The Official Movie Thread

It's a double-edged sword I guess. On one hand it gives you a good reason to watch Tenet multiple times but on the other hand it means on some level Nolan failed to deliver a clear narrative and for a lot of people it came across cluttered.

Or I just didn't give it the attention it deserved. After Inception, I kinda lost faith in Nolan as a director whose work deserves real close attention, but maybe Tenet improves on closer inspection. The sound mixing was weird too, as I mentioned, and I probably missed some plot points because I just didn't hear them.

At any rate, I wouldn't be annoyed to watch it again. It's a very enjoyable film visually.

Reactions: CiG
Tonight, double header..

68368_1_large.jpg

&

68415_1_large.jpg

Saw two awesome films recently: Orson Welles’ F for Fake and Park Chan-wook’s The Handmaiden.

I always think of Welles as taking himself very seriously, so it was really fun to see him poking fun at himself in Fake, while also offering a really playful and deconstructive take on the documentary genre. Would recommend for fans of Welles and meta-narrative shenanigans.

The Handmaiden was also fantastic, fucked up story but with the right amount of humor and poetic justice. Also didn’t see the twists and turns coming, and it made for a really fun watch.

Last edited:
Saw two awesome films recently: Orson Welles’ F is for Fake and Park Chan-wook’s The Handmaiden.

I always think of Welles as taking himself very seriously, so it was really fun to see him poking fun at himself in Fake, while also offering a really playful and deconstructive take on the documentary genre. Would recommend for fans of Welles and meta-narrative shenanigans.

The Handmaiden was also fantastic, fucked up story but with the right amount of humor and poetic justice. Also didn’t see the twists and turns coming, and it made for a really fun watch.

Love the work of Park Chan -Wook, The Vengeance Trilogy is brilliant, dark, yet strangely beautiful, Thirst isn't too bad.
Feel like that one- take hallway fight in oldboy deserves a special mention, I haven't seen the Hollywood remake, and I doubt I will, they are rarely up to scratch

Reactions: Einherjar86
Saw two awesome films recently: Orson Welles’ F for Fake and Park Chan-wook’s The Handmaiden.

I love The Handmaiden. I think it was #2 in my 2016 list.

As for F for Fake, what can I say. One of the very few movies I'd give 5 stars to, Welles' best, and so far ahead of it's time it's not funny.

Have you seen The Other Side of the Wind yet? If you haven't, suggest you get on it because it's a thematic companion to F for Fake.

Reactions: Einherjar86
Boss_Level-217735152-large.jpg

Strange I'd never heard of this movie despite the star cast. As far as video-game style ultraviolence goes, this was one of the more entertaining I've seen. Yet another Groundhog Day premise but funny enough to overlook the stale ideas. Gibson is convincing again as the bad guy but doesn't get enough material to work with.

Last edited:
I love The Handmaiden. I think it was #2 in my 2016 list.

As for F for Fake, what can I say. One of the very few movies I'd give 5 stars to, Welles' best, and so far ahead of it's time it's not funny.

Very ahead of its time, as far as cinema goes. A few years before the movie came out, Hugh Kenner published a book called The Counterfeiters: An Historical Comedy, which unpacked all the assumptions we make about art (which also includes literature, for Kenner), including its connection to the artist/author. I have to imagine Welles stumbled across that book and was thinking of it when making F for Fake.

Have you seen The Other Side of the Wind yet? If you haven't, suggest you get on it because it's a thematic companion to F for Fake.

I have not. I will get on it--thanks!

MV5BYjc1N2M1YjMtYzBiNi00NGFiLThkN2QtY2EwZGU5MDRkODAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkzODUwNzk@._V1_.jpg

This was simultaneously awesome and disappointing. The lengthy build up was great, setting up the dynamics of the small town. Reminded me of Rio Bravo, one of my favourite movies. And the eventual change of gears had the potential to be so great, but I can't help but be disappointed with the execution.

The climax just seemed incredibly rushed and in stark contrast to the meticulous build up. Like it was all foreplay and no sex. Too many elements not developed - Teresa is positioned as the main character yet has no involvement in the denouement. The doctor Domingas - her odd behaviour at the funeral is never explained. What was the reason for her apparent death wish in confronting Udo Kier's character at the end? The reformed gangster Pacote is given a proper backstory but he too has little involvement in how things unfold. As for the satire elements which are frequently talked up, beyond the blatantly obvious statement about Westerners (literally) preying on South Americans I'm not sure it had much to say, or that it did so particularly cleverly.

Reactions: CiG
You guys got me excited for Tenet and it's just a mess. How you guys can enjoy a movie where every question is subsequently answered, directly, is so different than anything I want my film experience to be.

Kind of surprised anyone has an intense appreciation after a film like that. I don't know what would get anyone excited after viewing. At least with interstellar, it was an intense emotional experience, imo. This? "Oh I thought we knew what was going on, but we didn't!" For two hours :lol:
Like others, we also had some sound issues with the dialogue. I had to keep turning it up and down, and eventually said fuck it. So I probably missed some shit.
It was one line 90% of the way in. "The rivers dried and the oceans froze, what do you expect them to do?" - took that somewhat metaphorically, personally. But who knows
Nolan gets at this issue in Memento
Nolan doing his best baumbach and rehashing old ideas with a worse film. Agreeing here.