THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations...

Did you miss it this time?

Ok...get your Etch-a-Sketch out & get ready for this. l don't want to have to go over this again.

No...l got the demeaning, derogative, & meally mouth comments about DT and DT fans the first time you've said them. Trying to put a nice coat of paint over your useless degrading drivel with statements like "l like Dream Theater" doesn't float. You totally discredit yourself "enjoying Dream Theater" when you shit all over them. l never said anybody had to be a fanboy to like them...but your juvenile comments would lead anyone to believe you're a hater. It's that simple. It's not criticism l see...but pure contempt at a band that sits atop a genre, deservedly so, and their fans. l see obvious envy that your favorite band(s) can't get to the top (and never will) and enjoy the notoriety that DT does. It is the way that it is and it's not going to change anytime soon. So...as l see it...you're going to continue being unhappy with the status of your favorite band(s) and transmit that feeling of uncontentment to the band that currently holds the #1 spot. Therefore, Dream Theater is your target. What a sad state to be in...you may want to seek counseling.

Pedestrian? Yeah...and that is representative of about 80% of your posts. Fairly easy for you to recognize huh.

l'm glad we had this discussion...with an admittance of your issues and a revamping of your circle of internet friends...you can take the first step on the road to recovery.

I've done quite a bit of scientific research, and I've discovered that listening to Dream Theater is in fact destructive to the listener's personality. :ill:

Within 48 hours, symptoms of listening to Dream Theater include:

- Dizziness
- Nausea
- Vomiting
- Over-analytical thoughts
- Extreme love of a whiny, nasal vocal style
- OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- Loss of feeling in all limbs
- Arrogance regarding all non-prog/non-technical music
- Loss of emotion
- Fictional belief that John Petrucci is the best guitarist ever and can melt the sun with his solos
- Loss of reality
- Frustration (when your peers cannot understand or comprehend a 19/16 groove)
- False belief that all bassists who play four-strings are inferior to John Myung
- Expecting all musicians to play spider-like riffs
- Watching a spider not crawl in time with The Dance of Eternity and promptly killing it
- Extreme anger towards drummers whose kits do not have three bass drums, thirty-seven rack toms, sixteen octobans, and five full octaves of plastic blocks
- Shouting demeaning comments at all non-Dream Theater musicians (regardless of said musicians' playing style)
- Constant "black-or-white" thinking
- Near-orgasmic feeling when a random measure of 3/16 is thrown into a normal riff just for the sake of mind-fucking the common, "lower-class" listener

You forgot "gas with oily discharge"

Ok...get your Etch-a-Sketch out & get ready for this. l don't want to have to go over this again.

No...l got the demeaning, derogative, & meally mouth comments about DT and DT fans the first time you've said them. Trying to put a nice coat of paint over your useless degrading drivel with statements like "l like Dream Theater" doesn't float. You totally discredit yourself "enjoying Dream Theater" when you shit all over them. l never said anybody had to be a fanboy to like them...but your juvenile comments would lead anyone to believe you're a hater. It's that simple. It's not criticism l see...but pure contempt at a band that sits atop a genre, deservedly so, and their fans. l see obvious envy that your favorite band(s) can't get to the top (and never will) and enjoy the notoriety that DT does. It is the way that it is and it's not going to change anytime soon. So...as l see it...you're going to continue being unhappy with the status of your favorite band(s) and transmit that feeling of uncontentment to the band that currently holds the #1 spot. Therefore, Dream Theater is your target. What a sad state to be in...you may want to seek counseling.

Pedestrian? Yeah...and that is representative of about 80% of your posts. Fairly easy for you to recognize huh.

l'm glad we had this discussion...with an admittance of your issues and a revamping of your circle of internet friends...you can take the first step on the road to recovery.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

*deep intake of breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously some of the most pretentious bullshit i've ever read. Congratulations on one of the best posts this board has ever seen. Unless you're serious...

False belief that all bassists who play four-strings are inferior to John Myung

:lol:
For the record, that has nothing to do with the number of strings a certain person may or may not play - Myung is a machine :worship: definitely in my top 5 or so bass players along with the likes of Claypool, LaRue, Pastorius and Hamm

@ Ascension - Just let it die, we all know you love Dream Theater, and we all know that certain people dont quite share your enthusiasm for the band. No amount of sarcastic rebuttals (both ways) is ever going to change anyone’s opinions...

- Expecting all musicians to play spider-like riffs
- Watching a spider not crawl in time with The Dance of Eternity and promptly killing it

I think I literally almost shat myself with hilarity while reading this! :loco:

You totally discredit yourself "enjoying Dream Theater" when you shit all over them. l never said anybody had to be a fanboy to like them...but your juvenile comments would lead anyone to believe you're a hater. It's that simple. It's not criticism l see...but pure contempt at a band that sits atop a genre, deservedly so, and their fans. l see obvious envy that your favorite band(s) can't get to the top (and never will) and enjoy the notoriety that DT does. It is the way that it is and it's not going to change anytime soon. So...as l see it...you're going to continue being unhappy with the status of your favorite band(s) and transmit that feeling of uncontentment to the band that currently holds the #1 spot. Therefore, Dream Theater is your target. What a sad state to be in...you may want to seek counseling.

Get over yourself, man. Holy crap. See above, re: shat myself with hilarity? It may be hard to fathom, and even harder to accept that sometimes an overly-analytical Psych 101 approach is NOT always correct, but someone can enjoy something and be capable of deriding it at the same time. In fact, I will listen to the mockery from a fan over a dedicated hater any day, because they actually know what they are talking about.

Enjoying a band does not have to make you believe in Stalin-esque, humorless devotion. Let's draw another diagram, like I have previously done...

Ex: METALLICA
Subject: My love for previously listed band
- I began listening to metal because of Metallica, they are my "A New Hope" of music. Kill Em All through the Black Album are some of the greatest pieces of musical history, and personal enjoyment, I can imagine. I love Load and ReLoad. I love Garage, Inc. I quite enjoy S&M. Now...(and wait for it, because this is crazy, what I'm about to do here)...I think Metallica are a bunch of wankers. If I ever saw Lars Ulrich, I would laugh, because I think he is a pathetic man and a pretty sub-par drummer. James Hetfield is an egomaniac, and a bit of redneck psychopath. Kirk, well, I really got nothing against Kirk. Do I think St. Anger is one of the worst albums ever recorded? Yep. Will I still be one of the first in line to hear the new Metallica CD? Yep. I am aware that Load and ReLoad are very below average, recycled "hard rock", but I love the music for what it is. Do I think they sold out? Yes! Do I hate them for their success? Hell no. Good for them, they figured out the market and still claim to be making music they love. Do I wish that one of my favorite bands, Armored Saint, was as big as Metallica? Not at all. Yet, I LOVE Armored Saint FAR MORE than Metallica. It is possible to not begrudge someone success, even if you don't enjoy everything they've done.

Don't give us BS about disliking specific bands because other music we listen to isn't as popular. If I may pull some Psych 101 crap on you then, your reaction is one of the first go to defense mechanisms used by those who don't fully admit to themselves the legitimacy of the opponent's argument. By this I mean, you see someone degrading Dream Theater, and your first line of attack is to label them as jealous. This shows obvious signs of delusion towards the topic at hand, and an inability to have a light-handed argument without getting extremely personal and feeling singularly attacked.

Do I believe everything in the above paragraph? Not completely. If I did, I'd be a pretentious prick.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

*deep intake of breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously some of the most pretentious bullshit i've ever read. Congratulations on one of the best posts this board has ever seen. Unless you're serious...

I completely return your sentiment of friendship.

Personally, DT is in my top five bands.

They have always been characitures of themselves, as I strive to become myself...but they still make some really great music. ACOS was my favorite song for a very long time. The last few albums have been good enough for me to buy, but I think Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory was the last album of theirs that I really got into.

As for Metallica, I really got into them when I picked up ...And Justice for All, but when "The Black Album" came out, I started losing interest. The songs were not up to snuff in my opinion, especially after seeing everything leading up from Kill 'Em All to ...And Justice for All. I have no interest at all in picking up any new Metallica.

Oh, i just pissed myself laughing at these previous posts, i love it, I agree with a lot of it, Personally i like Dream Theater more than Symphony X but hey thats just my opinion, i just enjoy both bands music for what they are and what great music they have made and will continue to make as i cant be fucked with pointless arguments over who is the better guitar'st, John Petrucci or Michael Romeo etc etc...

FUCKING LOL at Ass-scention. :lol:

You win a friggin prize buddy. You've set a new record for sticking one's head in the sand and I don't think anyone will ever surpass it. A-mazing.

But but but tubbs.... we know you're just envious of dream theater! 80% of your posts are pedestrian (brb looking up that word on wikipedia) and omgz dude, you... you're mean! yeah. a real meany! :cry: and I know you really hate dream theater cause you're jealous of their #1 popularity! And uh... yeah they're the best ever! if you disagree you're wrong and you need counseling with mike portnoy and his 12 step program!

/wrist

Mmmmm...

Sometimes its good to come here to see some Dream Theater discussion that isn't one-sided and all "OMFGZ MP YOU ARE GOD!!". Although i'm a big fan of Dream Theater and have respect for them, I can stand back and say "Well, i dont like this album/song" or whatever.

TO ALL OTT DT FANS/'DT FANBOYS':
While it isn't great to see one of your fav bands and its fans being attacked here, you just have to move along and think 'well thats his/her opinion'. Starting an argument over it is POINTLESS. (as proven here) If you enjoy DT, go and listen to them - dont worry because some guy on a forum doesn't like them.

I think we need a new 'Official Dream Theater Argument Thread' :rolleyes:

But but but tubbs.... we know you're just envious of dream theater! 80% of your posts are pedestrian (brb looking up that word on wikipedia) and omgz dude, you... you're mean! yeah. a real meany! :cry: and I know you really hate dream theater cause you're jealous of their #1 popularity! And uh... yeah they're the best ever! if you disagree you're wrong and you need counseling with mike portnoy and his 12 step program!

/wrist
ROFL.

Hmm ok...l guess calling someone an ass is acceptable on this forum...l didn't know this. Juvenile.

just ignore Kenneth. By disagreeing with him, you've already established (in his eyes) that you are an inferior person he's just going to keep spouting his elitist bullshit in your direction until he runs out of shit to say and puts you on his ignore list.

LOL that's all l need to know about this sad individual.

Hmm ok...l guess calling someone an ass is acceptable on this forum...l didn't know this. Juvenile.

Quote:
just ignore Kenneth. By disagreeing with him, you've already established (in his eyes) that you are an inferior person he's just going to keep spouting his elitist bullshit in your direction until he runs out of shit to say and puts you on his ignore list.

LOL that's all l need to know about this sad individual.

Hai2u... welcome to Kenneth's ignore list support group. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.