The Official Movie Thread

Prisoners
movie-review-prisoners-L-AUkf5X.jpeg

One of the better movies 2013.

Prisoners-Movie-ending-Melissa-Leo.jpg

Have not seen:

The Man From Earth
A professor gathers his academic friends and confesses that he is a caveman who has been alive since prehistoric times thanks to a gene mutation allowing his cells to replicate without error. This claim is of course met with much skepticism, resulting in some very intriguing conversation about mortality and the history of mankind.

Rubber
a film that follows an animate tired (yes, like on a car) that rolls are blowing things up with its mind. It has some other strange elements to it...

The Good, The Bad, And the Weird
Two comical outlaws and a bounty hunter fight for a treasure map in 1940s Manchuria while being pursued by the Japanese army and Chinese bandits. This movie puts a crazy asian spin on the classic western theme.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
New Kids Turbo
The Act of Killing

This documentary has former Indonesian death squad leaders create reenactments of mass murders in different film genres. The way it is carried out and rationalised is perhaps the deepest tragedy the world is facing.

Samsara
is about a young Buddhist monk that flees his monastery to pursue his wildest fantasies. Besides the beautiful settings and the depiction of rural Tibetan life it has some unexpected dialogues

Batoru Rowaiaru (Battle Royale
)
What happens when you put 42 9th grade students on a deserted island, give them some random weapons, and let them know only 1 may live after 3 days pass, or they will all die
This is an extremely violent movie

Anyone seen any of these?

Act of Killing is so silly. Countries use nationalism to justify murders/killings/war all the time, why is the Indonesian massacre so different?

I have to admit that I'm sympathetic toward The Hunger Games (the films, that is) because I think they're engaged in their thematic content to a higher degree than most people give them credit for. While the tone of the subject matter might be young adult/teen-oriented, the interplay between form and content makes them more interesting for serious viewers.

What I mean is that The Hunger Games consciously makes a spectacle out of the Games, which people within upper districts then watch. However, as moviegoers we are also caught up in the spectacle; the films implicate us in the atrocity by appealing to our very desire to go see a bunch of kids fight each other (granted, we know it's simulated - but I would argue that the wealthy people in the film who watch the games live also feel as though it's being simulated because they're distanced from the immediacy of the violence).

Basically, I think the films exhibit a fair degree of complexity because they register their content at the level of form (i.e. a popular, big-budget film that elicits from its viewers the same kinds of responses experienced by characters within the film). And if you ask me if I think the filmmakers are actually conscious of this, my answer is yes: I think they are, although I don't really think that matters.

Currently dling this to watch tonight. Inspired by Fyodor Dostoevsky's novel. It looks awesome, it's about a "loser" guy who is overlooked and someone who looks exactly likes him starts working with him and basically succeeds in everything he doesn't and just living his life way better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw

MV5BMjIzMzAzMjQyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM2NjcyOQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

and

Thor_-_The_Dark_World_poster.jpg

Realised I don't care about Marvel...
Movies gave me next to nothing.

Will see
334840.jpg

Hope it doesn't suck or I'm giving up on the whole franchise.

The Pervert's Guide to Ideology is great. Gonna see it again.

Inequality for All was good but I get the there is nothing cinematic and almost nothing visual about it critique.

The Spirit of '45 - A documentary by Ken Loach.
Good thing I saw it on DVD. Started drifting away in no-time.
Much old people talking. Hardly no color thru the whole thing.
But the message was right on. Give this as a movie tip to all market-liberal freaks you might know.
ALL THE POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!

Also saw Noah. Was OK. Better than I expected.
Also - think I'm starting up a thing with Emma Watson.

Here's my five best films of all time, this should be pretty controversial:

Videodrome
The 39 Steps
Bad Timing
Cross of Iron
Taxi Driver

nah, that's a very cool list. weird but cool.

re above posts: i'm not particularly fond of THE DOUBLE or especially PRISONERS. wrote briefly about both here in a review for a much better movie.

Act of Killing is so silly. Countries use nationalism to justify murders/killings/war all the time, why is the Indonesian massacre so different?

.... i can't really comprehend what this point has to do with THE ACT OF KILLING. that's hardly its central thesis lol. my take here.

Well the main question from the film is why haven't these guys been prosecuted. Then it goes into the mindset of these guys in the 60's, and the damage Congo has done to himself mentally over time.

The fact that you ignored that part of the documentary is interesting as I see that as the turning point, or possibly one of the bigger messages from the film.

What's really different here?

Well the main question from the film is why haven't these guys been prosecuted. Then it goes into the mindset of these guys in the 60's, and the damage Congo has done to himself mentally over time.

The fact that you ignored that part of the documentary is interesting as I see that as the turning point, or possibly one of the bigger messages from the film.

What's really different here?

i think this is more than just "nationalism justifying killings". they seem largely unaware that they need to justify anything, they recollect and rationalise and reenact their worst deeds candidly as though they were nothing. this kind of brainwashed perspective is rarely taken to such extremes and rarely captured on film in this way.

but to me it's kind of irrelevant how different the massacre was, it's how different the film's examination of that massacre (and by extension the nature of all massacres and their culprits) is that makes it special. oppenheimer examines it from the perspective of the perpetrators by having them reconstruct their memories as miniature works of cinema, and those works are rendered surreal and harrowing and bizarre not only by the nature of the contents (which have rarely been accessed so directly on film), nor by the childish enthusiasm and complete lack of appropriate feeling with which they're performed, but by the repressed emotions and delusions that spill out into them.

this seems all the more clever when taking into account that it was cinema which inspired these gangsters in the first place, and now it becomes the place where they reckon with their own acts, in one case causing a conscience to emerge kicking and screaming. there's also a narrative running alongside it all about the sins of cinema in creating these monsters, and subsequently the beginnings of the medium's redemption. i find all of this very interesting or, at the very least, original.

no country: Great review! I'll definitely check out Enemy. I did really like The Double it was very stylistic (which i love), but I do understand the one dimension of the entire film (sorta bleak hopelessness). Will dl Enemy soon as it sounds like there's a lot more crazy/interesting characters to play with.