The Official Good Television Thread

Game of Thrones has one or two great characters along with a bunch I don't give a fuck about. The episodes tend to range from average to good, though rarely great.

It's overhyped to shit but, like most things that are, it gets too much hate from people that aren't into it.

I think it's awesome. It's like a Graveland album brought to life. And yes, there are arcs that aren't quite as interesting, unnecessary tangents, and elements I could do without (I really wish the ice zombies weren't a thing) but for a story with such a large scope, it has really high batting average. The central characters and arcs are quite compelling and I love the fact that there are no sacred cows. It creates a sense of anticipation that most fantasy simply fails to create.

Reactions: Phylactery
24 - always loved the music and the "Previously on 24" part, and Jack's monologue in Season 1 about it being the longest day of his life that changes as the episodes go on.

This one hints at Nina.

Buffy

Game of Thrones - I really like the music and the map for this one.

The X - Files - Some may find it cheesy but I actually find it rather creepy and unsettling.

Not much of a fan of the show but I quite like the theme for True Blood.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
nice. yeah, TRUE BLOOD is always the first example that comes to mind of a show that never lived up to its opening. i love all that stuff in 24, the beep of the clock, the split screens, basically every gimmick works incredibly well. buffy and x-files themes are godly.

TWIN PEAKS instantly comes to mind. i feel like there's loads that i never skip 'cause they're great, but struggling to think atm.

always liked the one for LUTHER:

and X-MEN of course:

I realize fighting GoT spoilers is basically a lost cause but can we at least refrain from posting unmarked fucking spoilers for that or any other show in this thread? I've already seen the episode so I'm only pissed off on principle, but it pisses me off nontheless.

re: favorite opening credits; There's Twin Peaks obviously. Mad Men's opening is just perfect in its brevity. Dexter's is very clever and fitting. True Detecive s01 had a good one. And of course the Sopranos' opening is immortal.

Also this:

And if anime counts:

I realize fighting GoT spoilers is basically a lost cause but can we at least refrain from posting unmarked fucking spoilers for that or any other show in this thread? I've already seen the episode so I'm only pissed off on principle, but it pisses me off nontheless.

Fair point. I've corrected this oversight. Hopefully, no one was spoiled before I edited the post.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Regarding the latest GoT episode;

I was more shocked by the direwolf head reveal than any recent death in the series. There is a theory however that the head is not actually Shaggydog's but just some random wolf head being falsely presented as Shaggydog's by the Smalljon to get in Ramsay's good graces simply to betray him later. He may have refused to kneel or swear fealty just so that he would not dishonor himself by betraying him later.

Also I'm glad this forum has actual spoiler tags now. Good job Deron.

True Detective, definitely.

Our of curiosity, any fans here of Penny Dreadful? It's not a work of genius or anything, and it's a particularly cheesy show... but damn it, I've fallen in love with it. It doesn't take itself too seriously, has fun with its source material - which, by the way, makes the show way more enjoyable, especially if you're familiar with all its source material (i.e. basically every major 19thC gothic text).

Reactions: Trodden
So, 1000 years later...
Twin Peaks and X-files are easily my favorite openings. Alot of anime series aren't bad either. Like .hack//SIGN (one of the best OSTs ever btw) and Witch Hunter Robin.

Started watching iZombie, really good actually. Kind of reminds me of Veronica Mars or Buffy which is only positive.