The Official Movie Thread

Ti West's portion was cool. His was the one about the couple on a roadtrip. The rest were whatever, and the one about The Glitch Man was aids. No idea why this anthology is so beloved.
The sequel has a segment by Gareth Evans of The Raid and Gangs of London fame. That one is pretty cool.

xxx.gif
Last night I watched From Paris with Love. Travolta was so unhinged. :lol:

Edit: Watched this tonight...

vhs2.jpg
V/H/S/2 was a lot better than the first one. My ranking for each segment:

1. A Ride in the Park by Eduardo Sánchez & Gregg Hale
2. Slumber Party Alien Abduction by Jason Eisener
3. Safe Haven by Timo Tjahjanto & Gareth Evans
4. Phase I Clinical Trials by Adam Wingard

Those Blair Witch Project guys are so creative. Their segment about a guy with a GoPro helmet who goes for a bike ride and gets bitten by a zombie was such a fucking cool idea. Experiencing a zombie going on a POV rampage ruled.

That Adam Wingard segment sucked ass. Only slightly better than the Glitch Man one from the first V/H/S because it featured some big tits.

Last edited:
Reactions: AbelTim
dsfdsd.jpg

Even though I thought this was better than the first (particularly much better antagonists), it suffers from the same problem of being overly long and terribly paced.

Just like the insufferable nation of Wakanda in the films (we get it, they're more advanced and enlightened than everybody else), the films reek of self-importance. There's absolutely no reason this needed to be 2 and a half hours long.

I recently purchased Arrow Video's Ju On boxset. I have only ever seen the American remake, and I am a fan of J-Horror's so it made sense for me to fork out for this one. The first film which was straight-to-video was surprisingly very good. Ju On: The Curse is clearly low budget but Takashi Shimizu racks up the tension and threat expertly and as the story unfolds in a series of connected stories, the eeriness really gets to you.
Ek7XtXAXEAEkgur.jpg

The second film installment Ju On: The Curse 2 is also equally scary and eerie but not quite as effective as the first one. I watched his 2002 theatrical release soon after and it was certainly more effective that The Curse 2 but it still didn't have the same level of eeriness as the first one. There was clearly a bigger budget but I do think for me the low-fi element of the first two made the whole concept stick with me more.

watched Skinamarink today. Kinda melted my eyeballs. Story was a little muddled but really fuckin effective on the nightmare/hallucinations effects. Even managed to make the hair on my arms and neck stand up a few times.

8.5/10 with caveats.

its slow but good if you dont mind slow burn. watch it in the dark, alone or at the theater preferably without teenagers. It's gonna fuck your eyes up for a while afterward. Reminded me a bit of being on hallucinogens and your eyes constantly trying to focus in the dark.

That fucking little kid toy phone.

Reactions: CiG
FB_IMG_1675511742800.jpg

Man the whole Harry amnesia thing and the Symbiote stuff drags this movie down so unnecessarily. Also MJ is like the shittiest love interest ever lol. It's forgiveable in the previous films but by this point it's like... she's such an unironically dogshit person and it's hard to relate.

The movie should've focused more on Marko's whole thing, with Harry's revenge as the side plot.

NP
MV5BYWIzZDIxOTUtOGFjOC00MDEyLWJhN2UtZDAzMDFiNTQ5MDkwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDA4NzMyOA@@._V1_.jpg

beast_xlg.jpg

This was surprisingly entertaining. Went in with ultra low expectations but it turned out to be a pretty good natural horror/survival thriller. Made me think of Crawl from back in 2019. If you liked that, you'd probably like this. Also Sharlto Copely always rules.

Beautiful locations. Lion attack wounds trigger me though.

1.jpg

It's rare that I praise a film FOR its CGI, but Steven Gomez is one of the few that makes it still feel like its own unique craft, rather than the lazy band-aid it's become.

The other night I watched his 2016 debut film Kill Command. What this guy was able to achieve with £1 million is fucking insane. It also has an interesting horror-lean to it even though it's an action/sci-fi.

332714462_718210783286290_2846754390712734592_n.jpg
332781698_3282234612028656_8391357975156204804_n.jpg

More recently (2021) he worked on the visual effects for Outside the Wire, which was a really awesome Anthony Mackie action/sci-fi.

If you enjoy Neill Blomkamp's sci-fi stuff, or Mark Toia's 2020 film Monsters of Man, check these other projects out. They're all part of a small but awesome collection of positive CGI utilization.

What are people's views on the Irish actor Paul Mescal? I have seen him in God's Creatures, Aftersun and snippets of the BBC drama Normal People. I suspect for me, he is going to be like Timothée Chalamet, where I think he is a fairly mediocre actor and then he will do a film (like Bones & All) and I will massively change my opinion on him. Like with Chalamet, I want to like Mescal but so far he is too quiet, subdued and overly melodramatic.

Paul_Mescal_44.MVFF.jpg

Watched Shotgun Wedding with Josh Duhamel, Jennifer Lopez and Lenny Kravitz last night. Wasn't the greatest movie but it was mindless entertainment for about 90mins and I managed to actually stay awake for the whole thing.