The Official Movie Thread

Alien 3 is seriously underrated, too bad it got dragged critically. I still haven't seen Romulus but I'm preparing for the worst. Kept up this long, and I'm a diehard Alien fan, so I can't stop now.

Reactions: CiG
Alien 3 is seriously underrated, too bad it got dragged critically. I still haven't seen Romulus but I'm preparing for the worst. Kept up this long, and I'm a diehard Alien fan, so I can't stop now.
At least you're entering with the right frame of mind 😂 pissed I thought it was some kind of cool horror take on the franchise.

The director keeps saying the Alien: Isolation game, which is a survival horror, was a huge inspiration for Romulus, so I think he intended it to be that lmao.
Yeah lol. I didn't see the evil dead remake this dude did, but this Alien movie comes off like the most over handedly influenced/produced Hollywood bullshit that just needed some guy to officially take the director position. I need someone in my life to talk shit about this movie with lol

Yeah lol. I didn't see the evil dead remake this dude did, but this Alien movie comes off like the most over handedly influenced/produced Hollywood bullshit that just needed some guy to officially take the director position. I need someone in my life to talk shit about this movie with lol
I still haven't seen it, because Alien is too cursed a franchise for me to pay ticket prices, but I have this feeling I'll hate it. I always heard his Evil Dead remake was good but each time I tried watching it I turned it off in the first 15 minutes lol.

Reactions: rms
Alien: Romulus was... a mixed bag.

I loved the first 40-ish minutes or so. It was so fucking immersive and textured. Pulled in immediately when they were still in the mining colony and making plans and you could hear all this industrial machinery going on in the background. It felt so damn grimey and sordid and dark and hopeless long before we got to the alien shit. Then we get to the space station and it plays up the industrial horror of humans exploring an abandoned, automated sci-fi facility completely indifferent to their existence. It gets so much mileage out of the hostile environment long before the xenomorphs enter the picture. Then we get the inevitable facehugger introduction and it falls apart into a jumbled mess of jumpscares and loud noises. All the subtlety and atmosphere of the first act just gone.

It recovered somewhat with the elevator shaft setpiece and if that had been the climax I'd have been happy. Unfortunately it kept going and let me tell you, a lot of people in my theater could not contain their laughter when they introduced the

human xenomorph

and I can't exactly blame them. Somehow I don't think that's the reaction you want out of the climax of your Alien film.

Lastly, the cast was fucking awful outside of the main girl and the two androids.

So all in all... it was about 50% "genuinely great" and 50% "laughably bad", with very little in-between.

Last edited:
gah
this is making me think of how the very first Jurassic park movie was so fucking awesome and then all the sequels totally sucked
the awesome first Jurassic Park movie turned 30 last year btw

trap_xlg.jpg
Actually surprised by how much I liked Shyamalan's Trap. Probably my favourite of his right after Glass. The way it's filmed, edited, the angles, just the general nuts and bolts of how it was made really stand out for me. Bit of a career-defining performance from Josh Hartnett too. Can't remember the last time I saw someone do the wholesome guy vs unhinged sociopath balancing act since Dexter. The father and daughter relationship was handled with an almost weird amount of sweetness, which makes me assume Trap is meta to some degree, considering M. Night himself is in this and his IRL daughter Saleka is the pop singer that the concert is built around.

Maybe the idea is that the family man serial killer is analogous to directors whose lives are often split between their family and their obsessive need to spend months or years on a single project?
xx.gif
I never noticed how creepy Hartnett's smile was.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
So bitterly disappointing I cannot begin to describe how utterly Saulnier missed a great opportunity with this. The only redeeming factors were the cinematography and lighting. Aaron Pierre gives a good go to try and be like Denzel Washington in The Equalizer. The little action that was in it is well choreographed but I think Saulnier had his balls clipped when he made this. He pussed out massively on this compared to his previous film Hold the Dark. 4.5/10
MV5BNjFjNThlNjktZmYyOC00ZDYwLTg2ZDItZDk4MDhmYTBmMmIzXkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg

• Haha