The Official Movie Thread

During the process of directing the Lord of the Rings films, Peter Jackson really devolved into a giant hack.

He emerged on the other side of that trilogy as just one of the crummiest directors around today. Look what he directed right after the final Lord of the Rings film, King fucking terrible shit Kong.

Reactions: Manic Ferocity
During the process of directing the Lord of the Rings films, Peter Jackson really devolved into a giant hack.

He emerged on the other side of that trilogy as just one of the crummiest directors around today. Look what he directed right after the final Lord of the Rings film, King fucking terrible shit Kong.
Its especially disappointing consider all that came before. From Bad Taste to The Frighteners, not a bad film in-between. And speaking of Jackson, this delightful blast from the video past popped up in my Fuckface feed a few days ago, Dead Alive audience reactions:

Has anyone seen The Invitation plus the trailer? If you saw the trailer first it would completely ruin the tension, and the tension is what the movie relies heavily on.

i've seen the movie (it was aight), but i never watch trailers unless i see them at the cinema, they always spoil stuff and usually misrepresent the movie they're advertising. you should check out The Gift if you liked that movie, has some similarities.

^I'm excited but unfortunately I will have had every single plot point spoiled for me by the time it's out on bluray and I can finally watch it.

i don't find it that hard to avoid spoilers for stuff tbh, no matter how popular. i even managed to read the last few harry potter books without getting them spoiled. helps that i have a shitty memory and would probably forget by the time i watched anyway.

Watched Hell or High Water tonight. Really good movie, a post-Cormac McCarthy western, although more politically motivated than a McCarthy novel.

Last edited:
i agree with your mccarthy comparison, it's kind of a poor man's No Country For Old Men to me. still solid though. i wrote this capsule on that one at the time:
"not subtle or very well-written (it's sheridan, go figure), with near-KILLING THEM SOFTLY levels of sledgehammer cynicism re: the U$A'n dream, but interesting for how its traditional archetypes fit into & are bred by modern america. a cowboy protects his own via dubiously "noble" lawbreaking, a sheriff serves the exploitative system, the 'indians' and the poor are trampled underfoot, the snake keeps eating its own tail. the difference, this time, is neither gets to enjoy a peaceful retirement."

i wish there were more modern westerns, i'm glad there's been a slight resurgence lately. Deadwood is far beyond anything else as far as 21st century westerns go, and Justified is the best straight up pulpy (halfway-)western saga, so TV wins easily, which is kind of a shame tbh. The Assassination of Jesse James... would be my favourite movie western of this century, and i suppose The Homesman is my fav of this decade? slim pickings.

Just finished watching Warlock (1989). Picked it up on blu-ray recently. Remembered it from back in the old video store days. Basically a warlock and a witch hunter travel from the 1600's to the 1980's and horror and chaos insue. Nothing spectacular but pretty entertaining if you like 80's horror flicks. Solid 7.5/10

MV5BMTUyODU2ODYzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDU5MDUxMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

warlock%20back.jpg

Last edited:
i agree with your mccarthy comparison, it's kind of a poor man's No Country For Old Men to me. still solid though. i wrote this capsule on that one at the time:
"not subtle or very well-written (it's sheridan, go figure), with near-KILLING THEM SOFTLY levels of sledgehammer cynicism re: the U$A'n dream, but interesting for how its traditional archetypes fit into & are bred by modern america. a cowboy protects his own via dubiously "noble" lawbreaking, a sheriff serves the exploitative system, the 'indians' and the poor are trampled underfoot, the snake keeps eating its own tail. the difference, this time, is neither gets to enjoy a peaceful retirement."

i wish there were more modern westerns, i'm glad there's been a slight resurgence lately. Deadwood is far beyond anything else as far as 21st century westerns go, and Justified is the best straight up pulpy (halfway-)western saga, so TV wins easily, which is kind of a shame tbh. The Assassination of Jesse James... would be my favourite movie western of this century, and i suppose The Homesman is my fav of this decade? slim pickings.

We may have discussed this before, but have you seen The Proposition? I'm a big fan of that one, has a Heart of Darkness (slash Apocalypse Now) thing going on that I think works really well. Actually, the scene with John Hurt reminds me in some ways of the scene with the French colonists from the extended version of Apocalypse Now (mainly just in the sense that it's a stopover point in the plot that features some political commentary).

Finally watched Videodrome after reading this thread and remembering to watch it. Loved it. I actually thought maybe that's where A Serbin Film got some of its concepts from. I downloaded Dead Ringers to watch sometime soon too.

My wife really like Dead Ringers. I fell asleep both times I watched it.

I need to find something decent to watch between Amazon prime/Shudder/Netflix because I'm currently rotting my brain with crocodile movies on SyFy while my wife is so fucked on Ambien she can hardly speak.

Finally watching the last Harry Potter movies, always thought it was a good series but I'm behind a few.

Also the Warlock series is excellent. Not best ever but really neat plot, love the gimmicky effects. Plus Julian Sands is just such a terrific old style actor and he was a real fox in those days on top of it.

i've seen the movie (it was aight), but i never watch trailers unless i see them at the cinema, they always spoil stuff and usually misrepresent the movie they're advertising. you should check out The Gift if you liked that movie, has some similarities.

Yeah I've seen The Gift, also a good movie. Ordinary situations going bad is my favourite thriller premise.