The Official Movie Thread

https://aeon.co/videos/prelude-to-the-space-age-the-1960-film-that-inspired-2001-a-space-odyssey

Beyond its history-of-science appeal, Universe also altered the course of cinema’s evolution: the film’s masterful cinematography and groundbreaking animation inspired Stanley Kubrick when he was researching his own space-traversing masterpiece, 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Kubrick even borrowed the voice of Universe’s narrator, Douglas Rain, for the iconic role of HAL 9000.

:yow: Fucking awesome, never heard of this before.

Watching:

Futurekick.jpg

Reactions: CiG
https://reprobatepress.com/2019/03/25/digging-in-the-dirt-motley-crues-disposable-biopic/

The other interesting thing about this 2019 production is the fact that it has been made at all. This is, after all, the era of #metoo, where sexual objectification and on-screen nudity is the subject of fervent disapproval, but here is a film that is not only awash with anonymous topless chicks giving blow jobs and being used up and then tossed aside, but which actually celebrates the guys doing it. There’s something oddly reassuring about the fact that it is still possible to make a film in which smiling groupies deliver blow jobs without it having to explore how this sexual harassment might have traumatised them.

:lol:

i wasn't a huge fan of the lego movie and also didn't like the trailer that much, so i'm a little dubious about all the rhapsodic praise myself, but obviously i'm reserving judgement 'til i've seen it.

a shit movie that i found myself quite liking by the end. it's just such a fucking epic nerdfest, huge and stupid and dorky. the worst thing about it is the score which is just completely bewildering.

Gotta say i enjoyed it. Seems like they tried to do a lot with the story, not exactly sure it worked, but definitely felt more like an "epic nerdfest" than just another superhero origin story

Tonight, in honor of the 97 poll/ list

166_1_large.jpg

Reactions: CiG
Finally watched Inherent Vice. It was okay, pretty lackluster. It's one of Pynchon's novels that I haven't read, mainly because colleagues have said it's "pretty lackluster."

It felt like Pynchon up to his usual antics without any meaningful core.