the metalcore scene?

Good topic! At least I think so cuz it has wide meaning. We can just mention bands that we find as a metalcore or we can throw some more lines about our experiences with some bands than may not be called metalcore ones by others…

Enough with this crap, lemme go straight to the point! I must say that I have not read previous posts in that topic, just typed my feelings about metalcore bands…but I hope my post will not make any mess in here;)

So, I guess the first metalcore band that I have learned was BIOHAZARD back in 1992. I saw Punishment video on HBall and it really kicked my ass! I bought their Urban Discipline tape, of cuz illegal one, and going back home I met a guy who was kinda local legend cuz he had an access to all kinds of alternative music back in the 80`s, had lots of friends in western EU that were sending him any CD he wanted…I asked him, if he heard Biohazard and he smiled at me and asked if I wanted to have a copy of their debut, so I knew that he is the guy cuz this LP wasn’t available here in Poland at the time. The Needle told me that he met Billy somewhere in Holland at their common friend`s party shortly before Biohazard released self titled album and since that time the have been mailing each other. He was the guy, not only to myself!
Some say Bio is HC band but there`s been lots of influences that made their music not so pure as HC itself, many HC bands from NYC said that Bio is HC only with their attitude and I agree with that.
Back I 1994 when they put their SOTWA album, which still is their biggest success, Biohazard gained a peak of their popularity here in PL. When they announced 2 gigs in PL back in August `94, the Warsaw`s one was sold out in almost 200% cuz there was fake tickets and venue for 2000 ppl was fulfilled with almost 3500 Biohazard fans! Of cuz gig was awesome, afterwards the whole band spend about 2 hours outside with their fans, mostly singing along the songs they didn’t play live. But the best thing took place before the gig, in the morning. After bands arrival Bobby Hambel, the best guitar player among dancers and the best dancer among guitar players, decided to go out to visit Warsaw. What did he do? He just got on city bus and asked some young people going to school to show him the city, so they did. And Bobby came back to venue with the bunch of teenagers.
Biohazard came back to Poland twice, and 2 or 3 their gigs that was planed were cancelled. If they play here again of cuz I will be the first one to go to!

In the beginning of the 90`s there was a boom for HC/metal here in PL and many bands played for Polish fans for several times, like Pro-Pain, Dog Eat Dog, Madball, SOIA, Merauder but the very special band to me and for many Polish fans is LIFE OF AGONY. They visited Poland 3 times but the best gig to me was their first one. BTW, last week I celebrated 10th anniversary of going to my first concert of a band from abroad. It was LOA.
Exactly 10 years ago LOA played their last gig on their first EU tour ever. Warsaw, Poland. Freezing cold, band thinking of anything else but going back home. But they had to play one last show on that tour with ProPain and Spudmonsters. I bet they didn’t know what was going to happen when they were about to go on stage…

2000 people that came exactly for the band that put their debut album 4 months before…2000 people that exploded since first tunes of Respect…2000 people that were singing along with Keith through the whole 40 minutes…2000 people that were going crazy along with Joey, Alan, Keith and Sal through the whole gig…2000 people that came brought smile on LOA faces and those smiles were lasting through the whole gig…2000 people that had their hottest and most emotional gig in their whole lifetimes…2000 people that made those 4 New Yorkers feel like this gig never came to its end…2000 people that wanted to have LOA each time they were in EU…2000 people that made LOA having Poland included in their tour schedule…2000 people that made LOA come to Poland twice in 1996…2000 people that still remember and has been waiting for LOA in Poland this year…2000 people for whose Life Of Agony has been a cult-band since they started playing their one of a kind music…

It was my first gig I have ever attended to, and I exactly knew what I was going there for, and afterwards I knew exactly that there was no better way to feel music than live.
And I must admit, that Keith Caputo is my fav singer!

Nowadays, the most impressive metalcore band to me is: KILLSWITCH ENGAGE full of great old school, almost thrash riffs and melodies, both singers are very flexible… They played an awesome gig in Warsaw, fall 2002, are very cool and DTE guys… Their video MLS has been most often on the top of weekly VivaRock charts for 15 months!

Guys, check out our Polish metalcore band HEDFIRST www.hedfirst.com that opened for TestAmenT in Warsaw last year, their album is available in US, soon they will put out their sophomore LP. And they have great photographer, who`s father of metalheads twins;)

xSUIxTOMMYx said:
Good topic! At least I think so cuz it has wide meaning. We can just mention bands that we find as a metalcore or we can throw some more lines about our experiences with some bands than may not be called metalcore ones by others…

Enough with this crap, lemme go straight to the point! I must say that I have not read previous posts in that topic, just typed my feelings about metalcore bands…but I hope my post will not make any mess in here;)

So, I guess the first metalcore band that I have learned was BIOHAZARD back in 1992. I saw Punishment video on HBall and it really kicked my ass! I bought their Urban Discipline tape, of cuz illegal one, and going back home I met a guy who was kinda local legend cuz he had an access to all kinds of alternative music back in the 80`s, had lots of friends in western EU that were sending him any CD he wanted…I asked him, if he heard Biohazard and he smiled at me and asked if I wanted to have a copy of their debut, so I knew that he is the guy cuz this LP wasn’t available here in Poland at the time. The Needle told me that he met Billy somewhere in Holland at their common friend`s party shortly before Biohazard released self titled album and since that time the have been mailing each other. He was the guy, not only to myself!
Some say Bio is HC band but there`s been lots of influences that made their music not so pure as HC itself, many HC bands from NYC said that Bio is HC only with their attitude and I agree with that.
Back I 1994 when they put their SOTWA album, which still is their biggest success, Biohazard gained a peak of their popularity here in PL. When they announced 2 gigs in PL back in August `94, the Warsaw`s one was sold out in almost 200% cuz there was fake tickets and venue for 2000 ppl was fulfilled with almost 3500 Biohazard fans! Of cuz gig was awesome, afterwards the whole band spend about 2 hours outside with their fans, mostly singing along the songs they didn’t play live. But the best thing took place before the gig, in the morning. After bands arrival Bobby Hambel, the best guitar player among dancers and the best dancer among guitar players, decided to go out to visit Warsaw. What did he do? He just got on city bus and asked some young people going to school to show him the city, so they did. And Bobby came back to venue with the bunch of teenagers.
Biohazard came back to Poland twice, and 2 or 3 their gigs that was planed were cancelled. If they play here again of cuz I will be the first one to go to!

In the beginning of the 90`s there was a boom for HC/metal here in PL and many bands played for Polish fans for several times, like Pro-Pain, Dog Eat Dog, Madball, SOIA, Merauder but the very special band to me and for many Polish fans is LIFE OF AGONY. They visited Poland 3 times but the best gig to me was their first one. BTW, last week I celebrated 10th anniversary of going to my first concert of a band from abroad. It was LOA.
Exactly 10 years ago LOA played their last gig on their first EU tour ever. Warsaw, Poland. Freezing cold, band thinking of anything else but going back home. But they had to play one last show on that tour with ProPain and Spudmonsters. I bet they didn’t know what was going to happen when they were about to go on stage…

2000 people that came exactly for the band that put their debut album 4 months before…2000 people that exploded since first tunes of Respect…2000 people that were singing along with Keith through the whole 40 minutes…2000 people that were going crazy along with Joey, Alan, Keith and Sal through the whole gig…2000 people that came brought smile on LOA faces and those smiles were lasting through the whole gig…2000 people that had their hottest and most emotional gig in their whole lifetimes…2000 people that made those 4 New Yorkers feel like this gig never came to its end…2000 people that wanted to have LOA each time they were in EU…2000 people that made LOA having Poland included in their tour schedule…2000 people that made LOA come to Poland twice in 1996…2000 people that still remember and has been waiting for LOA in Poland this year…2000 people for whose Life Of Agony has been a cult-band since they started playing their one of a kind music…

It was my first gig I have ever attended to, and I exactly knew what I was going there for, and afterwards I knew exactly that there was no better way to feel music than live.
And I must admit, that Keith Caputo is my fav singer!

Nowadays, the most impressive metalcore band to me is: KILLSWITCH ENGAGE full of great old school, almost thrash riffs and melodies, both singers are very flexible… They played an awesome gig in Warsaw, fall 2002, are very cool and DTE guys… Their video MLS has been most often on the top of weekly VivaRock charts for 15 months!

Guys, check out our Polish metalcore band HEDFIRST www.hedfirst.com that opened for TestAmenT in Warsaw last year, their album is available in US, soon they will put out their sophomore LP. And they have great photographer, who`s father of metalheads twins;)
It's funny that you mention Biohazard. I remember my buddy in High School wouldn't shut up about those guys so I bought their CD, "Urban Discipline". Not sure if I would consider it "Metalcore"...probably more like "Rapcore" such as bands like Downset. What's in a label though anyways? Biohazard had/has an amazing drummer. I think his name was Billy Shaeffer or something like that. Anyways...first time I ever partook in the pleasures of the sweet leaf I was riding bitch in the backseat of my buddies car with my head planted between 2 three way infinity 6x9's blasting "Business" by Biohazard. I still love that album...if for no other reason than the memories that it brings back.
:Smokedev:

Yea I don't think bio is metalcore, but I'm not a fan so I don't know a lot of their stuff.

But I did rember another good metalcorish band! Arson(check out their first ep? Words Written in Blood) it's absolutely brutal!!

xSUIxTOMMYx said:
Steiner,

Biohazard`s drummer is still and always will be DANNY SCHULER and in fact he is preety good :loco:
LMAO...I was, uh, sorta close, uh, I guess, or something. Thanks. He is an amazing drummer even if I can't remember his name and accidentally named his cousin or uncle or something.

Just picked up God Forbid's new album. Very solid effort. Not quite metalcore and not quite thrash. Sorta like a mix between the 2 genres...somewhat like Machine Head's last album. This band is very talented...although some of the clean vocal harmonies are sorta "nu metalish" IMHO. An all around good album though.

OMDG!!! One of my FAVORITE topics!!

First of all, the correct term is M-A-L-L-C-O-R-E.

2nd..... Chimaira sucks some serious cock. Anyone that changes their sound like some people change their drawers, and has the gall to call themselves the New Wave Of American Heavy Metal needs to be taken out and set on fire and have the flames beaten out with a baseball bat.

3rd.... all those little mallcore bands are slowly but surely changing their sounds as they know the NU scene is dying. Chimaira is the biggest trend jumper of the bunch. How sad is it that bands change their sound to sell records? What happened to playing what you believed in? And that you guys even care is EXTREMELY FUCKING GAY!!

Lemme tell you about the mighty Chimaira and their great singer Mark Hunter. Now he's on the Death compilation, and he's been going around saying how if it wasn't for Chuck, he wouldn't be doing what he's doing today, and how Chuck was a HUGE influence on him. Two years, before they made their Slipknot Jr record (they were catching that trend when it was popular too), Mark Hunter was going around telling people how his influences were the Deftones, AIC, and stuff like that was his influences. NOW he talks about all these "death metal" bands that have been his influences... WHAT THE FUCK??!? Chimaira is a band DESPERATELY SEARCHING FOR CREDIBILITY..... and they will leave no stone unturned. Personally, it makes me wanna puke as I find the timing of all their "stylistic changes" really convenient. Slipknot's popular and they make a Slipknot Jr record? NU metal is on the way out and they change their style again??

I remember back in the day, bands used to make progressions, but apparently today its all about the flavor of the month and what sells records. Integrity is a thing of the past. I am seriously embarrassed for all you guys that can't see through the thin disguise and even remotely support those guys. I support bands that make good music and are into what they do, not some band that makes whatever record is popular. If glam comes back tomorrow, I GUARANTEE Gaymera will be the first band to bust out the lipstick and eyeliner if they thought they could make any money at it.

OK, I have to go puke now......

are you guys into bands in the GrindCore scene at all?

Pig Destroyer
Misery Index
Discordance Axis
early Naplm Death and Caracass? (early! because later on they turned into death metal)
Spazz
Nazum
The Dillinger Escape Plan (although.... they are wierd not always Grind)
Brutal Truth
Terrorizer
Nycthopobic
Dogheda
Repultion

?

shut up, pest666, what do you listen to anyway? Last time I check, Mallcore is bands like Adema, not Killswitch Engage.
I don't consider it metalcore, i call it metal. Still, since alot of people like to label things, I would call it metalcore.

METALinVEINS said:
i prefer the pure metal of bands like testament, forbidden, exodus megadeth etc.. over the new bands
i have to agree with this guy. i prefer thses bands over the others listed above

I've heard a couple of songs by a band called Autumn to Ashes..they are pretty good. Lots of complicated and intricate stuff going on in their music. To me that band is metalcore, and I dig it. Killswitch seems like a combination of Nu-metal and melodic death metal. It's good..but nothing that's going to hold my intrest for very long. I can't stand Chimaria. I think what pest said about them is 100% correct. They are generic to the most extreme degree. I saw them last summer and the first three songs sounded pretty cool...then they decided to play them all again...all their songs sound the same. Definitely not my bag!

pest666 said:
OMDG!!! One of my FAVORITE topics!!

First of all, the correct term is M-A-L-L-C-O-R-E.

2nd..... Chimaira sucks some serious cock. Anyone that changes their sound like some people change their drawers, and has the gall to call themselves the New Wave Of American Heavy Metal needs to be taken out and set on fire and have the flames beaten out with a baseball bat.

3rd.... all those little mallcore bands are slowly but surely changing their sounds as they know the NU scene is dying. Chimaira is the biggest trend jumper of the bunch. How sad is it that bands change their sound to sell records? What happened to playing what you believed in? And that you guys even care is EXTREMELY FUCKING GAY!!

Lemme tell you about the mighty Chimaira and their great singer Mark Hunter. Now he's on the Death compilation, and he's been going around saying how if it wasn't for Chuck, he wouldn't be doing what he's doing today, and how Chuck was a HUGE influence on him. Two years, before they made their Slipknot Jr record (they were catching that trend when it was popular too), Mark Hunter was going around telling people how his influences were the Deftones, AIC, and stuff like that was his influences. NOW he talks about all these "death metal" bands that have been his influences... WHAT THE FUCK??!? Chimaira is a band DESPERATELY SEARCHING FOR CREDIBILITY..... and they will leave no stone unturned. Personally, it makes me wanna puke as I find the timing of all their "stylistic changes" really convenient. Slipknot's popular and they make a Slipknot Jr record? NU metal is on the way out and they change their style again??

I remember back in the day, bands used to make progressions, but apparently today its all about the flavor of the month and what sells records. Integrity is a thing of the past. I am seriously embarrassed for all you guys that can't see through the thin disguise and even remotely support those guys. I support bands that make good music and are into what they do, not some band that makes whatever record is popular. If glam comes back tomorrow, I GUARANTEE Gaymera will be the first band to bust out the lipstick and eyeliner if they thought they could make any money at it.

OK, I have to go puke now......
They can't win with you no matter what they do. Had they made another crappy nu metalish album you would say they suck. But instead they went for a more technical sound...and you still say they suck. Fuck the band if you make it feels better. I listen to music for the music...not the people behind the instruments. Black Sabbath started out as a blues band. Pantera started with glam-rock. It's not like they've commited themselves to a sound.

Bottom line...Chimaira's last album makes my ears happy so I listen to it periodically.

periodically..... that doesn't say much for the album. and you're dyslexic, maybe you hear the album differently than others do. think about it.... maybe you're not hearing the album as it actually is.

I admit I came from the brutal death metal/melodic death metal scene mixed in with hardcore music scene, I didnt dress like all these fashion core bands do now and days, still looked like a normal metal head. Hardcore/Metal bands I listened to were Coalesce, Creation is Cruxifiction, Human Bodied Flawd, Tho Ko Losi, Suicide Nation, Bloodlet, PG.99, but this was back in 1995-1998. My own band called Brides of Christ had influnces from King Crimson, various hardcore influnces, with a Meshuggah, Assuck, Cynic vibe.

Alot has changed, and bands like Lamb of God, God Forbid have this super charged sound that works really well mixing extreme metal with hardcore. I dont really care much for the way people dress in the scene but I find it funny that it sells records to look like that reguardless of how the music sounds like, thus the fashion core factor applies.

I am very selective when it comes to these metalcore bands, cause all of it border lines on nu-metal which I am not really for. I just like my music grim, aggressive, refreshing, "not excessive hardcore break downs" for collored shirt kids to swing arms too, more technical. Basic hardcore bands with 3 chords per song I dislike same goes with Black Metal, its trash and ZzZzZ. I am a big fan of Between the Burried and me and The Black D but thats about it.