The Official Good Television Thread

the previous doctor flopped (i love peter capaldi but he was a weird choice) which is probably why they've chosen now to try something controversial to generate interest.

i'm basically agreeing with you brah. my suspicion is they know it's a risk which is why they've waited until they had nothing to lose because they're losing viewers by the million regardless. people have been pushing for this for years but no way in hell were they gonna do it right after, say, the very successful david tennant run.

i wouldn't be that surprised if it was a success though given my perception of dr who's fanbase as being exclusively made up of housewives and teenage girls.

I think die-hard Doctor Who fans will watch it and like it regardless, but I will be very surprised if it is a success in comparison to the franchise's track record.

But I see what you're saying about them perhaps taking a chance by doing something controversial, it might be a win for them and if it is, they've avoided further dropping views. I didn't really think about it that way.

I was more considering it in the context of all these companies going down the route of political feminist agendas like Marvel in spite of financial failings and I still think that plays some part in this, it is the BBC after all.

oh sure, no doubt that was the main reason they've done it (actually, now i think about it, the timing of the announcement was conveniently placed just before today's revelations about their pay structure still benefiting males, so maybe it was a preemptive strike against accusations of sexism), i was just talking about the timing.

i have no problem with this particular choice to be honest. it's annoying when lore is betrayed in service of an agenda, but it seems perfectly reasonable to me that the doctor would come back in a female form every now and then. *shrug*

I literally do not care, I mean the Doctor canonically is not required to be a man of course and I think people would be less apprehensive if the context of this casting was different.

Feminists everywhere are going on and on about how they're "taking all your favourite stuff" and people are expected to not think it's some agenda thing? Human nature just doesn't work like that. :lol:

But I haven't really watched the show consistently since like two series ago.

(actually, now i think about it, the timing of the announcement was conveniently placed just before today's revelations about their pay structure still benefiting males, so maybe it was a preemptive strike against accusations of sexism)

I hadn't considered this, you're probably absolutely right on the mark. :tickled:

i wouldn't be that surprised if it was a success though given my perception of dr who's fanbase as being exclusively made up of housewives and teenage girls.
I think it can be interesting tbh, I have nothing against a female Dr. But this above is one of the reasons I think it may flop actually, the fanbase are mostly girls that identity with the companion. Ordinary person caught up in an adventure with a mysterious and handsome stranger. I don't think that pull will be as strong without the sexual tension, or well the tension may still be there but most girls still prefer boys.

I may be wrong on this and thinking too old fashioned. But it is a classic scenario that has proven popular and the fanbase is some prof of it.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
I caught a fucking badass episode of teen Titans the other morning and am now seeking similar examples in modern animation. I've never been a big TT fan, too hyper and stuff, but this was pretty sweet (gets going about 30 seconds in). Old school art style, epic layouts, rockin tunes. Any recommendations? Key word being modern.

I'd love to see another metalocalypse type of thing but power metal focused re: overall aesthetic. More dragons and glory.

Fuck, I posted about the new episode in the wrong thead. I'll repeat myself: 'Nice new GoT episode. Missandei is a great bitch. I thought Grey Worm was impotent tho, lol.'

Also, I liked the scene with Arya and Nymeria. Kinda sentimental.

thought arya decided it wasn't her dire wolf, it was just another one hanging out when i thought they were all extinct or something

i more enjoy that the dorn and iron islands are no longer included in the grand scheme SO NOTHING WILL EVER FUCKING HAPPEN IN THIS SHOW

thought arya decided it wasn't her dire wolf, it was just another one hanging out when i thought they were all extinct or something

i more enjoy that the dorn and iron islands are no longer included in the grand scheme SO NOTHING WILL EVER FUCKING HAPPEN IN THIS SHOW

I've read it was actually her dire wolf, but it was no longer affectionate to Arya.