The Official Good Television Thread

Does anybody think Breaking Bad comes close to the top tier of television?

Absolutely. I used to be obsessed with BB while it was still airing. I cooled on it a little after the ending which wasn't everything I hoped it would be but I'd still rank it 2nd for live-action TV after Twin Peaks. I didn't feel that it needed to be brought up in a Wire/Deadwood/Sopranos conversation because as no country said it is much more of a thriller. But it's also one of the most effective thrillers there is, in any medium.

I don't know if this way of putting it makes sense to anyone other than me but I think that show more than anything nails the mechanics of storytelling. For an example of what I mean,

look at how Todd is introduced in season 5A. Has there ever been a more effective character introduction than that? You're on the last season of a television series which always maintained a small cast and in one instant this random goon becomes a major player. I always love when stories blur the line between primary and secondary character; it is something that makes a story feel truly alive, and this is the best instance of it I can think of.

Add to that the fantastic cinematography, nuanced characters on all sides, excellent use of music, ridiculously good acting etc etc; yes, it's definitely top-tier television.

to elaborate on what i said above, the most special thing about that show to me is how it forces you to identify with its terminally ill everyman and his initially rather goofy end-of-life crisis, and then very gradually this person you're rooting for turns in one of the most terrifying onscreen bogeymen in recent history. it sets you up for traditional genre pleasures and then it slowly, masterfully complicates them to the point where i started to feel very uncomfortable and exposed in a way i'd never felt watching anything before. it has to be seen until the end (or near the end, like pompey i was disappointed with the finale) to really experience the way its relationship with the viewer develops and destabilises, which is why people who gave up on it early have no business judging it IMO.

near the end? hmm not off memory. i just remember hating Skylar and Jesse to the max. Memory is going straight down the gutter these days, though

The show probably lasted a season or two too long. Skyler and Jesse were more shit than Walt. Walt was kind of shit before the cancer, but in a different way. Fring was the true monster of the show. Overall, I would consider it 2nd tier television. I'd sure as hell rather watch BCS or Deadwood or something again. I have zero interest in watching BB again.

I never understood the hate for Skylar. Walt was a manipulative, corrosive personality whose narcissism took over after Heisenberg came out. Skylar may have been hypocritical, but she worked with what he gave her. She was the female version of Walt, although more subdued than he was.

And speaking of "female versions," I had some problems with the way Skylar was portrayed. The contemptible shrew married to the neutered husband is such a tired stereotype. I was happy when they moved away from it and let Skylar off her leash, but ultimately the show's about Walt. It's his journey and his descent into sheer egomaniacal implosion.

It really wouldn't have made sense for Skyler to be anything other than what she was: A typical middle aged white woman living a life of quiet desperation; a near-mirror of Walt, but with an extra dash of petty.

Maybe BCS is better because there isn't much in the way of "typical people" in it, although plenty of stereotypes.