Way better than Kolossus

Top albums right now for me

Borknagar - Universal
Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarrior
Fear Factory - Mechanize
As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise
Burzum - Belus
Exodus - Exhibition B

Some others, but I also heard a lot of boring stuff to my ears.

Favorite album so far of 2010 has been Wuthering Heights, Salt. Some of the choruses are a bit too cheery and the 'throw a bit from every melodic metal sub-genre into every song' approach might put people off. Plus it might be a bit cheesy, I don't know anymore, my Cheesometer's buggered from years of listening to power metal. Great lyrics too, which is rare for power metal. Their attempt at a Ryme of the Ancient Mariner style seafaring epic final track was pretty well done, although nowhere as good as that song of course.

Speaking of Maiden, is anyone actually excited for the new album this year? I'd be more pleased about it if they avoided trying to make their songs sound more epic by repeating the same damn vocal line over and over again instead of writing an actual chorus. But I'm still hopeful.

Also, it seems Helloween are keen to make up for the Unarmed shemozzle by putting out a 'speedier, heavier' album this year. Yay! (Thanks to PlasmaShock for pointing this out in the Oldschool thread, it made my day).

So it's been a pretty good year for metal so far, I reckon. Some of my favorites:

Heathen - The Evolution of Chaos
Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Sigh - Scenes from Hell
Pensees Nocturnes - Grotesque
Ikuinen Kaamos - Fall of Icons

... Although I am expecting Ne Obliviscaris to come along and blow everything out of the water later this year.

Speaking of Maiden, is anyone actually excited for the new album this year? I'd be more pleased about it if they avoided trying to make their songs sound more epic by repeating the same damn vocal line over and over again instead of writing an actual chorus. But I'm still hopeful.

I'm not. Especially if they release something like "A Matter of Life and Death". Love the band, but it sucks balls.

Heathen - The Evolution of Chaos
Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
Sigh - Scenes from Hell
Pensees Nocturnes - Grotesque
Ikuinen Kaamos - Fall of Icons

... Although I am expecting Ne Obliviscaris to come along and blow everything out of the water later this year.

I really have to thank you for listing these bands, honestly i've never heard of any of them besides sigh but i checked em all out and pensees nocturnes is fucking AWESOME, i don't even know what to call them but it's crazy cool

Yeah I wouldn't really have a clue what to call it either. 'Completely bonkers' is probably the best description I can think of. His (I still can't believe it's a one man band) other album, Vacuum, is pretty good too. It's not quite as bizarre and demented as Grotesque though.

I'm not. Especially if they release something like "A Matter of Life and Death". Love the band, but it sucks balls.

Yeah it seems like the energy and excitement that was bursting out of their 80's material, (which was part of what made them so good), has been missing from the later albums. I thought Face in the Sand was pretty awesome though. I remember reading somewhere ages ago that they don't play it live because all the double kicking was too tiring for Nicko, which I thought was weird.

Also, first listen of The Ocean - Heliocentric. Sounds ok so far, it's got a bit of a Tool vibe to it in places, might be a grower. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the slower, piano driven songs such as Ptolemy was Wrong yet. It did make me Google who Ptolemy was though, so hooray for metal associated learning. Damn impressive webpage design and artwork too. My first thought when it opened was 'Holy shit that's cool.' It's nice when bands go to that bit of extra effort with the artwork:

http://www.theoceancollective.com/heliocentric/