The Official Good Television Thread

@Einherjar86
has there been any contradictions though??
has there been any reason to think that they were taking place in separate universes??

No, but by that logic there's also no reason to think that TD isn't set in the same universe as, for example, Se7en (I don't think there are any actors who would ruin the continuity in that movie). So just because there aren't any contradictions, that doesn't mean we can assume they're all set in the same world.

No, but by that logic there's also no reason to think that TD isn't set in the same universe as, for example, Se7en (I don't think there are any actors who would ruin the continuity in that movie). So just because there aren't any contradictions, that doesn't mean we can assume they're all set in the same world.
ehhh
it's a series
i really just thought it was just one-universe with time-jumps
so this whole thing about whether-or-not season 1 and 3 are in the same universe really just came-out-of-left-field for me
for me, it was just they were in the same universe until something contradicted that idea

You claimed that (smart) female viewers watch little big lies, a show centered around desperate housewife drama with the most obvious conclusion in recent memory, with a side storyline so much better executed by Jägten. If one cared about Kidman's story, might as well watch Elle or the Piano Teacher.

I have no idea how you thought this show would help your argument.

Do men watching inordinate amounts of sports on television count as watching garbage?

If you want it to, sure, but at least men watch good shows.

Not sure why rms thinks he's the arbiter of quality television, when he pissed his pants that time Vegard said that The Walking Dead is a show about how society arises out of the rubble of fallen society. That's the literal point of the show and you thought that was what, too analytic?

If you can't even handle someone reading that basic subtext into the show, how could you ever fairly judge the subtext of shows women watch and what they get out of them? It's a show about desperate wives hur dur. Okay Einstein.

You claimed that (smart) female viewers watch little big lies, a show centered around desperate housewife drama with the most obvious conclusion in recent memory, with a side storyline so much better executed by Jägten. If one cared about Kidman's story, might as well watch Elle or the Piano Teacher.

I have no idea how you thought this show would help your argument.

Um, because it's a good show. But your problem is that you think you're...

the arbiter of quality television

Your entire argument is premised on the assumption that you know "good" television from "bad" television. But you're actually one of the last people qualified to make any kind of aesthetic judgment beyond what you find imminently satisfying.

Not sure why rms thinks he's the arbiter of quality television, when he pissed his pants that time Vegard said that The Walking Dead is a show about how society arises out of the rubble of fallen society. That's the literal point of the show and you thought that was what, too analytic?

If you can't even handle someone reading that basic subtext into the show, how could you ever fairly judge the subtext of shows women watch and what they get out of them? It's a show about desperate wives hur dur. Okay Einstein.

I remember saying that suggesting anything deep out of walking dead is a horrible show and to suggest anything other than zombie gore tv was overstepping anything intended , but welcome to refresh my memory

Um, because it's a good show. But your problem is that you think you're...

Hilarious that's considered a good show. Treats the viewer like an idiot, no redeeming themes. Lackluster storyline. Lame and expected twist

But you both support garbage frequently so I'm not surprised.

I remember saying that suggesting anything deep out of walking dead is a horrible show and to suggest anything other than zombie gore tv was overstepping anything intended , but welcome to refresh my memory

Yes that's the idiocy I remember. The show's point is obviously and quite blatantly about how a society arises from the ashes of a prior society. This is why the show puts so much emphasis on opposing camps, hierarchies based on competence and dominance, and so on. It's not a Troma splatter flick, its narrative is in the zombie tradition of Romero and if you think Romero's films were just about zombies you're a dunce.

I mean, after the zombies are established as a threat, they fade into the background and become fodder for the action, the real threats in the show are other people.

Hilarious that's considered a good show. Treats the viewer like an idiot, no redeeming themes. Lackluster storyline. Lame and expected twist

But you both support garbage frequently so I'm not surprised.

tenor.gif

its narrative is in the zombie tradition of Romero and if you think Romero's films were just about zombies you're a dunce.

if you think the point of Romero's films would be better executed over 200 episodes rather than a 2 hour film, that's on you -- but I think the majority disagree. People don't watch WD because they get an extended look at Dawn of the Dead, rather they get gore and human interaction mixed with "oh my we should let this nice stranger in" vs. "never let strangers in!!!!
mean, after the zombies are established as a threat, they fade into the background and become fodder for the action, the real threats in the show are other people.

I watched like 8 seasons and this was never the case. I know that baseball bat dude may have changed things but zombies always played a central role in all major events AND whenever the writers needed something to change, zombie time!!!!

Your entire argument is premised on the assumption that you know "good" television from "bad" television. But you're actually one of the last people qualified to make any kind of aesthetic judgment beyond what you find imminently satisfying.

I was wondering where this came from, but I never said it was a garbage show. it's like a 6/10--if its on, ok leave it on. but not worthy of recommendation. I'm actually surprised you threw this shows name into the arena with TD -- it's just lowball. Was there anything less effective than the back and forth storytelling? All it did was treat you, the viewer, as one who couldn't grasp the very obvious dynamics of their little tribe. Shot of Reese talking about drinking vodka, next shot "Omg Reese has a drinking problem, like totallllllyyyyyyyyyy oh mah god"

Glad this mediocrity got Calamity Jane a good and hopefully well paid role. I should watch Deadwood again.

This show doesn't do mystery well, does nothing new with the Rich Housewives of X county drama, so what's the point? Rape-vengeance? Is this all people require to thrust this show into the spectrum of good television?

yo @rms get that lube out, because our neighborhood feminazi and aussi yobo are straight going to town on you man
:lol: i guess? at least CIG stopped talking about forcing himself to watch the new twin peaks season again just to see if he could fit in with the hipsters of the world

if you think the point of Romero's films would be better executed over 200 episodes rather than a 2 hour film, that's on you -- but I think the majority disagree.

I never said that. I tried to rewatch The Walking Dead I didn't even make it beyond the 2nd episode before I gave up. Not a fan.

People don't watch WD because they get an extended look at Dawn of the Dead, rather they get gore and human interaction mixed with "oh my we should let this nice stranger in" vs. "never let strangers in!!!!

This doesn't change what the subtext is. What kind of idiotic response is this? You can switch off when you watch The Walking Dead and just see soapie plots and gore, or you can actually analyze the way the show represents how hierarchies form and societies form around power structures enforced by strong individuals.

I watched like 8 seasons and this was never the case. I know that baseball bat dude may have changed things but zombies always played a central role in all major events AND whenever the writers needed something to change, zombie time!!!!

The zombies just represent the hostility of nature in the absence of a safe society.

I never said that. I tried to rewatch The Walking Dead I didn't even make it beyond the 2nd episode before I gave up. Not a fan.
so how the fuck is your phony ass going to tell me what the show is about and intends to execute?

analyze the way the show represents how hierarchies form and societies form around power structures enforced by strong individuals.

The zombies just represent the hostility of nature in the absence of a safe society.

jesus christ

**dude with gun tells everyone what to do
"look at how early societies form!"

I was wondering where this came from, but I never said it was a garbage show.

You implied that women support and promote garbage television, but Big Little Lies was watched primarily by women. By the logic of your original comment, BLL is a garbage show.

You really need to keep up with the fucking argument.

Last edited: