least! I also expect you to put a spell on me so that grasshoppers will forever rain over me wherever I go :p

given your math exams, i'm more like putting a hex on you. :p :D

oh my god, that joke was awful... :erk:

No, seriously, I'm not that paranoid. or... should I be? :D :p

noone ever called me a vicious backstabber, as far as i recall. ok, so they were quite busy with "rotten bastard", "damned fucker" and "lawn ornament", but still...

rahvin.

rahvin said:
aside from all the rethoric (sorry), it's weird that you claim your fellow students are even more brilliant than you but can't find trustworthy friends among them.
Ah but that's more about self-confidence; or rather lack thereof... :err:

without them, i'm not sure she's got any character at all aside from that she picks up from her bf's.
She wouldn't be the first either, I know of a lot of people like that - low self-esteem, I guess? Or schizophrenia... no I won't be mean. But it does show how difficult it is to really know someone. The best example I know of is my brother's ex, who while they were together was a great girl - then, when they broke up, she turned into a greedy and difficult person. I won't go into details, it's not my relationship lol, but the way she acts now... kinda makes me sad to think of how she used to be, at least towards us. Another example of people having sides that we don't see immediately...

noone ever called me a vicious backstabber, as far as i recall. ok, so they were quite busy with "rotten bastard", "damned fucker" and "lawn ornament", but still...
"lawn ornament"? That sounds more like a compliment! :p I trust you on this however :)
Although I did fail miserably on my math exam... hmm... :p

Reactions: rahvin
Dough. Tis the same with all newbies..
And it's naturally, isnt it..
Can't we just have that "if youre new, post here" thread back? ...Cos we're getting a lot of those "woooohaaaa I heard them discovered them they are great and other stuff WE (on the DT forum :rollllllllllleyes: ) already knew" threads lately..
So, Rahvin?