The GMD Movie Club Thread

I don’t want to break up the black panther party here because my taste in movies is too far gone but I’m a little disappointed I won’t have a chance to submit Gozu, Uzumaki, or maybe Ebola Syndrome for your higher art viewing pleasures.

Go for it, as long as you are prepared to subject yourself to 3 or 4 movies submitted by other people. We seem to be missing DisAbeltim this round anyway so we are one short.

Reactions: CiG
How do those 3 fit??

From Uzumaki's plot summary: His unusual obsession causes him to abandon his responsibilities at work; he proclaims that a spiral is the highest form of art, and frantically creates whirlpools in his miso soup when he runs out of spiral-patterned kamaboko.

Also thematic relevancy (or lack thereof) can be determined by us as we watch the films.

I think Uzumaki would be a clever and thematic pick, although my memories of the manga are stronger than those of the live-action movie.

I've been chomping at the bit for the opportunity to submit Ebola Syndrome! Looks like I might have some competition when the pandemic-, cannibalism- or romance-themed round comes around.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
GMD Movie Club Round #2 - ART

upload_2022-8-5_7-8-28.png

Drive My Car (2021) - Ryusuke Hamaguchi

A theatre director stages a production of Uncle Vanya while working through the sudden death of his wife. RYM’s number 1 film for 2021, and winner of the Oscar for best international feature. Adaptation of a Murakami short story like the similarly acclaimed Burning (2018). Available on Amazon Prime and Apple TV.

MV5BOTM4Njg3ZDMtZTlkZS00Y2VkLTk0YmUtNTgwZDhmODNhMjdjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA3MDk2NDg2._V1_.jpg

Bliss (2019) - Joe Begos

A painter suffering from artist’s block resorts to extreme measures to find her creative mojo. One review described this as “lesbo vampire coke sludge doom splatter-core” which is not necessarily accurate but paints a picture (no pun intended). Begos is also known for the Assault on Precinct 13 homage VFW (2019).
Link here: https://movies2watch.cc/movie/watch-bliss-online-hd-41280

b08d72862e27635dd35fcbe4b5b59c49543d229fr1-600-889v2_uhq.jpg

F For Fake (1973) - Orson Welles

Available Apple TV. A ‘documentary’ about art forgery that blurs all lines between what is real and what is not. Inspiration for the likes of our next director...

wnggxb.jpg

Synechdoche, New York (2008) - Charlie Kaufman

Kaufman’s directorial debut, with the late Philip Seymour Hoffman starring as a depressed theatre director whose latest work involves him building an out of control replica of New York City in a warehouse, while his own bodily functions begin to fail him.

1680332020d60a6542d4d72d82adbb4945846e00.jpg

Henry Fool (1997) - Hal Hartley

Socially inept garbage-man Simon Grim is befriended by Henry Fool, a witty rogue and untalented novelist just released from seven years in jail for attempting sex with an underage girl. Henry opens the world of literature to Simon, and inspires him to write "the great American poem." Available Apple TV.

3b0fcf10ca64603dd8979696e0be60b3_ed753290-5a9c-474f-9816-e8b42ef8097f_480x.progressive.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001) - Kevin Smith

Two stoners set out to sabotage a movie which rips off their own lives. Guessing everyone knows what to expect here. Available Pluto TV / Amazon / Paramount+

81Cay2LqTdL._AC_SY679_.jpg

At Eternity’s Gate (2018) - Julian Schnabel

Biopic about unstable artist Vincent Van Gogh’s final years. Schnabel also directed The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.
Link here: https://watchseriesstream.com/movie/watch-at-eternitys-gate-full-online-19697

andrew-sebastian-kwan-at-eternity-s-gate-sml.jpg

Uzumaki [Spiral] (2000) - Higuchinsky

The residents of a small town become increasingly obsessed with creating spirals. Japanese horror/surrealism based on a manga of the same name. No link provided so just DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH GUYS.

Uzumaki_Spiral_Vortex-641635405-large.jpg

I’m not posting trailers because I assume most people don’t want them or can google for themselves.

Vote for your top 4 for us to watch. Remember rankings don’t matter at this stage.

Attachments

• upload_2022-8-5_7-7-1.png
    upload_2022-8-5_7-7-1.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Drive My Car
Henry Fool
Uzumaki
At Eternity's Gate

I was planning to watch Drive My Car this weekend anyway so that's a nice coincidence.

Drive my car
Uzumaki
F for fake
Syndeoche (but will be weighed heavily since I really enjoyed it on the first viewing)

Maybe I'll see my second Welles if it makes it through

Fascinating that everyone voted for Uzumaki, it's not exactly acclaimed haha. Hope it's good, haven't seen it since my teens.

I thought Bliss was alright on first watch. Bought a soundtrack. I’ve been meaning to watch it again though because I can’t remember shit other than I enjoyed it… that’s why I voted for it

Reactions: AbelTim
I thought Bliss was alright on first watch. Bought a soundtrack. I’ve been meaning to watch it again though because I can’t remember shit other than I enjoyed it… that’s why I voted for it
Check out Joe Begos's other films if you haven't already. VFW, Almost Human, The Mind's Eye. All pretty good!