The Official Movie Thread

I really enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes, actually. They really did a good job humanizing the chimp in that and maintaining a sense of tragedy throughout.

I watched the actual first ever planet of the apes, partly to try and see why there were so many millions of sequels. I don't think it warranted more than one, maximum. It's a good film though and better than a lot of shit in terms of the idea itself, though. I'm glad I'm not another asshole who's seen all of the post 1990 ones but not the original Charlton Heston film.

It was the oddest mix of raw action and art house flick, but they pulled it off really well. Very entertaining and thought-provoking. It's not like it was saying anything new, per se, but the way it's filmed forces you to think more about what's going on.

What else is the director known for?

I've seen his other 3 films, The Host, Mother and Memories of Murder. Mother and Memories of Murder are just fantastic films while The Host is 'fun' with a lochness like creature patrolling the largest river in Seoul killing people. The Host and Mother used to be on Netflix instant, and Mother is definitely worth a watch and Memories is worth a download/blind buy.

They Live and Videodrome are two of the best films of the 80s.

Videodrome is all right..I like it but I can't even consider it Cronenberg's best.

Seriously considering watching Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. My favorite film critic said it was brilliant. Plus, Andy Serkis and Gary Oldman.

It's weird. I saw it on thursday and the characters are pretty annoying and all that. It's not a bad 'hollywood' flick but I wouldn't consider it good or amazing.

The Brood, Dead Zone, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch, A History of Violence and Eastern Promises are all top notch films. History and Eastern are entirely different from his earlier stuff, but the Brood and everything else in the 80s is great.

History and Eastern are entirely different from his earlier stuff
Perhaps but (and this might seem far fetched to some) I've always felt that it made complete sense for him to make A History of Violence after films like eXistenZ and Spider in the way that all three deal with identify and raise the question of which reality are we witnessing in their own individual ways.

Addo_Of_Nex said:
I might be in the minority, but Cosmopolis was fantastic as well.
I loved it too. I know I'm repeating myself but I think its great that he can still make a film that can polarize people, even longtime fans that much.

Its source material was also one of DeLillo's most polarizing works. Situated between The Body Artist and Falling Man, it was considered one of his more superfluous novels (lots of proposals/ideas without really saying anything).

(lots of proposals/ideas without really saying anything).
I've yet to read the book but I know after reading numerous negative reviews for the film the dialogue was almost always the number one complaint. According to Cronenberg, the majority of the dialogue was lifted from the book 99.9% verbatim and I don't really think the film could have been made with any other kind of dialogue. It just suited the characters personalities so well and that dense, clinical and precise way of speaking added to the films already odd, almost hypotonic mood.