The inevitable has happened.. Good Bye Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.
ufomagnet said:
Some of you guys are just fucking stupid. Axenrot started playing the drums at the age of nine, took lessons until he was 18, has played with Linköping's Symphonic Orchestra and in marching bands. To say that a drummer that loves John Bonhamn and Cozy Powell is a "simple death metal-drummer" is retarded. He can swing the swing for sure.

and he was banging on a snare drum and buckets at six!

he likes Heart, i think i'm beginning to Like mr. Axenrot...

NineFeetUnderground said:
i think huxflux is the only other swedish drummer i can think of right now which could do lopez' style better than lopez and superiorly play circles around him anyway. he should join Speth imo.

I said this a few weeks ago too. It would be very creepy as Hux looks ALOT like MLo.. haha:OMG:

ufomagnet said:
Some of you guys are just fucking stupid. Axenrot started playing the drums at the age of nine, took lessons until he was 18, has played with Linköping's Symphonic Orchestra and in marching bands. To say that a drummer that loves John Bonhamn and Cozy Powell is a "simple death metal-drummer" is retarded. He can swing the swing for sure.

You are correct. Loving John Bonham and having had drum lessons until you were 18 obviously means you are a great dummer and thus a suitable replacement for Lopez. It also doesn't in any way describe 1 out of every 3 drummers (if not more) on the entire planet.

ufomagnet said:

yah have you heard him play closure or windowpane live?

Shakira_JPC_10.jpg

imo

CAIRATH said:
You are correct. Loving John Bonham and having had drum lessons until you were 18 obviously means you are a great dummer and thus a suitable replacement for Lopez. It also doesn't in any way describe 1 out of every 3 drummers (if not more) on the entire planet.
Oh, sarcasm. Lovely. :worship:
You're correct though. When you assume that I was answering the question that you question my supposed answer to, then you're correct. Only that I didn't. I stated that he was more than a "I can only play TEH DEATH MEATAUL-DRUMZ000RZ!"-drummer that some here appears to believe, not that he is the perfect replacement to our beloved latino-friend who can't play live shows... If I'm not totally misstaken I think Mikael & co just decided that he is though, but then WTF do they know about drumming?

Hoahmaru said:
yah have you heard him play closure or windowpane live?
Yeah, a few weeks ago (Closure) and he nailed it. Much better than when he played last autumn, now he felt like a part of Opeth rather than a stand-in. When was the last time you heard him play?

ufomagnet said:

He can swing my balls since what we all saw in december was a standard death metal drummer. Nothing more, nothing less. I wouldn't complain if there wasn't a reason to do it.

I'm not a drummer, but Martin Lopez seemed to have an immense influence in Opeth's sound at the last albums, which i appreciate much.
Instead of saying "Good Bye", I hope to hear more of him in future projects.

Mad_Griffith said:
He can swing my balls since what we all saw in december was a standard death metal drummer. Nothing more, nothing less. I wouldn't complain if there wasn't a reason to do it.
And I doubt Mikael would have him in the band as a permanent member unless there was a reason for it. One that you probably haven't heard (yet) or can't hear. When I asked him about it in february this year he said that he thought that Axenrot was doing well on the tour but that he had yet to try him out in a studio situation with new material. Apperently they've tried since and liked what they heard.

I adore Lopez, but he's out. Bye bye.

This is really good news for both Martin Lopez and Opeth.

It was becoming apparant that Lopez would not be back. Now that's it's official, there is no more "maybe" or "possible" Lopez return to Opeth. The band can now move on with the knowledge Lopez is not returning.

And over the past few months it wasn't 100% clear what the true facts of Martin Lopez were. He's a great musician, and the fear of having him not play seemed real. At least he's found a way to bring his style to his fans, which means we'll be blessed with his sounds in the future.

It really is good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.