The Official Movie Thread

obviously it's the kind of movie that's soul-destroying if you aren't on its wavelength, but eh i'm always gonna love something that can be described as tim & eric doing inland empire by way of adam curtis, especially with the disturbing, hilarious way it rummages through all that '90s pop culture detritus (the more references i get the funnier it becomes). it's like a damaged memory dredged up from the bowels of the collective consciousness, nothing else like it for good or ill. i would still recommend it to obv max and CiG but probably not the other regs in here (maybe rms, who knows with that weirdo)

prescient prediction btw:
I watched this yesterday, it felt like being raped by audiovisual amateurism, but I did infact let it go all the way through. I think most people will not finish watching this, there was some funny shit in there though.

i would still recommend it to obv max and CiG but probably not the other regs in here (maybe rms, who knows with that weirdo)
I watched the Friedkin scene after you brought it up before and got a kick out of that, whoever they got to play Friedkin was eerily accurate. But I have this sneaking suspicion that if I tried watching the whole movie I'd get annoyed very fast.

Also unrelated to that movie but Packard has some truly retarded opinions like Lair of the White Worm and Whore aren't "real" Ken Russell movies. What the fuck kind of shit ass opinion on Ken Russell is that?

2f786t.jpg

actually it was paradise: hope i saw, not love lol. obviously a talented filmmaker, i'm just not into detached modes of filmmaking as a general rule. the more expressionist the better.

baker likes literally every movie in the entire world in fairness, i know because i follow his letterboxd. he's also never said a single interesting thing about any of them. i still like his movies though :p

Yeah he didn't say anything interesting about Import/Export either, to be fair lmao. He was just rattling off movies that were influential to him, I recognized the name because my streaming service has it and it's Eastern European which I'm a sucker for. Seriously check it out if you can, I wouldn't describe it as detached for what it's worth.

Hopefully I can find time today to watch Ciro Guerra's Birds of Passage. Judging from Embrace of the Serpent at the very least this film should be nice to look at.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/...KHeWPTlIoUMXaehRwRbjePepJ7cxkiJekilZZcJKFfNF0

Of all the films this year that have been forced by circumstances to make their debuts via home video and streaming services, I can't think of one that I would've rather seen in a theater than 'Valley of the Gods.' This is partly because it is indeed a large-scale drama with a grand visual sweep that presumably needs a big screen to be properly appreciated. However, the real reason I wish that I could have seen it in a theater is to be able to see the faces of the other audience members once the end credits started rolling. My guess is that their facial expressions would greatly resemble those of the first night crowd for 'Springtime for Hitler' at the end of the opening number. This is a movie so strange, bizarre and so unclassifiable that as soon as I was done watching it, I contacted my editor to see if deploying the phrase 'batshit crazy' would be acceptable. It was approved but I have decided not to employ it on the basis that even that description undersells the experience... By most critical standards, 'Valley of the Gods' is a film that starts off as being fairly berserk and quickly becomes frothing mad... Even though it pretty much goes off the rails right from the start, never to return, I never quite minded. The film may be nuts but it certainly isn’t boring and there is never a moment where you feel the plot gears grinding away - this is definitely a movie that moves to the beat of a different drummer, even when it seems as if the drummer in question is Keith Moon.