The Official Good Television Thread

First season of The Terror is solid, can't go wrong with that. Never saw the second season, didn't hear great things.

I haven't started a new TV series in ages, except for WandaVision which was okay. I used to check out everything that got the slightest bit of acclaim in the right circles but I just don't have that kind of time anymore. Still making time to rewatch The Sopranos for the billionth time though...

So I doubt I have anything to recommend that I haven't already in the past. Quick list of my faves, the majority of which you've probably seen in part or entirely:

Live-Action TV: Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, Twin Peaks, Person of Interest, True Detective (s01-s02), The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, The Americans, The Expanse
Anime: Legend of Galactic Heroes, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Shinsekai Yori, Kaiji, Yu Yu Hakusho

Last edited:
if you’re in the mood for an unconventional x-men/superhero thing with a lot of gutter humour then yeah it rules for the first 3 seasons or so, i’m thinking of rewatching it myself at some point.

Reactions: CiG
I'll keep going until I reach season 2 just because it seems like everybody says that's when it gets good.

basically you get less of the goofy episodic stuff and it becomes a darker saga with a variety of great characters with their own knotted histories and agendas. i totally get how some of the tongue in cheek southern fried crime stuff and weak cop banter would be offputting at first lol. s2 is actually the peak for me although i know some here prefer s4.

Best thing I've watched lately is Beforeigners. Set in modern day Oslo where regular time glitches occur and there are mass 'migrations' of people from the Viking age and the 1800s. The world-building is great, and it riffs on typical refugee issues like integration, social welfare and ghettoisation. It follows two cops investigating the murder of a Viking girl. One of the cops is Norway's first Viking cop so she has to deal with accusations of tokenism and affirmative action. It's very funny too - eg the Vikings' most badass warrior becoming an Uber Eats bicycle delivery man.

Best thing I've watched lately is Beforeigners. Set in modern day Oslo where regular time glitches occur and there are mass 'migrations' of people from the Viking age and the 1800s. The world-building is great, and it riffs on typical refugee issues like integration, social welfare and ghettoisation. It follows two cops investigating the murder of a Viking girl. One of the cops is Norway's first Viking cop so she has to deal with accusations of tokenism and affirmative action. It's very funny too - eg the Vikings' most badass warrior becoming an Uber Eats bicycle delivery man.

Fucking awesome.

Nice, just bookmarked it. I'll probably watch an episode tonight. The picture already stands out, bunch of modern looking people and then there's just this big bearded viking dude walking in the background. :lol:

if you’re in the mood for an unconventional x-men/superhero thing with a lot of gutter humour then yeah it rules for the first 3 seasons or so, i’m thinking of rewatching it myself at some point.

saw this was on netflix so i took my own advice and binged the first season, still love it. it has such great tonal control despite flipping between a vulgar un-PC comedy, a tense thriller, a melancholy sci-fi etc on a dime. quality character-driven writing, and the temporal mechanics give it serious weight in places, always feels like something unpleasant is on the horizon even in the most innocuous scenes which gives it real urgency somehow. feels like they fit a ton into every episode too, there's stuff in the first couple of eps that i thought was literally seasons into the thing, it's very focused and economical.

I watched the first episode of The Terror and thought it was pretty interesting. I ended up checking out that Ricky Gervais series After Life on Netflix afterwards and binged like 6 straight episodes lmao. Misfits is on Stan so I'll definitely check that out next, have the whole day free so I'm planning to veg out.

Edit: First episode of Misfits was pretty good. At first I was like "this is a bit naff" but it had me by the end.

Last edited: