The Official Good Television Thread

Season finale of The Walking Dead was pretty meh, but watching the fallout from fans has been golden

Lol it was so lame. Someone dies and they're going to make you wait until October to find out who. That's gotta be a slap right in the fans face right?

Reactions: Dak
Wooooow. How the fuck did they fuck that iconic comic moment up so fucking badly. Jesus christ. What the fucking fuck. How in the fuck. ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS ADAPT THE FUCKING COMIC. YOU BASICALLY HAD THE STORYBOARD TELLING YOU EXACTLY HOW TO GET IT RIGHT IN YOUR FUCKING HANDS. Jesus fucking fuck. That was the stupidest fucking shit I've ever seen in my life. So much for them getting the Negan arc right.

Reactions: unknown
Season finale of The Walking Dead was pretty meh, but watching the fallout from fans has been golden
I'm a couple of episodes behind but a friend of mine who has been a massive fan since day one put up an FB post saying she couldn't watch the whole episode. Ooh controversial.

Yesterday I did a quick Google search on what is the best Brittish comedy series ever and this came up, weird that I'd never heard of it before but I managed to hire out 6 seasons from my local video store so I might get comfortable and watch a couple.
image.jpeg

It's not bad but I've never found it very funny. It's light entertainment. It'll show up as the 'best' British comedy for the same reason that shows like Friends and Cheers show up as the 'best' American comedies. They appeal to the masses. And that generally means not being so great.

I'm Alan Partridge, Saxondale, The Thick of It, Peep Show, The Office, Extras, The Day Today, Brass Eye, Jam, 15 Storeys High, The Trip, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Snuff Box, Ideal, Bottom, The Young Ones, Green Wing, Black Books, Big Train, Spaced, Blackadder, The Fast Show, Spitting Image...

So many far, far funnier programmes.

Light entertainment that's far more enjoyable than Friends or Cheers for me anyway. It's not overly funny but the characters are great. I just finished watching 'The Russians are coming' from season one where Dell finds a shitload of lead under a pile of bricks that he bought and Rodney talks him into building a shelter against potential Russian nuke attack and wears a UK Decay shirt! Which is cool as hell. Also grandpa shares some genuinely moving wartime stories. I like this show but it is light entertainment with characters that make me want to keep watching another episode.

Thanks for those recommendations I love Brittish comedy and most of those you mentioned I've never heard of and I am definitely going to try to watch them over the next year or so! I've taken a screen shot for future reference. That Gareth Marenghi's Darkplace is hilarious and I'd forgotten about it. Some friends used to gather at my place and smoke bongs every time that was on...I'm gonna try and get that on DVD.
Nicholas Lyndhurst is a good actor he was good in Black Adder as well.

Last edited:
I've watched one episode of House of Cards only because I'm still working on my house and I'm not over there everyday (I have internet access but no furniture. Priorities). Can't wait to move in so I can binge watch the rest of it.

Better Call Saul is great this year.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is hilarious and bizarre. I definitely second that. Wish it'd be released on dvd stateside.
Especially this guy! This guy is fucking hilarious and I saw him in some other show with the same regal voice, I wish I knew what that show was because this guy definitely deserves his own show.
image.jpeg

Especially this guy! This guy is fucking hilarious and I saw him in some other show with the same regal voice, I wish I knew what that show was because this guy definitely deserves his own show.
View attachment 4917
Yeah he was in The Mighty Boosh and The I.T. Crowd and a couple of other things I think. A lot of that crew overlap on each other's shows.

Reactions: JontRevolting
The only thing that's currently going that I really care about is BCS so I checked out Black Sails.

Glad I did. I was expecting something ridiculous like Spartacus but it manages to feel a lot more like a 'serious drama' like Rome whilst still being, because it's pirates, and a prequel to Treasure Island, pretty ridiculous. The guy playing Flint, who I just found out is Maggie Smith's son, is great. Plus there's loads of tits, pubic hair and cutlasses.

Guess I need to check that out.

I would truly watch just a show based on Mike Ehrmentraut...give me an hour each week of Jonathan Banks looking grumpy and sucking air through his teeth and then breaking down crying, and I'd be set

+1000

Better Call Saul is great this year.

They are knocking it out of the park.

I would actually also maybe watch a show about Kim Wexler. I've been really impressed with how they've written her character and her arc. Howard (the tan guy) is also a fascinating character...I never know if I should think he's an asshole (keeping Kim in doc review) or logical/consistent

I would actually also maybe watch a show about Kim Wexler. I've been really impressed with how they've written her character and her arc. Howard (the tan guy) is also a fascinating character...I never know if I should think he's an asshole (keeping Kim in doc review) or logical/consistent

I read interviews with both actors today. I would probably watch something with all the primary actors in BCS (can't say the same for BB at all). I thought Patrick Fabian had a really good take on Howard's character, as far as the reason for the asshole or not conundrum (of course now I can't find it easily). Basically that the first H in HHM is Howard's (deceased) father, and as he revealed to Kim when she quit, he didn't go solo because of his dad and there's a little wistfulness there. So but now his dad's legacy is his to uphold. So he gets kind of real with her when she quits, but as soon as she's gone it's back to Head of the Business time.

Rhea Seehorn is also doing a phenomenal job acting as a balance to Odenkirk's genius. BCS is, although it leans a little on BB to establish a meaningful backdrop, so much more interesting of a story because the characters are just so much better. The writers/creators recognized which characters from BB would actually have interesting backstories and then went to create them. Walt and no one close to him really had anything interesting whatsoever. What made them interesting is precisely the fact that all this crazy shit was going on and they weren't inherently interesting people.

Absolutely. Breaking Bad was just a trainwreck in terms of emotion. I remember developing anxiety watching some episodes. The only character really worth rooting for was Jesse (though I rooted for Mike), and even then he wasn't the greatest person to root for. Don't get me wrong, Aaron Paul is a fantastic actor, but I didn't particularly care for his character. It's ironic that the one "good" character in BB, Skyler, was pretty much roundly hated by everybody. BCS presents much more complex and fleshed out characters.

If you find that interview, post the link. I'd be interested in reading it.

Last edited:
Yeah I read somewhere that they were originally planning to kill Jesse in season 1, but they kept him around. It would've been interesting to see the show play out differently without Walt's surrogate son

Yeah I read somewhere that they were originally planning to kill Jesse in season 1, but they kept him around. It would've been interesting to see the show play out differently without Walt's surrogate son

I think the show would have been better off. Walt's actual son was really the only clean person in the show. Walt solo was much more interesting than having to deal with a constant fuckup at every point. I kept wishing Jesse's constant stupidity in simply everything would be his undoing but the writers kept improbably saving him via more stupidity. Walt had hiccups due to ignorance of the world he was dealing with, Jesse was an imbecile who didn't have even a sort of bent moral compass. He was a dumb and a piece of shit. He wasn't interesting. Skyler wasn't interesting. Walt was only interesting in that he was a typical "living life in quiet desperation" kind of guy who snapped, in trying to take care of a shitty wife and a disabled kid. In fact, the "I am the one who knocks" scene I fucking cheered for the dude because he found his goddamn balls. Unfortunately, the sort of society we live in attempts to separate balls from morals, and BB plays right into that. Mike, in BCS, where he talks Nacho out of murdering Tuco and the reasons why, and then follows through with the new plan, probably enacted one of the greatest TV drama moments of practical morality.