The Official Movie Thread

I think actors are drawn to Tarantino because of his dialogue and characterization. I personally love his style; but I think actors just really love getting to delve into truly deranged and mental characters and that's why they love Tarantino. Furthermore, he usually is attracted to actors that aren't that popular, or aren't at the time, yet somehow he always draws memorable performances from them. People thought John Travolta would never be heard from again. Then he showed up in Pulp Fiction and proved that he could actually act. That gave his career a jump-start.

I can understand people not liking him though. It's a really different style of directing and writing. I love it though.

Cronenberg's just really weird, but I enjoy violence done well in films, and he excels at that. Some argue that his movies are gratiutously violent, but I've never thought that.

I personally am a fan of Tarantino although I know a lot don't agree. I actually like his slower paced character driven stuff like Kill Bill Vol. 2. But weather you like his films or not, he's got really good taste in movies, and a lot of his influences are really great. Lady Snowblood and The Taking of Pelham 123 are two really good films to check out if you wanna see where Tarantino got some of his ideas. There are loads more though.

The Kill Bill series was incredibly tedious.

I laughed a lot at the first one - it was really ridiculous. The final fight scene was hilarious. That said, that was back when anything with significant amounts of violence was fascinating for me.

Love him or hate him, you at least have to appreciate Tarantino's ambition and the fact that he is a writer/director. In a day and age where films are either remakes or sequels, it is nice to know some people are still going for originality.