The Official Movie Thread

The original Hellenistic sources include many eyewitness sources written by Alexander's top staff, such as Ptolemy I. A pity they're all lost now.

Or are you simply anti-historicism/historiography?

I forgot about this! After re-reading these posts, I can only assume that I missed your comment about the Hellenistic sources being lost last time.

My impression had been that the Hellenistic sources were heavily biased/romanticized, and so we had to rely on later Roman sources. My rejoinder was merely to ask whether later "unbiased" sources are any better since their historical removal would suggest (to me) that, even if unbiased, they don't have the immediacy that Hellenistic sources would.

But if the Hellenistic sources are all lost, then it doesn't matter either way. So apologies for the misunderstanding. I'm actually incredibly interested in historiography, primarily as it relates to narrative form.

It's a bit weird how something as racist as the 300 movies can be so accepted and mainstream in this day and age, I mean the Persians are portayed like satanic demons almost.

It's a bit weird how something as racist as the 300 movies can be so accepted and mainstream in this day and age, I mean the Persians are portayed like satanic demons almost.

I wondered that too, especially when watching the sequel last month. I mean, come on, the Persians even had SUICIDE BOMBERS.

I just returned from seeing the new Captain America. It was... entertaining, for sure. And perhaps the finest example of rightist propaganda in a film that I've seen in a while. It stuns me that conservatives et al complain about liberal Hollywood when a movie like this comes out, makes millions, and gets rave reviews.
Here be SPOILERS:

The film is an absurd fantasy about government infiltration and the (somewhat) arbitrary targeting of innocent civilians in the most literal and mind-numbing way (i.e. the actual targeting of civilians with colossal government-made advanced weapons hovering above the earth and locked in constant orbit). In fact, the most potentially interesting component of the plot - that the "algorithm" can predict the future - is left almost entirely unexplored. The majority of the film is comprised of explosions, campy dialogue, and a short-lived whodunnit mystery. All this is performed in the service of an ideology that fears government in a black-and-white, no-time-for-rational-thought fashion. The message, of course, is freedom; and that those who want freedom can be efficiently identified against those who don't, and (finally) that the binary of "want/don't want" can actually be maintained.

Long story short: the film is entertaining and hilarious (not always intentionally), but it is an immature anti-government fantasy (it actually ends with the dismantling and disintegration of the entire internal security apparatus).

Okay, I'm done.

The Green Berets and Red Dawn are the most ridiculously right wing American films I've seen.

On the other hand Kolberg (1945) is actually ok, it's as good as Red Dawn anyway, which isn't saying much admittedly. The only problem with the film, really, is that Goebbels edited out the meat of the action footage.

More people should see the old Agfacolour films, a lot of them are pretty damn good. Kolberg reminded me of El Cid (1961) more than anything, although it's nowhere near as good, if it hadn't been edited by Goebbels to make it less "pacifist" and was generally a bit less choppy it could be approaching that level of film.

Anyway, on another note, I've been watching a lot of Sci Fi lately. I'll try and list all of the SciFi films I've seen and then those on my "to watch list" and we'll see if anyone has any I should add.

(I'll do this later).

haha Red Dawn should definitely be on that list. At least the old one. Most hollywood war movies are pro-America though, usually indie-ish films present the troubles of war more

So, Godzilla didn't suck. I was so happy with it. It had all the aspects of the cheesy Godzilla VS. movies from the 70s with the look and feel of a modern blockbuster. People are gonna be pissed because Godzilla's not in it very much, but those old films are all about the ridiculous fights and the reveal scenes. Perhaps it was too long and too heavily focused on the human characters, but with today's average moviegoer, a 2 hour film of Godzilla beating the fuck out of some other monsters would be sterile, despite jerking off the fanboys like me.

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2014/05/godzilla-2014.html#more

yeah I thought Elysium was okay...except for Jodie Foster's horrid accent. Other than that the movie was enjoyable but nothing mindblowing

The last kind of recent films I've seen are Moon and the Hobbit films. They were decent enough, watchable. Moon was pretty good.

I mean, the best ones usually fly under the radar, unfortunately. When it comes to major releases, I can think of two masterpieces in Synecdoche, New York and The Tree of Life, alone.

Just watched Elysium. It was ok. Too many cliches man.

yeah I thought Elysium was okay...except for Jodie Foster's horrid accent. Other than that the movie was enjoyable but nothing mindblowing

The story had a lot of potential to represent class warfare but then complicate it by actually developing any of the characters representing the rich people (aside from Foster's character, who was pretty much evil). Instead, it just constantly rubbed a very unsubtle political message in our faces the whole time.

The politics/economics of Elysium also made no sense.

If there existed a machine that could cure any and every disease at the push of a button, and required nothing more than an electrical outlet, then the upper classes wouldn't keep such a machine away from the lower classes. They would sell them those machines for cheap, or maybe even give away the machines; I mean, having such a machine inspires no ambition or effort. It's the perfect instrument to keep the lower classes mired in poverty.

I'm looking forward to Godzilla.

Godzilla was pretty good, definitely better than what I expected. Pretty much backing Yoda, good to see some relevance back to the old ones. Don't think the monster is Mothra but you see it on an aquarium in the film if you're cool! Definitely worth the 9$~bucks.