the metalcore scene?

Steiner

Dyslexics Untie!
May 24, 2002
Rocklin, CA
www.google.com
So I know we got a few "if it ain't thrash, it ain't shit" guys and gals on these forums...which is cool by me...it's a Testament forum. I also know we got some other people (like me :kickass: ) that are really into the European death/black metal scene. And I've even noticed some crazy ass grindcore fanatics posting here and there.

My question for people is are you into the metalcore scene...is the modern scene's sound good for you? Or it just too much angst and noise for your tastes?

It seems to me like it's having a sorta renaissance of late and even combining some other more technical elements of other hardcore genres. Some of the best albums I've bought lately have been "metalcore" releases...

Lamb Of God - As The Palaces Burn
All Out War - Condemned To Suffer
Killswitch Engage - Alive Or Just Breathing
As I Lay Dying - Frail Worlds Collapse
Trivium - Ember To Inferno
God Forbid - Gone Forever
Atreyu - Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses
Chimaira - The Impossibility Of Reason
Caliban - Shadow Hearts
Unearth - The Stings Of Conscience

I could easily name ten more...maybe Machine Head's latest even? Hmmmm. I dunno. Am I the only one digging on all this new metalcore shit lately?

of any of those, really, the ones i can tolerate would be killswitch engage and lamb of god, they are the most metal of all those bands. however i dont like the new killswitch cause they changed singers and went more "core", and LoG has some really good songs, but their singer gets old really fast..but for most part, they both are a once in a while listen for me... i prefer the pure metal of bands like testament, forbidden, exodus megadeth etc.. over the new bands

It's tough to explain "metalcore" in words. I think the name comes from "heavy metal" and "hardcore" but you'll have to check some songs out to understand the difference between metalcore and, say death metal for example.

BTW...when did KsE release new material?

Steiner said:
It's tough to explain "metalcore" in words. I think the name comes from "heavy metal" and "hardcore" but you'll have to check some songs out to understand the difference between metalcore and, say death metal for example.

BTW...when did KsE release new material?

well i may be wrong in that, but i know they dropped the old singer, in my opinion a bad move, cause that guy had an amazing voice, and i dont really like the new singer, my friend saw them with LoG, and he said that the new material wasnt that good, i dont think they have released the new cd yet, however i might be wrong

You're right. No new material yet. I just checked their website. I gotta a chance to see KsE at the Cactus Club in San Jose. They opened up for Soilwork and Hypocrisy. One of the most amazing shows I've ever been to. Our own Chuck Billy was in attendance too. He even went up on stage with Soilwork and sang the growling chorus to "Follow The Hollow". Very cool stuff.

I was really impressed by both the guitarist and singer for KsE. A lot of the old school death metal fans were even giving them props by the end of their set...which is no easy feat. LOL. I was sorry to hear their singer left the band. That skinny little dude had some lungs. I haven't really followed them since he left.

Steiner said:
You're right. No new material yet. I just checked their website. I gotta a chance to see KsE at the Cactus Club in San Jose. They opened up for Soilwork and Hypocrisy. One of the most amazing shows I've ever been to. Our own Chuck Billy was in attendance too. He even went up on stage with Soilwork and sang the growling chorus to "Follow The Hollow". Very cool stuff.

I was really impressed by both the guitarist and singer for KsE. A lot of the old school death metal fans were even giving them props by the end of their set...which is no easy feat. LOL. I was sorry to hear their singer left the band. That skinny little dude had some lungs. I haven't really followed them since he left.

oh no way, you saw them with soilwork and hypocrisy, when was this, i remember seeing in flames and soilwork at the pound, now that was a killer show, minus the fact that soilwork sounded like shit cause they played on chimairas set, and get this shit, they played BEFORE chimaira, all in all i was really disapointed with soilworks performance, and they even cut our setlist short, though in flames put on a great show, always do....and ya i the whole metalcore bands like KsE, i dont really care about, ill listen to em everyonce in a while, but its just not my forte

METALinVEINS said:
oh no way, you saw them with soilwork and hypocrisy, when was this, i remember seeing in flames and soilwork at the pound, now that was a killer show, minus the fact that soilwork sounded like shit cause they played on chimairas set, and get this shit, they played BEFORE chimaira, all in all i was really disapointed with soilworks performance, and they even cut our setlist short, though in flames put on a great show, always do....and ya i the whole metalcore bands like KsE, i dont really care about, ill listen to em everyonce in a while, but its just not my forte
Hahaha...I was at that Pound show too. I was pissed. Soilwork played like 3 songs and jammed cuz Speed was losing his voice. Oh well. That was the first time I'd seen In Flames play live so I still left that show with a big shit-eating grin from ear to ear despite what happened.

The Soilwork/Hypocrisy show was the summer of '02. Seeing those kind of bands in a small venue is awesome...even if you're crammed in there like sardines and the beer is watered down. ;)

Whether or not the music is up your alley, these bands' live shows are cools to see.

I got most of those bands listed, and yes, I prefer the original thrash or melodic death sound over this, probably 'cause I can't handle the vocal style. Same goes with brutal death -- can't get into it for the same reason.

But the music is cool -- you can crush your skull on this shit, but it ain't very speedy, and not known for soloing...

I think Steiner has very similar tastes to mine , 1st choice is always Thrash, Death, etc .... but I also really like KSE, and if a band sounds "good" to me , then I don't hesitate to listen. That KSE cd really grew on me, at first I didn't like the singing, but over time, the vocal melodies in the choruses and guitar work won me over. I think it's a good "metal-core" record if that's what you wanna call it. I saw KSE w/ Lamb of God on the HBB tour (which also kicks major ass) , and they put on a great show, extremely powerful , metal, and loud. Their new singer (the black dude) sounds good live . I am very interested to see what their new release will sound like, if they go more "metal" or more "hardcore".

As I lay dying played when I saw them open for Chimaira, they put on a good show too. Same w/ Chimaira which no matter what alot of people say, put on a good show. At least the show I attended at The Glass House in Pomona. The double bass and heavy guitar riffs (fear factory style) is what I was impressed by with that band, plus the production on their last cd was really well done. Anyway, my point is , who cares if it's "metal-core" , if it sounds good, listen to the mother-f'er !!!!

hiddenlegions said:
I think Steiner has very similar tastes to mine , 1st choice is always Thrash, Death, etc .... but I also really like KSE, and if a band sounds "good" to me , then I don't hesitate to listen. That KSE cd really grew on me, at first I didn't like the singing, but over time, the vocal melodies in the choruses and guitar work won me over. I think it's a good "metal-core" record if that's what you wanna call it. I saw KSE w/ Lamb of God on the HBB tour (which also kicks major ass) , and they put on a great show, extremely powerful , metal, and loud. Their new singer (the black dude) sounds good live . I am very interested to see what their new release will sound like, if they go more "metal" or more "hardcore".

As I lay dying played when I saw them open for Chimaira, they put on a good show too. Same w/ Chimaira which no matter what alot of people say, put on a good show. At least the show I attended at The Glass House in Pomona. The double bass and heavy guitar riffs (fear factory style) is what I was impressed by with that band, plus the production on their last cd was really well done. Anyway, my point is , who cares if it's "metal-core" , if it sounds good, listen to the mother-f'er !!!!
What you said about Chimaira's sound is sorta what I meant in the original post when I said that the metalcore scene has been adopting some of the more technical elements from other hardcore genres. Chimaira is heavily influenced by Fear Factory...Lamb Of God seems to be heavily influenced by Slayer...Trivium has managed to pull of an original American sound but with definate Swedish MDM influences...there are more too. The point I was throwing out there is that a lot of these so called "metalcore" acts have been heavily influenced by other more technical scenes. I think it has made metalcore a more refined sound. Hell...don't get me wrong...bands like Lamb Of God and Hatebreed will be abbrasive as fuck to your ears if you've been jamming to 80's thrash for the last 20 years, but there should be elements of the music you can relate to if you pick the right album.

BTW...TL...I downloaded some Himsa. Definately not what I expected when I heard they were from Seattle. I think I'm gonna go pick up the album. I know what you mean about the singer though...the music makes up for it IMO though...fortunately. ;)

Martyr AD - The Human Condition in 12 Fractions = great cd

I like a bunch of the bands you listed but Atreyu is quite fruity. Quite quite fruity.

Also check out VOD's first album(s/t) - it's way ahead of it's time and is better than most metalcore put out today. I'm not sure exactly how to classify it but I can almost garuntee you will be nowhere near disappointed!

Oh yea, Candiria is a great band that is also hard to classify. Another one I just thougt of is Diecast, great band!

soilkane said:
...Another one I just thougt of is Diecast, great band!
Very true! I knew nothing about Diecast when I saw them play at the Pound a couple years ago. I got free tix to the show from a friend who is really into all those Roadrunner Records bands. It was bunch of Nu Metal music...36 Crazyfists and Hemlock. Chimaira was the headliner. Diecast played after Hemlock and my buddy and I were blown away. They stole the show. I went and bought their CD after that but they don't sound near as powerfull on their album. Not to say it's not a good CD, but it didn't meet my expectations from the show.

Steiner said:
Lamb Of God - As The Palaces Burn
All Out War - Condemned To Suffer
Killswitch Engage - Alive Or Just Breathing
As I Lay Dying - Frail Worlds Collapse
Trivium - Ember To Inferno
God Forbid - Gone Forever
Atreyu - Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses
Chimaira - The Impossibility Of Reason
Caliban - Shadow Hearts
Unearth - The Stings Of Conscience

I could easily name ten more...maybe Machine Head's latest even? Hmmmm. I dunno. Am I the only one digging on all this new metalcore shit lately?

of those bands listed the only ones that i decree are worth a listen are lamb of god, killswitch and all out war. although all out war is more hardcore i think