THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard Petrucci's playing sound as inspired as it is on these two songs since LTE2/SFAM.

I definately agree! Perhaps G3 has been good for his guitar soloing... I loved it, and he was doing more sweep picking as well as alternate in random string-skips and all sorts of crazy stuff instead of just screaming up and down chromatic scales... :headbang:

The song itself is kinda meh, but the chorus is catchy and the instrumental section is amazing (Even though it sounds almost identical to Dance of Eternity)

The guitar solo blew imho.

I just listened to The Dark Eternal Night. Didn't really like the verse that much (damn I wish MP wouldn't sing as much :heh: ) but the instrumental bit slayed! Loved JR's ragtime solo, and JP's solo was an absolute monster! :headbang:

Agreed, although with better production i recon the verse singing will become abit more palatable. What i like about Dark eternal night compared to constant motion is the chorus - a catchy, melodic, harmonised hook :headbang:

...and yes, the solo section does go off - rudess rag time's fucking rule :kickass:

yeah metallica's, err dream theater's new song isnt too bad.

but seriously is it just me who thinks the verses just sound like metallica, even the end of the chorus, that "forever more, into the night" blah blah good job theres a quality instrumental or else i just wouldnt bother listening to this track.

Actually a few pages back it was mentioned numerous times the similarities to Metallica, so I'd say no, it's not just you...

On that, I wonder if Metallica's new album will sound like Images And Words... :lol: of course I'm being sarcastic, that would never happen...

Grunge was more "real" than metal/hair-metal???
Let's not forget the big record corporations that you hate so much.
They oversaturated both TV & radio airwaves with that shit called "grunge".
If it's all you're exposed to, you tend to forget about the other talent laden forms of music, remember, this was around the time that Al Gore was still working on the internet, and TV/radio was the main source of exposure. I HATE grunge, not only for the talentless hacks who nudged metal out of the mainstream, but for the disgusting amount of clones it inbred. I'll bet there are more Pearl Jam clones than DT clones. They ALL suck! Hey Kurt Cobain, NICE shot! Too bad the others didn't follow suit.

Am I the only one who noticed a severe lack of keyboard in Constant Motion? There's the solo towards the end, and a few minor parts here and there, but it seems Rudess is just doubling JM & JP for most of it.

I like Constant Motion. The verses remind me of Metallica a little, but I can get over that. Not that Metallica is bad (Not the 80's material anyway) but I don't really like hearing other bands' sound in another band. The chorus is kinda weak, but that doesn't take away from the song. It's very intense and I like that.

The Dark Enternal Night isn't too bad either. I see they kinda went for the death metalish sound for the verses by distorting the vocals, and at first I didn't like it, but I got used to it. Atleast it wasn't full on RORORORO.... Anyway, The Instrumental break is pretty cool, but I honestly don't care that much for Petrucci's solo. The beginning of it sounds alot like Mechanix/Four Horsemen and it's just unisteresting to me. That kinda sucks cause I love John's solos. Jorden's ragtime bit is funny, and then the video game-ish music after is funny as well. The chorus is the best part of the song.

Dream theater = fags.

Hair metal > dream theater.

Speaking of... who here has Metal Health on vinyl? Anyone? Anyone? That's right, i do. probably j-dub too if anyone.

:lol: Is this a GOOD thing or a BAD thing? I DID have it on vinyl, but I dumped 5 napa valley crates of records before I moved. I didn't get rid of everything, but sadly, that one didn't make the cut. I DO have it on cassette! Does that count????

I just listened to Constant Motion... I think it sucks! DT are trying to be something they´re not. I think it just sounds thin and lifeless, same goes for LaBrie... His attempt to sound "tough" is just ridiculous.. As does the backing vocals. Bring back Awake!

:lol: Is this a GOOD thing or a BAD thing? I DID have it on vinyl, but I dumped 5 napa valley crates of records before I moved. I didn't get rid of everything, but sadly, that one didn't make the cut. I DO have it on cassette! Does that count????

You kidding? That album RULES :lol:

And cassette is acceptable. I used to have Grim Reaper's "See you in Hell" on cassette but i think it broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.