The media player thread

Manic Ferocity

Nov 5, 2006
Which one do you use? I've been using MusicBee and it is far and beyond the best music media player I've ever come across. Allows for a massive amount of customization and tinkering. Definitely makes me feel like I'm documenting my music collection somewhere.

Reactions: Onder
I use MusicBee on laptop and Pulsar on Android phone.

I'm super satisfied with MusicBee but I will probably find a replacement for Pulsar once I buy a memory card and move most of my music to my phone.

Pulsar can't read multiple-disc albums properly, can only play MP3s, and and seems to have issues with some symbols in the tags. Otherwise it's a great lightweight player, scrobbles nice with the easy last.fm scrobbler installed.

Google Music Player. Keeps track of plays across devices. I use the 3rd party desktop player when on my PC. Only hate it lacks sort by year.

Which one do you use? I've been using MusicBee and it is far and beyond the best music media player I've ever come across. Allows for a massive amount of customization and tinkering. Definitely makes me feel like I'm documenting my music collection somewhere.
I tried MusicBee this morning, the interface looks really smooth and functional. However, compared to Foobar which integrates easily into the Last FM desktop scrobbler it relies on its own Last FM plugin, and for some reason it kept turning itself on and off for me and a lot of the scrobbles were missed. Bit of a deal breaker for me, since I've been on last FM since about 2006 and now are pretty autistic about my scrobbling habits. I'm sure it does work properly with a bit more effort, but the lack of official last FM support is disappointing.

Sticking to foobar for now, it's ugly, but it's functional and I've had it so long I probably don't miss any of the interface features that other software offers in any event. The one thing that would be convenient in Foobar is the ability to make it auto-update the music playlist when new files are added to the PC.

I tried MusicBee this morning, the interface looks really smooth and functional. However, compared to Foobar which integrates easily into the Last FM desktop scrobbler it relies on its own Last FM plugin, and for some reason it kept turning itself on and off for me and a lot of the scrobbles were missed. Bit of a deal breaker for me, since I've been on last FM since about 2006 and now are pretty autistic about my scrobbling habits. I'm sure it does work properly with a bit more effort, but the lack of official last FM support is disappointing.

Sticking to foobar for now, it's ugly, but it's functional and I've had it so long I probably don't miss any of the interface features that other software offers in any event. The one thing that would be convenient in Foobar is the ability to make it auto-update the music playlist when new files are added to the PC.

Interesting, I've never had a single issue with MusicBee scrobbling.

What's your username on last.fm? I myself am a scrobbling and tagging autist. And it only becomes a mental health issue once you get into loads of classical music. It's impossible to create a perfect system for tagging. Tagging album names is a bitch. Tagging operas? Fuuuuck.

Interesting, I've never had a single issue with MusicBee scrobbling.

What's your username on last.fm? I myself am a scrobbling and tagging autist. And it only becomes a mental health issue once you get into loads of classical music. It's impossible to create a perfect system for tagging. Tagging album names is a bitch. Tagging operas? Fuuuuck.
I'm Vesupria on Last FM. I agree about classical music, I haven't listened to much of it in the last few years, but it's impossible to get a pure system happening when you have to deal with who the 'artist' is... is it the composer? the conductor? the main player? I'm assuming from your comments that that is only the most obvious of issues!

I myself am a scrobbling and tagging autist.
Ditto. I tag artists/titles in Discogs style but otherwise my tagging revolves around Last.fm (my username there is the same as here). I only have a handful of classical tracks which I just tag for the Last.fm artist I want them to go to. Usually the composer unless I have a specific interest in the performer. One quirk Last.fm had at times was that they didn't keep their MusicBrainz IDs up to date, so recent MB edits could cause songs to scrobble to the wrong artist completely. So that got me in the habit of deleting out any unnecessary shrapnel from tags.