THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
New DT
As far as the songs i like 5.5 out of 8 ( the point five not so sure of one tune Yet )
Thats not bad
I give it a way better than last effort

OK, update.

So I take my screwed-up CD back to Best Buy and get another one. Just in case, I had my CD player out in the car so I could check it right there. And wouldn't you know it, THAT one was screwed-up, too. At least they actually gave my money back since I'd found 2 bad ones.

I went to Borders, and thankfully, the one I got there seems to work--or at least didn't screw up on the last minute and a half of the album. I'm listening to it all the way through now to check, but HOPEFULLY this means the problem wasn't massively widespread. But you might want to think about where you buy this in the States, even if Best Buy has the better deal...

Not at all sure about the negative criticisms of the new album. I think it's quite awesome.

I agree. It's probably the best since Scenes.

I really enjoy the thematic/lyrical content of this album, as well as the music itself. For one thing, La Brie has really improved over the early days (even though Awake is still my favorite DT album) in terms of being easy to understand. I can really understand almost all the lyrics on this album without looking at the booklet. That's something that can't be said about many singers. I love the political lyrics on Prophets of War. In The Presence of Enemies may be the darkest thing DT has done (in theme and lyrics anyway). I don't know if it's supposed to be religious, but it also makes me think of Darth Sidious and Lord Voldemort. Nerdy, yes, but those are clearly some pretty \m/ characters...

There's a lot I want to say right now, but I worry it won't all make sense due to :Smokin: o_O

Lorem...OK, now I feel better that I wasn't the only one thinking of Darth Sidious! :lol:

My favorites, though, are "Repentance" and "The Ministry of Lost Souls." The latter has an almost Opeth-like story, and I love it. On the other hand, I generally hate political lyrics, and "Prophets of War" is no exception. Not exactly what I want to spend my fun-time listening to when I can turn on the news and see all of that.

Lorem...OK, now I feel better that I wasn't the only one thinking of Darth Sidious! :lol:

My favorites, though, are "Repentance" and "The Ministry of Lost Souls." The latter has an almost Opeth-like story, and I love it. On the other hand, I generally hate political lyrics, and "Prophets of War" is no exception. Not exactly what I want to spend my fun-time listening to when I can turn on the news and see all of that.

I'm with you there, I definately would rather my music was separate to all the politics and problems in the world...

I've listened to it twice and just can't seem to really get into it. I guess I'm just not a fan of Dream Theater's music. But then again I'm a fan of Six Degrees, I think it's their best music.

I like some songs. Dark eternal night has some cool riffing and Repentance sounds good, but the rest of the album just doesn't click with me.

I got my copy today! :headbang:

I love the booklet, really good production, and photos that actually look good of the guys with their instruments instead of just posing... Really looking foward to giving this a listen right through and watching the dvd... :D

I got the album a few days ago, wanted to listen to it a whole bunch before commenting on it. It's fucking ACE, I love it. Also, I just watched the special DVD, and I only noticed the lack on Myung like 3/4 of the way :lol:

I wonder if their song The Silent Man was based off him.

The documentary is hilarious. Labrie is a funny guy! :) Last line of the album "I do not fiiiight for youuuu! Motherfucker!"

I really love the new album btw..

The last part of the solo on Constant Motion is as fast as those "I AM YOUR GOD" videos on youtube, where they speed it up and people die.

But they didn't speed those up... JP just always plays at 6,000,000 bpm...

:lol: But yeah you're right, that single string chromatic run sounds pretty insane...

Also, I found JP's solo in The Dark Eternal Night reminding me quite a bit of Ron Jarzombek... Did anyone else find this as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.