The Official Movie Thread

In terms of Classical Hollywood Cinema it is pretty much the pinnacle of filmmaking. And no, the acting is not sucky like Ozzman said. Welles does a wonderful job and so does most of the rest of the cast.

The reason the film is so interesting is because of its experimental, highly evocative use of lighting, mise-en-scene (the use of visible ceilings, for example), cinematography (specifically the use of deep focus to frame scenes with little editing and extreme high/low angle shots) and its highly complex frame narrative structure. All of this coupled with a story of a wealthy and once well respected media baron descending into obscurity, madness and loneliness makes the film extremely intriguing, to say the least.

If you have the DVD version I'd suggest watching it again with Ebert's commentary turned on, as he points out many of the subtle meanings embedded within the film's aesthetics. And understanding CK's aesthetic symbolism is key to appreciating why it is heralded as such a grand achievement in the history of film.

Good points and i do understand that the movie was basically a break through for filmmaking. I loved how they made his age progress throughout the course of the movie because it was extremely convincing (especially for back then),and the camera angles that were used. But just because the mise-en-scene was excellent doesnt make the movie as a whole excellent. I'm not saying that the acting was bad, but it wasnt great either. Something about it, as strange as this may sound, did not convince me. That's just my opinion.

However, i'm very interested about hearing Ebert's commentary so maybe i'll pick up the DVD sometime. I'm sure that there is probably more to the movie than i'm seeing, but i'm not so sure.

Good points and i do understand that the movie was basically a break through for filmmaking. I loved how they made his age progress throughout the course of the movie because it was extremely convincing (especially for back then),and the camera angles that were used. But just because the mise-en-scene was excellent doesnt make the movie as a whole excellent. I'm not saying that the acting was bad, but it wasnt great either. Something about it, as strange as this may sound, did not convince me. That's just my opinion.

However, i'm very interested about hearing Ebert's commentary so maybe i'll pick up the DVD sometime. I'm sure that there is probably more to the movie than i'm seeing, but i'm not so sure.

I never said just because the mise-en-scene was excellent the film is automatically excellent as well. Rather, I meant that the film taken as a whole is what makes it such a great cinematic experience.

You also may be referring to the self-admittedly cheap plot device of 'rosebud'. When it is finally revealed that it was his sled it doesn't exactly provide the epiphany one would expect and is thus somewhat unsatisfying in that regard. However, I think it is safe to say that the rest of film is so well done that this minor quibble doesn't detract that much from the experience as a whole.

Death Aflame, could you advise to me some really fucked up movies?

I think the coolest thing I have seen lately is Russian Ark. Not a great story but the whole movie is ONE LONG SCENE. It all flows.

does anyone know what movie is the one by Hitchcock that was about two people commiting a murder, then stuffing the body into a crate and using that crate as a table at a dinner party because they wanted to prove they could get away with murder?

Death Aflame, could you advise to me some really fucked up movies?

I think the coolest thing I have seen lately is Russian Ark. Not a great story but the whole movie is ONE LONG SCENE. It all flows.

Blow Up and The Red Desert both by Antonioni. The former isn't that fucked up, but it isn't very conventional either. The Red Desert, on the the other hand is a complete spirit crusher of a movie, extremely oppressive in many ways. Probably not 'fucked up' in the way you are thinking but it does have a very strange veneer, at least at first.

Also, if you still haven't seen the mad time and space shifting mindfuck that is Last Year at Marienbad then I advise you to do so.

i just finished watching Terminator:)
its still just as cool as the first day i saw it

I'm not much a movie person, but I do have my top 5 list...

5. The Guns of Navarone
4. Airplane
3. 300
2. Spaceballs
1. Monty Python & the Holy Grail