The Official Good Television Thread

I really enjoy watching the British Extras, and as mundane as it may sound, The New Adventures of Old Christine(starring Julia Louis Dreyfus of Seinfeld fame), though the show is somewhat as hit and miss affair. The guy who plays her ex-husband in the show is a quite an irritating character, with that permanent silly grin on his face, it kills the punch of most of his lines(can't recall if he actually has any good ones).

Two and a half men is also a pretty damn great sitcom.

Just finished Deadwood. 10/10.

Embarrassingly, I didn't actually realise the show was based on a real place and the characters were based on mostly real people, until the episode where the Earp brothers come to town. Derp.

I've never wanted a character to die more than fucking George Hearst. :tickled:

Will do, thanks. I haven't watched The Sopranos yet outside of the first few episodes, that's next on my mind to get though.

Now that Deadwood is done with, I can get back to finishing Death Note which I'm looking forward to.

HKaUtj4.jpg

Reactions: CiG
i recommend this conversation between three critics on the best TV drama ever. you can either read the transcript or listen to the audio:
David vs. David vs. David; or Which Is the Greatest TV Drama Ever, Simon’s The Wire, Milch’s Deadwood, or Chase’s The Sopranos?

just listened to this and it really feels like the other two guys didn't get The Wire. Especially the David who chose Deadwood. On a second viewing Sopranos left top tier television for me and just a damn good tv show worth watching. After finishing my 4th or 5th Wire re watch, I almost want to re-watch again.

i recommend this conversation between three critics on the best TV drama ever. you can either read the transcript or listen to the audio:
David vs. David vs. David; or Which Is the Greatest TV Drama Ever, Simon’s The Wire, Milch’s Deadwood, or Chase’s The Sopranos?

I downloaded the audio so I could listen to it at work but the background noise made it unbearable to listen to, compounded by the background noise of my work. So now I'm reading it.

Straight away this seems backwards to me:
I like The Wire the best of the three. They’re all amazing shows, but [The Wire] is the most consistent from beginning to end, and there’s much less fluctuation in quality than I found in the other two.

Granted I have only watched some of the first episodes of The Sopranos but I felt like The Wire was often uneven and inconsistent in quality. Deadwood by comparison was terse with little fat to trim and a fairly consistent level of quality throughout.

Anyway, reading on...

yeah i agree with you from what i remember, although most people seem to disagree on which parts of THE WIRE are strong or weak. i've only seen the first season of THE SOPRANOS too, which isn't supposed to represent the show at its strongest, so i can't comment there.

the main problem with DEADWOOD is it felt a little incomplete/rushed toward the end because it got cancelled, whereas the other two got to naturally reach their conclusion. the movie may help with that though.

Reactions: CiG
I'm in the minority with this opinion but I'd throw Boardwalk Empire in the mix too. It's more consistent than both The Wire and Sopranos and it ended brilliantly and at the perfect moment. The last season of The Wire really hurts it imo.

Deadwood is definitely disadvantaged being unfinished. I really hope the film actually comes to fruition, I've been hearing about it for years.

that's interesting. i think BOARDWALK EMPIRE is usually considered to be slow starting before becoming really good. and yeah, from what i remember i would rank THE WIRE seasons 4 > 2 > 3 > 1 > 5, but i've only watched them all once.

he wants to do two DEADWOOD movies i think, but ofc he's been struggling to get them off the ground. i'm not sure HBO have greenlit it even now.

Finally started watching VIKINGS. Binged season 1-4 and gotta say i regret it. The series that are so good i hate waiting for the next seasons to come out.

I saw the mini serie "The night of..." and can recommend it. Also watched "Black mirror" before that wich i really liked. First episode is hillarious. Each episode is a new story. Now next its been many years since i last saw "Band of brothers". Will start that later today.

The Wire was often uneven and inconsistent in quality. Deadwood by comparison was terse with little fat to trim and a fairly consistent level of quality throughout.

I don't get this complaint at all. The Wire goes from some of the greatest television ever (seasons 3 and 4 imo) to top tier television (1,2,5).

Deadwood season 1, from memory, was clearly slower and weaker than anything The Wire did.

And the reason people talk about Deadwood to this day is because of Swearinger, not much else carries that show. And the David in the convo talks about how Deadwood presents how it all started vs. The Wire's how it all is -- is just frankly incorrect and short sighted. And the fact all of their references came from season5 doesn't do the wire justice

i would rank THE WIRE seasons 4 > 2 > 3 > 1 > 5,

I never get the season 5 rush complaint or the negative portrayal of the editor/breaking bad chemist. But having 2 that high is weird, vital season but everyone outside of Sobotka is not rememberable and Ziggy is rough to sit through every time

Started watching Dark on Netflix. Weird fucking German show, kinda like Stranger Things minus the nostalgia and... well, darker, I guess. I'm only two episodes in, but I'm hooked.

I don't get this complaint at all. The Wire goes from some of the greatest television ever (seasons 3 and 4 imo) to top tier television (1,2,5).

Honestly I need to rewatch the series as it's been some time, but I just remember feeling as if certain seasons dragged or that the central plots didn't hold my attention. That could be something that has changed for me since then though.

Deadwood season 1, from memory, was clearly slower and weaker than anything The Wire did.

I don't really agree with this, season one sucked me in immediately. I fucking watched that first season so fast and naturally fast too.

And the reason people talk about Deadwood to this day is because of Swearinger, not much else carries that show.

He is a fucking fantastic character, but to say the show isn't carried by much else is totally wrong imo. The town itself is probably the best character of the whole show for a start.