The Official Movie Thread

Might've seen this once a long time ago but dont remember anything about it. One of the first jobs i had was in Industry. Just a few miles from where im at right now.

Continuing my 1997 run ...
MV5BN2ZkMWFlODEtNzIyOC00NmU2LTg5MDQtYWQxY2UyYmQxZGJlL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Might've seen this once a long time ago but dont remember anything about it. One of the first jobs i had was in Industry. Just a few miles from where im at right now.

I recommend rewatching it if you can for the 1997 game. One of the better double cross crime films I've seen. Keitel was killing it in the 90's.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
reviews for the beach bum, korine's new joint:

Harmony Korine's EASY MONEY. Unhinged, musically poignant, and surprisingly accessible; an episodic, hazy hang out movie sporting what’s perhaps the quintessential McConaughey performance. Benoît Debie is doing God Level work, painting with neon opulence, as the movie devolves into a series of increasingly bizarre (not to mention wildly hedonistic) gags/mugging/shtick. Totally in love and will watch 20+ more times, almost definitely while on drugs.

-----

This is a hilarious film, so quotable and memeable that even above Spring Breakers it may burst the unlikeliest filmmaker into a level of mainstream exposure no one could have predicted. But The Beach Bum is also a sly work of character portraiture and social observation, an affable but undeniably pointed look at the pissed-away potential of previous generations as their more serious-minded children gaze on at their parents' casual disregard with professional confusion and more than a little jealousy. Not as resonant as Korine's previous film, perhaps, but every bit the showcase for one of America's most unclassifiable talents enjoying wider exposure without compromising anything about his slapdash but mesmerizing formalism or his gutter Cassavetes understanding of people.

-----

A 90 minute bender without a hangover. Though, subtly sad because it's a Korine movie and he knows that behind all the relentless hedonism present in his films is a desire to ignore the terrifying doldrums of reality. This, though, is the perfect tonic for that reality even with the sadness buried within. I haven't sustained laughter this hard in a long time. Jonah Hill's Kentucky fried dipshit agent, and Martin Lawrence's dolphin obsessed con artist are some light up gold brilliance. Korine's montage style works better here than even Spring Breakers, reflecting the fractured and recursive mind of Moondog in a way other artists probably couldn't. Would make an excellent double feature with Inherent Vice (the Janus of weed smoke, paranoia and good times). Can't wait to watch this again in, uhh, a better state of mind.

Reactions: CiG

I'm pretty bi-polar when it comes to the 'Musch. He's done movies I like, mainly due to the inclusion of Tom Waits (love the soundtrack for Night on Earth) but he's also done things I don't ever see myself seeking out. Is what it is. Tilda Swinton is hot with that sword.

i'm hit and miss with him too. i never really got into dead man even though it's his most acclaimed film and held up by certain film writers as the best film of its decade, i was probably too young for it when i saw it though. found ghost dog and paterson fine but a bit overrated. i like only lovers left alive, recall quite liking broken flowers based on a distant memory, and stranger than paradise and down by law are two of my favourite movies ever (the latter also stars tom waits of course). still haven't seen night on earth, mystery train, permanent vacation or the limits of control.

i'd also strongly recommend candy mountain if you like early jarmusch--very similar style and even has a waits cameo. has a little bit of wenders to it as well, probably just because it's an oddball american road movie made by a european.

'The Florida Project' director Sean Baker reveals details of his next project.

The LA-based Baker, who has been at International Film Festival Rotterdam with his film this week, will “take a road trip” using development funding from production company Cinereach (which also supported his research for The Florida Project) when he returns to the US. During the journey, he will begin to draw up the screenplay for the new project, which is likely to be a character-driven drama set against the backdrop of the current opioid epidemic in the US.

“I did have scripts ready to go but I have fallen out of love with them,” Baker told Screen International. “I see people want me to tell stories about the contemporary US and I am taking that to heart.”

'The Florida Project' director Sean Baker reveals details of his next project.

The LA-based Baker, who has been at International Film Festival Rotterdam with his film this week, will “take a road trip” using development funding from production company Cinereach (which also supported his research for The Florida Project) when he returns to the US. During the journey, he will begin to draw up the screenplay for the new project, which is likely to be a character-driven drama set against the backdrop of the current opioid epidemic in the US.

“I did have scripts ready to go but I have fallen out of love with them,” Baker told Screen International. “I see people want me to tell stories about the contemporary US and I am taking that to heart.”

i'm still not sure about baker tbh but i've enjoyed his stuff enough to keep going. not really a fan of the whole 'i'll do what people want from me' thing but at least he's honest i guess lol

I'm looking to check out Starlet soon, but as it stands Tangerine (a film I gave a 10/10) and The Florida Project are favourites. He might be in my top 5 modern filmmakers TBH. He was supposed to make his next film a puppet film, and while I see why the whole populist approach turns you off, as it does me too, I think a film about the opioid epidemic of the mid-west sounds a lot more interesting than a puppet film.

you should check out some dardennes stuff sometime if you love tangerine that much, the milieu is very different but it's a similar kind of street-level, immediate verite filmmaking style. the ending is right out of the dardennes playbook too IMO. the son (2002) would be my highest recommendation but most of their work is at least good.

starlet is worth seeing, i didn't like the writing so much but i'm pretty fond of how it's directed. i've liked each of his movies more than the last so far so i guess i should be fairly excited for this one.

Will do, thanks. Have you seen that first film he did, I think in collaboration with another filmmaker? It looks like an Asian movie or something.

Btw am I missing something about the dates Mandy came out or is it just not popular among the GMD? I don't remember seeing it in any lists in your 2018 game.

it's definitely a 2018 movie, it was pretty polarising though and we don't have many lists yet. i assume it'll pop up eventually.

oh and no i haven't seen anything pre-starlet

Just rewatched L.A. Confidential. Every single time I watch that one the first 20 minutes or so leaves me thinking "yeah this movie is never as good as I remember it being" and then it eventually picks up and I change my mind, lmao. Such an epic journey and I love the way the relationships between the characters unfold. Impresses me every single time.

Mandy was a long way off making my list tbh

It's currently in the mail along with You Were Never Really Here, I'm pretty keen to cross them off my to see list.

Btw am I missing something about the dates Mandy came out or is it just not popular among the GMD? I don't remember seeing it in any lists in your 2018 game.

It’s a trashy gorey lsd trip with nic cage in it. Of course that isnt going to go over that well with the snobbish types here.

I think Mandy's brilliant in its mashup of trashiness and aesthetic flourishes. I mean, you have a revenge narrative framed by some truly gorgeous and thoughtful visuals, and one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a while.

It may not be competing with films like Roma, but I think it deserves as much credit for being what it is, and doing it tastefully and in an aesthetically provoking way.