The inevitable has happened.. Good Bye Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.
proglodite said:
Apparently there were dozens of drummers for Opeth to choose from, but Axe was the only one whose first name was 'Martin'...

Mike used that line in concert a few months back. :erk:

Khayman666 said:
:kickass:

Just hope this doesn't cause any more problems with Bloodbath. Still waiting on that DVD :erk:

For sure, the 1 year anniversary is coming up in a matter of months, let's hope for a release before that.

Tumn said:
For sure, the 1 year anniversary is coming up in a matter of months, let's hope for a release before that.
Yeah, or at least an announcement or some sort of update. Wonder if any work has gone into it yet (editing, titling, etc), or if the whole project is collecting dust somewhere at the moment.

FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

Okay, one might have seen this coming ... I just looked for forest-pictures as wallpaper for my son when I see a picture of the Opeth-Logo. The Text began (in German): Martin Lopez leaves the band ....

My heart seemed to stop beating. Of course it didn't. But I'm very sad now. Something broke inside of me. But, of course, I wish Martin Lopez all the luck a (hu)man can have in his life. He is a great drummer, hey, and now we can speak about the "classic Opeth". That's not so bad for a record maniac ... :)

Goodbye MArtin! You rocked my socks off. I am excited though to hear the new material they will write with Axe. And Axe does look like a fucking viking!

I hope youre right Mike! I have all the faith in the world in you- Maybe we'll see some blastbeats in Opeth now! We all know that is the only thing Lopez could not do- and Axenrot absolutely rules at! So there it is... I predict more catchy-Morbid Angel-esque Opeth songs in the future (blastbeats and all!):headbang::kickass::worship:OMG:

I dont think he couldnt do it maybe he thought it sounds like crap....which it does.

Oh and thanks spellcheck.

i have one quetsion that i hope mikael can answer:

what is mendez's take on lopez's departure? Since somehow mendez joined opeth thanks to lopez... and they're good friends with each other... i certainly hope this doesn't affect their relationship... mendez is my favorite bandmember :D

I saw Opeth with Lopex on the SOTU Tour, he was great! I have also seen Opeth 2 times with Axenrot playing since then. Axenrot can basically do anything. He is amazing on the drums. I, for one, think he will do a wonderful job on the drums and with further Opeth music!

OneFootBlaster said:
I hope youre right Mike! I have all the faith in the world in you- Maybe we'll see some blastbeats in Opeth now! We all know that is the only thing Lopez could not do- and Axenrot absolutely rules at! So there it is... I predict more catchy-Morbid Angel-esque Opeth songs in the future (blastbeats and all!):headbang::kickass::worship:OMG:

I think if they were to use it tastefully, as a really strong contrast to layered background melodies (ie. Emperor - Thorns on My Grave, The Wordless Chamber) it could be amazing. I'd love to see Opeth just do as much different shit as they can. They definitely seem to be a band that can just combine everything and not go wrong.

Having said that, I always hope that Mike gets into Blut Aus Nord's industrial era stuff, and draws some inspiration from that. Get some doom/ambient/industrial influence happening. More parts like 0:45 of 'Beneath the Mire' and tracks like 'Reverie' would be stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.