The Official Movie Thread

Tonight

36460_2_large.jpg

Reactions: CiG
I watched Schindler's List yesterday for the very first time. Night-time watching was even more hardcore. It's interesting I watched it so late into my life. If you haven't seen it, you should. Eye-opening shit. Hail Steven Spielberg. One of the best movies of all time, even if slightly overcoloured. A true testament to the worst of atrocities to ever be witnessed on this planet.

texas.jpg

Saw the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre last night. They basically copied David Gordon Green's Halloween by having it act as a direct sequel to the original TCM with Sally Hardesty (the sole survivor from the original) returning for vengeance, as she'd been hunting Leatherface for 50 odd years. Leatherface has been dormant, like Myers, until something happens and he goes on a rampage again.

The movie was really well shot and the splatter was some 10/10 shit. Gorehounds will love it for that aspect and lovers of aesthetics will appreciate the use of silhouettes, lighting, shapes, colours etc.

274319440_998209254128254_541855419011090447_n.jpg

274257461_998209824128197_7854442004774435505_n.jpg

274579064_998209267461586_689045594040262956_n.jpg

273614588_998209344128245_8574754449478884605_n.jpg

273700819_998209280794918_3009669474642260446_n.jpg

272971741_998209324128247_1372155587631105465_n.jpg

But the script was total and complete dogshit, like a FOX News caricature of young woke liberalism. Completely lacks any of the subtextual depth of the first film, any of the satirical black comedy of the first sequel. The screenwriter (who hasn't done anything else, surprise surprise) is clearly several levels below the cinematographer and so it makes for a very weird frustrating experience.

At one point before Leatherface kills some hipsters, one of them threatens to "cancel" him while his phone is out and filming. I almost switched it off there, but the pattern of this film is to hit you with utterly garbage writing and then immediately hit you with insanely well-crafted splatter.

If the script and dialogue were as good as David Gordon Green's Halloween (I know, a low bar) this would be a pretty legitimately great, visually impressive modern horror. Instead it's more like a mediocre anti-woke teen drama mashed with an insanely graphic splatterfest. Also Leatherface's mask was meh.

I didn’t even think the kills were very good. Just watched it with my wife. Left me wondering if I missed scenes or something then realized it was only 74 minutes long.

no story at all, the worst most confusing decisions you’ve ever seen even in a horror film… shitty cgi kills. A woman that was picked up by a running chainsaw thru her chest ten feet in the air thrown still manages to shoot, reload the gun, and give a small speech before dying.

it just made no sense, had no real tie to the original at all (it picks up after the original but it’s set in the present and Leatherface, no actual leather, just dead mom face, barely looks 40 while the young woman from the original looks like the Indian spirit guide that gets killed trying to help the protagonist, guess she did that part anyway)

truly one of the worst unentertaining insulting sequels I’ve ever seen.

i'm sure this is shite but i will say you've selected some pretty well constructed images there, makes me think there's hope for the director and/or cinematographer

spencer_teaserposter.jpg

Pablo Larraín's Spencer is steeped in symbolism of one woman's prison within the sprawling estate and labyrinth of the building's interiors or within the family. Kristen Stewart is phenomenal as Princess Diana. She trained for six months to get the English accent just right and it shines throughout. Sean Harris is perfectly balanced as the Head Chef who is caught between being utmost professional and being compassionate and guiding to a lost soul. Timothy Spall gives an accomplished performance in the fictional role of Equerry Major Alistair Gregory who has been tasked to oversee the festivities and maintain order with Diana. In reality, I would say he is an enforcer of the royal will.

Spencer-Cast-Timothy-Spall-Major-Alistair-Gregory.jpg

Spencer-Cast-Sean-Harris-Darren.jpg

Cinematographer Claire Mathon (known for shooting Portrait of a Lady on Fire) shoots painting like shots of the grounds of the estate and creates an almost dream-like feel to the film. One particular clever and importantly symbolic element of the film is the contrast that Larraín presents between Diana and Anne Boleyn (the beheaded wife of King Henry VIII). How they are both passionate and willful women who could not be tamed and how ultimately they will pay (in Boleyn's case with her life).

The other royal members are included but not much and I think that this works because it gives more time and energy to Diana and how she evolves over this Christmas period. We do get some tender moments between her and Prince's William and Harry. One segment has them playing a game under candlelight which was shot almost entirely adlibbed which you can quite clearly tell but again it works and creates a sweet and loving moment between a mum and her children. A sense of normality.

Kristen-Stewart-Princess-Diana-spencer-02.jpg

2022-Oscar-Predictions-Spencer.jpeg

One of the last shots of the film are of Diana taking her children and running from a pheasant shoot with other royal family members. A symbol of her escaping them.

Spencer is a film that provokes thought, sadness and anger in places.

8.5/10

Last edited: