The Official Good Television Thread

Yeah 2nd AHS was kinda lame, at least in comparison to the other two. I think it was partly the actor mix. That girl who played Violet in the first season and plays some witch bitch in the third, aside from Jessica Lange, really makes the show for me. Creepy little badass.

AHS2, I can see not liking it as much as other seasons, but "lame" and "despised"...im stunned at this? I thought (2) was amazing! Great setting and dynamic characters. Also dark, nasty and creepy...when this show is at its best imo. Either way, thats the beauty of this show, different settings appeal in differ ways etc. Im not as pumped about Coven but its still pretty good.

Is it that good?
I need to check it out

The first season was definitely good. I watched the S02E02 yesterday and it kinda pissed me off because it tried so hard to be humorous and just kept all the drama away. It felt like some American sitcom. I really don't want the series to go this way.

Finally started on Dexter, about halfway through season 3. God is his sister unbearable. Gotta say so far the latinos have been my favorite characters, Batista and Miguel are the shit.

Finally started on Dexter, about halfway through season 3. God is his sister unbearable. Gotta say so far the latinos have been my favorite characters, Batista and Miguel are the shit.

You really can't stand Deb? She was the only character I didn't hate by the end of the series. I think someone told me to stop watching after Season 5 and I wish I had listened to them.

She's so fuckin shy and quiet if any sort of authority is involved! When she stood up and talked to LaGuerta about ice truck killer theories it seriously hurt my ears.

True Detective is turning into one hell of a show. Nice pick up for Breaking Bad fans imo. Also reminds me a bit of No Country for Old Men and Winters Bone. Complex character development with a haunting atmosphere. Existential as all hell.

Rustin "Rust" Cohle knows what's up.

k0kdw3.jpg

Wow!!! First part of "Klondike" was bigtime epic. Great landscape visuals and on the edge of my seat from start. Ridley Scott is brilliant.

True Detective is turning into one hell of a show. Nice pick up for Breaking Bad fans imo. Also reminds me a bit of No Country for Old Men and Winters Bone. Complex character development with a haunting atmosphere. Existential as all hell.

k0kdw3.jpg

This looks good. Cheers for the heads up.

Dexter is really starting to suck. But I have commitment issues. I'm addicted to commitment and have to watch every episode anyways.

k0kdw3.jpg

This show fucking rocks so far. Really dark and well-acted.

Yeah it's really well done.

Ein, I actually find myself wondering what you think about Rust and his perspective?

It's funny, because whenever Rust gets going, my wife always looks over at me and rolls her eyes because she knows I'm digging it.

I don't agree with Rust on every point, but I absolutely know where he's drawing a lot of his theories from; that consciousness is an evolutionary accident, that we aren't selves but only the illusion of selves, etc. is all contemporary neuroscience combined with philosophy of mind and strands of French poststructuralism.

I do agree with Rust's assertion that "meaning is historical." When he said that line, my wife looked at me and said "This show is pandering to you!" It was pretty funny.

All things considered, I think that Rust is an extreme case of someone who is unable to extricate himself from the implications of his personal philosophy. I do agree with him often, but his character abandons reason when he opts for the cynical betrayal of all humanity. We may certainly be creatures that harbor only the illusion of selfhood; but why do we then interact as selves, and what is to be gained from pushing beyond the ideology of the self/subject? Rust would have us all walk into the ocean and drown ourselves. I think there's a more symbiotic solution.

It's funny, because whenever Rust gets going, my wife always looks over at me and rolls her eyes because she knows I'm digging it.

haha that's great. I was watching it with my brother and he goes "don't even be a phony and act like you would word any of your dumb thoughts that well" heh fucker.

I don't agree with Rust on every point, but I absolutely know where he's drawing a lot of his theories from; that consciousness is an evolutionary accident, that we aren't selves but only the illusion of selves, etc. is all contemporary neuroscience combined with philosophy of mind and strands of French poststructuralism.

Yeah, as I'm watching the show I find myself going over Existentialism and its themes all over again. Rust has a deep understanding of Absurdism as Hart does with Anxiety. The inherent meaninglessness is sometimes exaggerated when Rust and Hart act and contradict themselves, it seems like nothing makes any sense - like they don't understand one another, but the environment lends itself to each of the characters despair where they completely relate. I actually find it to be comedic, but also really dark as it reflects the lack of justice and/or meaning and paints the picture of the universe as amoral.

I do agree with Rust's assertion that "meaning is historical." When he said that line, my wife looked at me and said "This show is pandering to you!" It was pretty funny.

Yup, I laughed and thought about you and Dak debating for pages.

All things considered, I think that Rust is an extreme case of someone who is unable to extricate himself from the implications of his personal philosophy. I do agree with him often, but his character abandons reason when he opts for the cynical betrayal of all humanity. We may certainly be creatures that harbor only the illusion of selfhood; but why do we then interact as selves, and what is to be gained from pushing beyond the ideology of the self/subject? Rust would have us all walk into the ocean and drown ourselves. I think there's a more symbiotic solution.

It's very Schopenhauerian.
With the amount of human caused suffering on this planet It's hard for me to disagee with him.

I started watching True Detective. S01E01 a while ago. So far it's good but I wish it was more chronological. I'm not too much into jumping in time there and back as they do it in series nowadays. But I'm sure I'll get to it, it definitely shows potential and I enjoy investigations.

Posted by Nekroskop
i'm glad someone else likes SOA, definitely my favorite show. Every single action is important, all the plot twists are still connected to the history and not some random plots. That's why i like it, everything matters and it's all knitted nicely.

As much as i love SOA, season 7 should be the last, i don't want it to be a novelty and lost the touch. I'm waiting for a Tarantino-esque last season.

Yep, agreed. To re-touch, season 7 will be the last season. A break for other (Sutter) projects, then plans for a SOA prequel bout the birth of the club to take place around the Vietnam era. Of course all subject to change, but hopefully not cause im liking the idea.