The Official Movie Thread

Terrifier 3 gets a bigger budget for a 2024 release.

Priscilla Smith of The Coven said of the next instalment: “There will be a much bigger budget this time around, which is intended to give the filmmakers more creative freedom, and let them be as wild as they can be. And, all jokes aside, we are going for that Oscar this year.”

Watched John Wick 4 last night, glad that franchise is over.

• Wow
Reactions: CiG
Watched John Wick 4 last night, glad that franchise is over.

Apparently not. Lazy fuckers with no original ideas left have announced they are working on Chapter 5 as well as a prequel and a spin off.

• Haha
the-lawnmower-man-movie-poster-1992-1020252315.jpg

Am I insane? I thought this was an instant all-timer, but most reviews are either shitting on it or praising it "ironically".

Apparently not. Lazy fuckers with no original ideas left have announced they are working on Chapter 5 as well as a prequel and a spin off.
Imagine saying this as they're quite literally reinventing themselves with each new installment.
Don't get why you'd even watch it if you feel this way, if you can't appreciate stuntwork, action choreography, martial arts etc.

giphy.gif

Reinventing what?
I watched it because it was the final and I wanted to see it closed off. After the boring shit pile that was 3, anything that followed needed to kill it off. Anything from now will be worse than 3.

think i said this before but i thought the 1st was best for emotional investment, 2nd was best for visuals, 3rd was best for action, haven’t seen 4 yet but i’m hoping it combines all three peaks!

I agree with that, but I personally wouldn't say JW4 combines all 3. Mostly just ramps up the visuals and action, the emotional investment isn't really there anymore, although you might feel differently.

What JW4 does do is go out of its way to exhaust you with nonstop action. It's almost a negative thing because you become desensitised to the craziness. Like you could spend an hour breaking down the stuntwork and choreography of a single scene in JW4, but there are 50 billion other scenes doing just as much.

That's why I say each film reinvents itself. I kinda hope JW5 is more selective with its action and this time hits harder on JW1's emotional investment or JW2's stylishness, kinda like Kill Bill or something.

JW5 Plot. Deadman comes back and shoots people in impossible ways while dancing like a fairy and saying very little.
JW6 Plot, because enough is never enough. John's dog comes back from the dead and starts an interpretative dance class which he hires a recently retired for the 5th time John to choreograph
JW7 Plot. John reinvents shit, but it's all basically the same as it was back at the start.
JW8 cross over with FF franchise because it's all about family.
The series writes itself.

Dunno why you're complaining so much when all the new music you like is old cunts doing the same shit over and over.
John Wick should be your favourite franchise if you really believe all the shit you're saying about it.

It is my favourite franchise, I rate it even higher than I rate all those shitty Star Wars movies.

I thought JW4 kinda did everything. Of the three big action setpieces, the first and third had as much emotional context as anything in JW1 (e.g. the theme of inconvenient friendship, and John's increasing exhaustion in dealing with the unending consequences of his past life) while the second one had Scott Adkins chewing the scenery in a fatsuit. It's broad-strokes and not exactly nuanced, but I think it's at exactly the level it needs to be and there were a lot of small moments between the action that have stayed with me.

"Friendship means nothing when it's convenient", John summarizing himself as "loving husband", Caine's apparent sadness when he thinks he's killed John, and the entire duel of course.

On a more plotty level, I love that the movie opens with killing off the shittiest subplot in the franchise (the fucking Elder) and then spends half an hour delving into batshit assassin world politics with John barely figuring into the story for a good while. I mean I unironically love that, Wick's a great character but I loved the focus shifting to the supporting cast and the broader world of the franchise for a bit. Clearly ditching the original screenwriter was the right call.

JW8 cross over with FF franchise because it's all about family.

I was all "fuck yeah!" until I remembered what FF stands for to people who aren't gaming nerds. Oh well, at least we got to see the motorcycle scene adapted in JW3.

Good points. I kinda forgot the more sentimental plot elements. Still traumatised by my dogshit theatre experience.

Trailer for Kitano's new movie looks crazy.
Reminds me of Miike's super violent jidaigeki stuff.

Last edited:
Somewhat weird, but the type of weird I like, and also funny:

I think the only other movie by Wes Anderson I've seen so far was "Moonrise Kingdom", which I liked very much - I'd say even more than "Asteroid City". Question at those who are familiar with his other movies: Are they recommendable?

Already a month ago I watched "Beau Is Afraid" (a very fitting title):

A very long and very weird movie, and even though there were also some funny moments, it seemed more like a chain of nightmares. I still wonder if the entire movie was meant to be just one long nightmare and everything just happened in the mind of the main character. Also the ending left my somewhat puzzled, but maybe that's the way it was meant to be. Still not sure what to make of this movie.

Somewhat weird, but the type of weird I like, and also funny:

I think the only other movie by Wes Anderson I've seen so far was "Moonrise Kingdom", which I liked very much - I'd say even more than "Asteroid City". Question at those who are familiar with his other movies: Are they recommendable?

his style has got more and more... well, stylised over the years, but it has never fundamentally changed. if you enjoy one i expect you could enjoy any of them. his most widely beloved films are rushmore, the royal tenenbaums, fantastic mr fox and the grand budapest hotel for what it's worth.

his style has got more and more... well, stylised over the years, but it has never fundamentally changed. if you enjoy one i expect you could enjoy any of them. his most widely beloved films are rushmore, the royal tenenbaums, fantastic mr fox and the grand budapest hotel for what it's worth.
Thanks for your reply. Reading through the titles you mentioned, I noticed that I have actually seen two of them - "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "The Grand Budapest Hotel". The reason why I didn't associate them with Wes Anderson might be that I usually don't pay attention who directed a movie, because my decision to watch a movie is only based on the description of its content and/or trailers. Woody Allen might be the only exception to this rule, though after watching a movie of him I didn't like, I also first check what it's about.

by wes fans at least, obviously a lot of people straight up hate wes completely lol

it wouldn’t make my personal anderson top 5 which looks something like:
1. tenenbaums
2. hotel
3. darjeeling
4. moonrise
5. life aquatic

(haven’t seen the last two yet)