The GMD Movie Club Thread

Despite us all ragging on Wainds, we actually finished ahead of schedule. Well done GMD. Let's see how long that lasts.

The next theme is: ART
L%2527Ange%2Bdu%2BFoyer.jpg

I wanted to avoid themes that were essentially genre descriptors and give everyone a chance to be creative with their choices. So any movies where art and its creation is a central theme is fair game.

PM me your nominations and, same as last time, we will then vote for the top 4 to watch and rank. Remember to send me a reference to a streaming source or download link for your choice if possible as well - if not right away then at least by the time we settle on our top 4.

Anyone who didn't participate last time is welcome to join too.

I'm not going to put a hard deadline on this; we'll just harass Wainds as required.

Where are you guys getting some inspiration for a pick? I can't think of anything that isn't mainstream enough as is

Pick a movie with an art theme and look up relevant RYM lists/criticker collections/letterboxd lists/etc. that include that movie and see what else is on there.

Personally if I couldn't think of something good I've seen I would just pick something from my backlog that I strongly suspect to be good and am 95% sure is thematic.

the cool thing about this format is if you aren’t satisfied with your pick, you can just not vote for it.

Where are you guys getting some inspiration for a pick? I can't think of anything that isn't mainstream enough as is

i can think of a korean movie that’s not only about the creation of art but is literally named after an artistic medium.

Feeling like this pick limits the range here, but excited to see others. If I didn't watch Misery recently, it'd probably be my best pick

@Vegard Pompey if I had more time I could dig into those lists better, but a lot of titles. Rear Window was on one and would've been my pick, but doesn't seem to fit the criteria off of what I know and the synopsis. Appreciate it, though

I don’t want to break up the black panther party here because my taste in movies is too far gone but I’m a little disappointed I won’t have a chance to submit Gozu, Uzumaki, or maybe Ebola Syndrome for your higher art viewing pleasures.

Yeah if those are your examples of "too far gone" then you're actually in good company. I have Gozu and Ebola Syndrome on DVD and love them both.

Still need to see Uzumaki. You should unironically submit it.