The hockey thread

The only reason Rome got suspended was because he had time to let off...the hit was a clean hit. a shoulder to to shoulder is a clean hard check. Horton's fault for not keeping his head up after he made the pass. But this is what pisses me off. If Rome gets 4 for a clean hit because he didn't stop, why wasn't Chara suspended for a similar situation against Pacioretty. Rome isn't a repeat offender same as Chara. I think the ruling is total bullshit.

The 4 game suspension, wich I think is a bit much, is partly a result of the League taking heat (as mentioned) throughout the Hockey World for not suspending Burrows. The Burrows incident, wich isn't about the injury it caused or anything (wich was barely minor)...its about the act of actually biting someone. Especially if that someone is a highly respected player throughout the league in Bergeron. Its a tough sport, played by tough / character guys...biting makes the sport and its players look horrible...there is no place for it in Hockey. I'm sure the Vancouver players quietly themselves aren't too happy with what he did. But I gladly moved on...it only fired up the Bruins even more.

The hit on Horton was extremely late and from the blindside. And it wasn't "shoulder to shoulder", it was shoulder to head. It caused a serious head injury...such was the suspension. The Chara hit was the same, in that the infraction was a late hit / interference. The difference was that the player hit the stansion in the process...wich made it look a whole lot worse. And also, the Canadien's organization and the media (as they always do) completely over-dramatized the whole situatoin, the injury, filing police charges on Chara etc, etc. The League simply saw the incident as "not as bad as it looked" or as the Canadiens made it seem.

The League needs to adjust / fix those partitions. And I'm not necessarily arguing with you, they also need to fix thier methods of suspension...because they've been very inconsistent.

Sorry, but watch the replay...there is no headshot. His head bouncing off the ice is what caused his injury not the actual hit. The hit was clean, just late.

And if the slow mo replays aren't clear enough, then you need to get your eyes checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but watch the replay...there is no headshot. His head bouncing off the ice is what caused his injury not the actual hit. The hit was clean, just late.

And if the slow mo replays aren't clear enough, then you need to get your eyes checked.

I think you seriously need to go pee in a cup right now...leave it with the Nurse...then go get your eyes checked.

Pause it at 1:02...1:08...2:04 or 4:30 if you'd like. His shoulder clearly plows into the rightside of his head. Even if his head hitting the ice actually caused the concussion (how would we know?)...its the late hit that caused him to bounce it off the ice in the first place. Thats what the league looked at. I agree, he hits him clean with the shoulder and it appears to be a text-book shoulder check. But lets not leave out the the fact that he also left his feet to throw the check as well...wich your not suppose to do. The bottom line- it was real late, from the blind side and TO THE HEAD...thats the problem. Right or wrong, wether the league is being too protective or not, they are definitely trying to cutdown on hits TO THE HEAD period!

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it a blind side? It was a north/south play, not an east/west. It's not even close to being a blind side, Horton should have kept his head up and seen it coming. If he did he'd prob be still playing right now. And a make up called for the Burrows' incident is full of crap. First of all the actual bite is inconclusive...I don't care if it looks like he bit him, there has to be actual proof, yeah it looks like he's bitting down...but it's not conclusive enough.

By the way Richards on Booth? Cooke on Savard? Hits to the head, no suspensions...How is that cracking down when those we're blatant intent to injure as well as massive blindside hits, which was 10 times worse then what Horton received.

Also Rome left his feet on the impact of the hit, not the actual follow through.

Jeezus Christ Syst...get a clue. If a guy looks like he is "biting down" (as you made mention 2xs) THEN MAYBE HE'S FUCKING BITING DOWN! You can see it...and also the blood on Bergerons finger afterwards. Whatever.

Horton did have his head up as he made the pass then proceeded to rush into the offensive zone. Its not his fault the hit was way too late. I mean the puck was already passed and on Lucic stick when the guy decided to hit him. It doesn't even matter if a players head is up or down...a late hit is a LATE HIT period! And you can't leave your feet either way...on impact or the follow through. I give up...move on.

And I really hope the Refs continue to let the boys play...let the chippy normal playoff stuff continue. Keep the hatred level on high! Thats what makes the playoffs fun and that style certainly bodes well for the Bruins. It'll suck and probably ruin the series if the Refs start calling every little thing now.

Uggh...Can't Vigneault see that Luongo sucks? He's allowed 12 goals on his last 46 shots. He has proven so many times this year, like every year, that he isn't a clutch goalie. I cannot ever recall a goalie ever choking this badly, and so predictably. Please keep Schneider in net for the rest of the series!

I really hope the Bruins can actually pull this off. They are totally maximizing thier talent, thier effort and will to win. Total team effort...playing thier balls off right now!

LOLuongo has been awful. But the Bruins have made the whole team look awful as well these last two. Something I really didn't expect to see.

A bright note. Horton was in the locker room after the game to present the Bruins blue collar team jacket to Peverly (2 goals)- his replacement. Its handed out on a nightly basis to the games best player. Kinda cool.

I hope the Canucks can stop choking tbh, so that we Canadians can show you guys that we're still the kings of hockey.

...you mean the Queens of hockey.:D

The series is even at 2-2...nobody is choking just yet. The last two games were a complete ass kicking by the Bruins...not Vancouver choking. If you would have told me at the beginning of the series that two games in this series would be 8-1 and 4-0...you, I and everybody else would have bet Vancouver would have won at tallying those scores. Give Boston credit.

The series is even at 2-2...nobody is choking just yet. The last two games were a complete ass kicking by the Bruins...not Vancouver choking. If you would have told me at the beginning of the series that two games in this series would be 8-1 and 4-0...you, I and everybody else would have bet Vancouver would have won at tallying those scores. Give Boston credit.

Actually, I would have only guessed Boston would win by those scores. Vancouver always does this. Sure Boston has been the better team the last two games but it's nothing new that Vancouver plays great for a few games and then have a terrible game or two. This is pretty much identical to the Chicago series. The only difference is that Vancouver was smart enough to build a 3-0 series lead against Chicago, a 2-0 series lead is a lot easier to blow.

317745853.jpg

Couldn't get the image to show, but this pretty much sums up Luongo...

There was only one goal that was legitimately Luongo's fault last night. The other three were defensive breakdowns.

I think the first two goals definitely should have been stopped. I don't care if the guy was on a breakaway, for anyone who has seen a lot of Canucks games, 5-Hole is a major weakness of Luongo's and always has been. The second goal should have been an easy save.

Actually, I would have only guessed Boston would win by those scores.

I find this hard to believe...but I hear ya.

Boston is not an offensive powerhouse, and in those two games they were without one of thier top scorers (Horton). I don't know...maybe I under-estimate thier offense at times.

No, they've been known to choke, this is just Vancouver being Vancouver.