The Official Good Television Thread

The hottest women on GOT are Dany, Messandi, and Margaery. I found the character of Yrgitte to be really sexy, but the actress is too skinny for my liking.

I'm starting to get worried. Dany and Tyrion seem to be fucking up this war right and left. They lost most of their fleet, the Unsullied are trapped, and the show is telegraphing that one of the dragons is gonna die, and probably soon (I thought each dragon was worth more than an army. Now a big crossbow is gonna wipe them out? Some advanced weaponry there :smug:). Maybe the return of Jorah will give team Dany some military sense.

So I know @Einherjar86 watches (or watched) Orphan Black, but has anyone else here? I'm continually amazed at just how good the show really is.

This season has been fun so far. I really like its politics, but I feel like it gets a bit too swept up in current social trendiness sometimes. I enjoyed it more when it was reveling in its weird, underground, darkwave/witch-house technogothic atmosphere. The Donna Haraway nod in last season's episode titles was excellent, though.

I also have a feeling that very few people here watch/enjoy Orphan Black... :whistle:

I watch Orphan Black and like it. I think it is dragging on abit now though. Too much politics and too little mystery imo. And the "original" characters are hardly there anymore like Felix, Alison or Helena.

@Einherjar86 could you recommend me some TV shows?

Currently, some of my favorites are:

Fortitude (2015-)
Mr. Robot (2015-)
The Expanse (2015-)
Orphan Black (2013-)

Of all those, Fortitude is the weirdest. The first season was really well-written, but it was a slow burner. I think it wasn't until the penultimate episode of the first season that I knew what was going on. Second season isn't as good, but definitely keeps up the weirdness factor, and adds a creepy slasher element, which is out of place at first (until, like season one, they eventually explain it). I'm not sure if it's been renewed for a third season or not, so fair warning. Season two doesn't wrap everything up.

Mr. Robot is the hippest show of the bunch, the breakout hit. Basically a tech-thriller that toys with conspiracy, human vs. machine (but it's not sci-fi), unreliable narration, and new world order subject matter. Some people are turned off by its very sleek portrayal of hackers and hacking in general, but I think the show's other qualities make up for this.

The Expanse is hardcore sci-fi, and it's fucking awesome (probably my personal favorite on air right now). It's based on a series of novels that I haven't read, but I've heard that the show is as good if not better. Awesome development of the characters who fall in with each other, and really well-paced plot. It's exciting and, at times, moving (especially when it gets you to identify with the Belters, the industrial underclass with revolutionary aspirations).

Orphan Black's primary draw is its lead actress, Tatiana Maslany, who plays multiple roles in the show. Even as the writing deteriorates a bit in later seasons, her performances keep me coming back. It's sci-fi, but its primary concern is the sovereignty one has over one's body, particularly as this involves women. That said, it wraps that political valence up in a really enticing mystery/dramatic plot.

Now, lastly, my favorite season of television ever is definitely the first season of True Detective, which I'm sure you already know about. That season of television was absorbing, intellectually stimulating, horrifying, and challenging. It was also the first time I'd ever seen contemporary nihilist and anti-natalist philosophy incorporated significantly into a mainstream television narrative. I only mention it now because I just read this exciting news the other day:

http://www.empireonline.com/people/mahershala-ali/mahershala-ali-confirmed-true-detective-season-3/

...we're happy to learn that Mahershala Ali is confirmed as classing up True Detective Season 3.

Ali was reportedly interested earlier this month, but talking to reporters at the TCA summer tour, HBO boss Casey Bloys announced that the Oscar winner had made a deal to star in the third season of the show. And that progress was being made by writer/producer Nic Pizzolatto. "I’ve read five scripts on the new season and I think they’re terrific," Bloys said. "When we find a director, we'll be a go on that."

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
I'm starting to get worried. Dany and Tyrion seem to be fucking up this war right and left. They lost most of their fleet, the Unsullied are trapped, and the show is telegraphing that one of the dragons is gonna die, and probably soon (I thought each dragon was worth more than an army. Now a big crossbow is gonna wipe them out? Some advanced weaponry there :smug:). Maybe the return of Jorah will give team Dany some military sense.

Feels like they're just evening things out a bit because it felt so one sided... which is kinda lame tbh.

I do wonder if the war is even going to happen with the Night King's impending appearance. Cersei's kingdom will either need Jon's help or simply die.

The Expanse is hardcore sci-fi, and it's fucking awesome (probably my personal favorite on air right now). It's based on a series of novels that I haven't read, but I've heard that the show is as good if not better. Awesome development of the characters who fall in with each other, and really well-paced plot. It's exciting and, at times, moving (especially when it gets you to identify with the Belters, the industrial underclass with revolutionary aspirations).

Damn, this is apparently by the writers of the film Children of Men which I quite like, but this television series doesn't seem to be available anywhere in my local area, on the shelves. I watched a trailer and it looks really good.

I added season 1 of each of the other series you recommended to me to my online shopping basket, they're all on special right now so really happy about that.

Thanks for taking the time, Fortitude definitely looks intriguing to me, I love the whole arctic setting, The Thing being one of my all-time favourites.

Now, lastly, my favorite season of television ever is definitely the first season of True Detective, which I'm sure you already know about. That season of television was absorbing, intellectually stimulating, horrifying, and challenging. It was also the first time I'd ever seen contemporary nihilist and anti-natalist philosophy incorporated significantly into a mainstream television narrative. I only mention it now because I just read this exciting news the other day:

http://www.empireonline.com/people/mahershala-ali/mahershala-ali-confirmed-true-detective-season-3/

Oh man. Great news! Is Matthew returning do you know?

Reactions: Einherjar86
Thanks for taking the time, Fortitude definitely looks intriguing to me, I love the whole arctic setting, The Thing being one of my all-time favourites.

There's definitely an element of body horror to the show.

Oh man. Great news! Is Matthew returning do you know?

Not that I know of, but apparently he's excited to see Mahershala involved...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/08/matthew-mcconaughey-dark-tower-true-detective

“Yeah, I heard the good news. That was a great idea to cast Mahershala,” said McConaughey. “That’s good for True Detective, and it’s good for Mahershala. Nic [Pizzolatto’s] writing is gonna be something that Mahershala will be very grounded in and bring to life. I’m excited to see what happens.”

Reactions: CiG
Mr. Robot is the hippest show of the bunch, the breakout hit. Basically a tech-thriller that toys with conspiracy, human vs. machine (but it's not sci-fi), unreliable narration, and new world order subject matter. Some people are turned off by its very sleek portrayal of hackers and hacking in general, but I think the show's other qualities make up for this.

Was this the only show you had discussed here involving cybernetics, robots, androids and synthetics? I may be conflating your fiction writing with television discussion as I am want to do, since my memory is trash.