The inevitable has happened.. Good Bye Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.
OneFootBlaster said:
I hope youre right Mike! I have all the faith in the world in you- Maybe we'll see some blastbeats in Opeth now! We all know that is the only thing Lopez could not do- and Axenrot absolutely rules at! So there it is... I predict more catchy-Morbid Angel-esque Opeth songs in the future (blastbeats and all!):headbang::kickass::worship:OMG:
I loved Martin's jazz style... It added so much greatness to Opeth's already great sound. I truly hope they don't ruin their next release with blastbeats.

Axe has a different style, but hes far from average. Besides - since when (even if he was) a simple DM drummer "shit"? We all know metal drummers shit on everyone else anyway (except Neil Peart & Nick McBrain).

We saw Lopez grow with the band. Take for example MAYH - Lopez on this record was simple in comparison to what we saw him grow into.

Who says Axe cant do the same, or better?

Also consider that Axe got dropped into a world tour. AS IF thats not gruelling!

The guy has big shoes to fill, yes. But I tell you what - its no good that people here are giving him shit. Give the man room to grow and Im sure he'll surpass many expectations.

Bloodbath up your cakeholes!

cover_bloodbath__nightmares_made_flesh.jpg

Peace.

The Hubster said:
Axe has a different style, but hes far from average. Besides - since when (even if he was) a simple DM drummer "shit"? We all know metal drummers shit on everyone else anyway (except Neil Peart & Nick McBrain).

We saw Lopez grow with the band. Take for example MAYH - Lopez on this record was simple in comparison to what we saw him grow into.

Who says Axe cant do the same, or better?

Also consider that Axe got dropped into a world tour. AS IF thats not gruelling!

The guy has big shoes to fill, yes. But I tell you what - its no good that people here are giving him shit. Give the man room to grow and Im sure he'll surpass many expectations.

Bloodbath up your cakeholes!

cover_bloodbath__nightmares_made_flesh.jpg

Peace.

Damn right motha fuckas!!

when i heard the news i didnt believe it, but as its true. i wish him good luck in his band, he pretty much influenced my drumming style probably the most out of any drummer.

Pethical said:
Opeth isn't over because Lopez is.

true but as im sure mike would agree, a band simply can be what it once was if a member leaves. im not saying there gonna be shit all of a sudden or for that same reason better than they were but a little different, maybe.
But its like one fifth of the influence being taken away and a new part being added so by that rational there has to be some difference? it cant be exactly the same?

I must admit, im gutted about this, because the jazz / latin elements were magical....

HOWEVER

We must remember that Lopez was not on the first 2 albums, and these were still amazing / magical in their own right.

*this may have already been mentioned, but im buggered if im gonna read through every post to check this fact.

Thankyou plis.

The Hubster said:
Besides - since when (even if he was) a simple DM drummer "shit"? We all know metal drummers shit on everyone else anyway (except Neil Peart & Nick McBrain).

:lol: Sig worthy.

yea...bands like Yes definitely went downhill when steve howe and rick wakeman joined. And rush definitely went downhill when neil peart joined. So i can definitely see why everyone is throwing in the towel just because the guy who was too busy being irresponsible starting 2 years ago got replaced by another talented guy who actually wants to be in the band.

NineFeetUnderground said:
yea...bands like Yes definitely went downhill when steve howe and rick wakeman joined. And rush definitely went downhill when neil peart joined. So i can definitely see why everyone is throwing in the towel just because the guy who was too busy being irresponsible starting 2 years ago got replaced by another talented guy who actually wants to be in the band.

add bruford + KC to the analogy list

::Sigh:: ...We all have run out of words with this.
I saw this coming and now that is happening it’s like...you know.... :: Put your own words here::
Some of us are still speechless because I PERSONALLY never EVER pictured Opeth without Lopez behind the drumkit.
I’m not even talking about his drumming, since ‘some of us’ gets easily pissed when some guys mention his ‘jazzy’ kind of style.
Maybe most of you will agree when I’m saying that Lopez added so much feeling, flavor, variety, and emotion into his drumming. THAT is what I’m going to miss dearly. Sure, out there are like 100000 million drummers maybe one better than other, maybe one ‘jazzier’ than other (lol, how fucking hysteric...)
I never thought of anyone behind Opeth’s drums if it’s not Lopez for the same reason I’ve told before.
I cursed on Axenrot so many damn times dude... lol, but I’m sure that if Mike picked him, it’s for some kickass reason that eventually will bring, help (in any way) and develop other things to this amazing band we all respect and defend so badly.
I’m really glad Martin is alright, being properly treated, maybe healthy and trying to create and be musically free on his own to do what he really likes to do. IT WAS HIS CHOICE, no one forced him to leave the band with a gun on his balls though. Try to understand that.
Lets give a chance to this other Martin, he deserves it.
He looks like a great guy and he's also a very competent and great drummer.
Anxious of listen his shit on the next record and of course Lopez’s new music.
Just wait and see.

Wow... long time without reading this forum.

Jesus fucking Christ on a stick, this thread should be sponsored by Kleenex tissues or some shit; there's that many whingers in here. It's really quite simple... if Mr Åkerfeldt and the rest of the band didn't feel that Mr Axenrot wasn't up to the task of matching (or possibly even bettering) the abilities of Mr Lopez in regards to whatever direction they wish to take, then I imagine they wouldn't have chosen him, hmm?

And blast beats rule. Every song should have them. Death metal, hip hop, gospel, whatever. Mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.