The Official Movie Thread

watched 'a history of violence' for the third time, superb of course. it's like some bastard child of unforgiven and dogville (two of the best films of the last 20 years), anything that serves as an indictment of cognitive dissonance via illustration is always gonna be up my street. i also love films that seem to be reading me faster than i'm reading them, cronenberg stands next to lynch as the modern master of that.

I finally bought this the other night after renting it fifty billion times haha. I love it. I love the new direction Cronenberg is going towards with this and Eastern Promises. It should be interesting to see what his next film will be like.

not netflix, just d/led it, was a really good quality download actually. i'll buy the dvd if/when it comes out over here.

'wanted' sucks ass.

i love this direction of cronenberg's too although i don't see it as vastly removed from his prior material. i like 'eastern promises' slightly less than AHoV, but it's still great, love mortensen in it. having said that, 'dead ringers' remains my favourite of his, probably always will.

I read your reviews of Wanted and Burn After Reading. Totally agree on Wanted. I personally didn't like Burn After Reading which surprised me since I've loved all the other Coen movies I had seen. I think that kind of comedy which relies on absurdity rather than wit is not my thing.

Good reviews, I'll definitely be looking into more of them.

Eagle Eye is a pretty engrossing flick, even if it does borrow too many things from other movies.

I read your reviews of Wanted and Burn After Reading. Totally agree on Wanted. I personally didn't like Burn After Reading which surprised me since I've loved all the other Coen movies I had seen. I think that kind of comedy which relies on absurdity rather than wit is not my thing.

Good reviews, I'll definitely be looking into more of them.

i like to think i can do a lot better, my passion for movies has only just been rekindled after several months of apathy, and i've noticed a huge change in the quality of my writing since then.

just rewatched 'grave of the fireflies', review for that will be appearing at the same link shortly. i'm the least sentimental person ever and i still think it's a classic.

Nah, I think good ol' Demiurge has you beat for the title of 'least sentimental person ever.' Anyway, I am a huge pussy ergo I love Grave of the Fireflies. I am glad you liked it.

Nah, I think good ol' Demiurge has you beat for the title of 'least sentimental person ever.' Anyway, I am a huge pussy ergo I love Grave of the Fireflies. I am glad you liked it.

I did not watch that movie in 8 years but I vaguely remember it was too depressing. Isao Takahata worked with Hayao Miyazaki on Castle in The Sky [Laputa] and that is a great film.

I saw Gran Torino today. I thought it was pretty good. Occasionally it felt rushed and cliched, but the filmmakers restrained themselves enough and Clint Eastwood's excellent performance made it a very enjoyable and in the end touching movie imo.