The Official Movie Thread

‘The Last Full Measure’ And ‘Color Out Of Space’ Have Solid Debuts, ‘Parasite’ Crosses $30M – Specialty Box Office

Also having a solid opening this weekend was RLJE Films’Color Out of Space,directed by cult filmmaker Richard Stanley and starring Nicolas Cage. The sci-fi horror grossed an estimated$217,800on 81 screens this weekend. When added to the $140,364 grossed at Wednesday’s special sneak preview screening, the estimated cume comes in at over $350,000.

Based on H.P. Lovecraft’s short story, Color Out of Spaceexpectedly performed well in New York and Los Angeles. It grossed an estimated $12,000 at the IFC Center in New York and $14,000 at Arclight Hollywood. Various Alamo Drafthouse locations — a perfect venue for a genre film like this — were selling out during the weekend in Brooklyn, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Austin, and Denver.

“Richard, Nic, and the Spectrevision team have brought Lovecraft’s story to life in a way that demands to be seen on the big screen,” said Mark Ward, RLJ Entertainment’s Chief Acquisitions Officer. “Color Out of Spaceis not just a movie, it’s an experience, and we’re thrilled that audiences are coming out to fill up theaters and take the ride together.”

The film, which currently is certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with an 84% score, is very much in a similar genre world likeMandy,which also starred Cage and was a collaboration between RLJE, Elijah Wood’s SpectreVision, and XYZ films.Color Out of Space nearly matchedMandy in its opening weekend gross of $225,723. The film is set to expand next weekend.

And...

Meanwhile, Pedro Almodovar’s Pain and Glory, starring Antonio Banderas, inched closer to a cume of $5 million, as it earned an estimated$56,621

Interesting moment starting at 13:16. Peele says Get Out was originally supposed to have a different ending, I think the ending he decided to eventually go with speaks to Wainds' criticism of the film's supposed targets liking it a little too much. The ending he went with almost seems like he let whitey off the hook if you know what I mean.

Just read that Kaufman's film adaption of I'm Thinking of Ending Things is coming to Netflix very soon.

Gotta watch better movies man.

For someone who seems incapable of actually explaining why they like/dislike movies/disagree with others you sure are up your own ass about movies. :D

Have you seen squid and the whale?

Nope, but I'm aware of it.

Reactions: Einherjar86
For someone who seems incapable of actually explaining why they like/dislike movies/disagree with others you sure are up your own ass abou
bitch I just explained why marriage story wasn't the film you saw and how it's a weaker version of the superior film the director already made more than a decade ago!

Lighthouse...waiting two hours for the films obvious climax to arrive was neither satisfying or profound in any way. It's amazing to compare parasite to the other films and how significant that drop is

You didn't explain shit. Read back.

Can't help that you haven't seen squid, but how you think the film plays on the "perfect couple" trope while the film itself is 70% or more focused on the separation and not the events leading to the separation makes a pretty critical road block here.

We get mommy mommy issues leaving her career, we get daddy issues for not fucking enough women and being more praise from whatever mediums. And the film weakly tries to demonstrate that in spite of all this "they both love each other" with the ending and the poor responses to the arguments throughout.

Just finished Marriage Story, throughout the entire film I kept thinking that Squid and the Whale was so much better at capturing this phenomenon, and then realized the same director made this one. Why the hell did he come back to this topic?

Trying to figure out how you thought this captured the relationship between these two at all. Maybe this would be true for a film like Blue Valentine, but this? At best it's about the internal conflict of being an actress & a mother versus a "genius" man & being a husband/father and the limitations of both characters

And it's done pretty poorly. I don't know how Baumbach got so tame after perfectly capturing the pettiness of divorce in Squid , but the reactions were non standard -- how ridiculous was the fallout from the apartment argument and the low brow divorce hearings?

Can't help that you haven't seen squid, but how you think the film plays on the "perfect couple" trope while the film itself is 70% or more focused on the separation and not the events leading to the separation makes a pretty critical road block here.

I never said that though. I said the film peels back their perfect family facade, which it does quite literally by opening the film with each character giving a monologue on the other's qualities.

This just came across my radar after seeing a review for the "film" on one of my favorite Letteboxd accounts. http://www.lunchmeatvhs.com/blog/gatc/

We live in fascinating times where money can be made off something that is on YouTube for free, that something being a home video of some Ohio teens hanging out at a carnival in 1991 that some guy found in a box of his girlfriends tapes. I'm probably going to watch it at some point. If nothing else I'm a sucker for 90's time capsules.

And the film weakly tries to demonstrate that in spite of all this "they both love each other" with the ending and the poor responses to the arguments throughout.

I have no idea what you were watching. It didn't try to demonstrate they both love each other. It tried to demonstrate the reality and complexity of most failed relationships - a mixture of love, hate, bitterness and a begrudging acceptance of compromise for the sake of their child.

Reactions: CiG
NP:
61vloUdRAcL._SY741_.jpg

... camera work was pretty cool at times, didnt really care for anything else here tbh. Was pretty bored most of the time and was just waiting for the film to end. I might have really enjoyed this when i was 13. Maybe i need to watch it again when im buzzed or something.

which it does quite literally by opening the film with each character giving a monologue on the other's qualities.
my man, there was what, 80 minutes of the film after this? come on now

It didn't try to demonstrate they both love each other. It tried to demonstrate the reality and complexity of most failed relationships - a mixture of love, hate, bitterness and a begrudging acceptance of compromise for the sake of their child.
I feel like we're agreeing here my man. I would say they never hated each other, or even bitter. This might be the most beta representation of divorce in the mainstream!