The Official Movie Thread

Didn't say a narrative has to be clear to be good. Mulholland is a prime example of that but effective is important for non film class metrics of being a "classic". If anyone rates eraser ahead of lost highway, mulholland, blue velvet or twin peaks I'd be very very confused.

Edit and I forgot elephant Man.

Your comment that we agree seemed to suggest that you were saying it wasn't worthy of classic-status because it lacks a coherent narrative. My mistake.

Lost Highway is my favorite of the bunch, although I still haven't seen Inland Empire (and I never finished Twin Peaks, although by now I know how it ends). A large part of it has to do with the architecture of Fred's house (which Lynch owns and actually designed). I love that house--not to live in necessarily, but for cinematic purposes. All the weird windows, skylights, nonsensical corridors, etc. It's a film about observation/surveillance (in part), and the house totally reinforces that theme.

Last edited:
Inland is Mulholland but on acid. Too much for me

Think I rate blue velvet the highest now. Twin peaks basically ends in like 6 episodes of the second season but the final 2-3, when fine ass young Heather Graham shows up, must see imo

Really good podcast on Dario Argento's Three Mothers trilogy (that's Suspiria, Inferno and Mother of Tears for the uninitiated). There's quite a bit of focus on Tenebre as well. Per usual, Richard Stanley provides the most fascinating commentary, especially as it relates to the literary and alchemical influences that informed the mythology of the films:

Had Once Upon A Time in America screened last night for my film class, the 4 hr version, and i'm so triggered at two trigged females in my class

One said she wouldn't watch the film because there's too much James Woods in it...LOL

and my TA(gotta be in her 40s at least) said there was 1 too many rape scenes

women =/

Reactions: CiG
Gotta love the black market:

17862682_1364450070287405_8146822093324355814_n.jpg

"Quantum Tarantino" :lol: I love how they got Kim-Ki-Duk right though.

Just watched White God. What an amazing film. I think it's a Swedish film, but it won tons of awards and it's amazing what they were able to get those dogs to do! I'm absolutely blown away.

I recently watched Lifeforce (1985) and very much loved it. Apparently I'm in the extreme minority in that though. I think it's the best vampire film I've ever seen by some margin. It's especially good considering it's a Cannon production, the team behind stuff like Invasion USA.

Reactions: CiG