The Official Movie Thread

I've had that wishlisted for forever. For some reason Robert Aldrich shit is hard to see over here. Your description of it sounds fucking amazing.

378052387_1335520050397171_4106625146166000082_n.jpg
Watched Re: Born (2017) last night. This rules big time.

A dark splattery action assassin flick with a psychological thriller bent. Directed by Yûji Shimomura with Tak Sakaguchi in the lead (both mostly infamous for working on Versus).

tumblr_p5ssvuqjqG1rmrpdmo5_r1_400.gif

Highly recommended for fans of cool action choreography, martial arts, stabbing/slashing, squirting blood etc etc. Gets compared to John Wick, for whatever that's worth. It's not as "cinematic" or stylish as John Wick imo, and reminds me more of a blend of Wilson Yip and Takashi Miike. Yûji did stunt choreography on Yip's Flash Point so it makes sense.

@CiG , you see or hear of this one?

120464_1_large.jpg

Tried to watch it the other day but it's 2 and 1/2 hours long! Clocked out halfway through, going to have to try to finish it maybe tomorrow. But the half i did watch was kind of shitty.

Yeah I've watched that, huge fan actually.
well I'll definitely have to finish it then. I've read that there seems to be 2 versions or something of that sort. The version i have is like 2 hrs and 36 mins. Read that there's another version out there that clocks in at just under 2hrs? You know anything about this? A lot of scenes seemed very stretched out or padded, maybe i should look for the shorter version

rita moreno was in singin' in the rain in 1952 and has multiple 2023 acting credits.

sophia loren was in a bunch of solid stuff as early as 1954 and was still active in 2020, nothing since except a doc about herself though.

lois smith was in the classic east of eden back in 1955, and is still going (she was in the french dispatch, and something else in 2022).

bruce dern was in the great wild river in 1960, albeit uncredited.

robert duvall was in to kill a mockingbird back in 1962, he's still appearing in stuff. robert redford was in the fairly acclaimed war hunt in the same year.

james earl jones was in dr strangelove in 1964, which matches the year of eastwood's first 'major' film. ditto michael caine in zulu (he was in stuff all the way back to 1950 but not sure any of it was good), and maggie smith in the pumpkin eater. julie andrews was in mary poppins in 1964 but she's only active as a voice actor now. morgan freeman was an uncredited nobody in 1964's the pawnbroker. jane fonda was also in solid stuff around the same time.

forgive me if i missed that any of these died recently lmao.

edit: you beat me to a couple of these.

You didn't tell me doctor fucking Jacoby was in Gun Crazy (1950).

jacoby.png

2) wagon master (ford western/languid outcast hangout movie, nothing else quite like it)

What a strange movie. I got to the ending montage and had a simultaneous reaction of "that's it?" and chills down my spine. I get what people mean when they describe it as a visual poem about the frontier spirit. I think I loved it but didn't know it until it ended. I'm making a toplist of my own and so far it looks like a majority of the entries end with the protagonist dying because 1950 cinema is fucking bleak apparently, so it's a nice break to see a movie that's this light without coming off naive or contrived. In terms of vibe it actually reminded me of Scandal from this year so maybe you'd like that, though nobody seems to like that movie as much as I do.

What a strange movie. I got to the ending montage and had a simultaneous reaction of "that's it?" and chills down my spine. I get what people mean when they describe it as a visual poem about the frontier spirit. I think I loved it but didn't know it until it ended. I'm making a toplist of my own and so far it looks like a majority of the entries end with the protagonist dying because 1950 cinema is fucking bleak apparently, so it's a nice break to see a movie that's this light without coming off naive or contrived. In terms of vibe it actually reminded me of Scandal from this year so maybe you'd like that, though nobody seems to like that movie as much as I do.
i had a similar experience and then rewatched it a couple of days later (i hardly ever do rewatches straight away but i really wanted to clarify my feelings on it) and it clicked way more the second time. definitely an odd film even by ford's standards. is that your first ford?

curious what you thought of the others you've rated on letterboxd btw (beyond the star rating i mean).

I've seen The Searchers as a kid, but too long ago to count really. So I probably picked a pretty weird first Ford film to watch.

1695655681288.jpeg

This was barely on my watchlist but I'm so glad I checked it out, might be one of my favorites of the whole year. A cruel film even by film noir standards that gets a lot of mileage out of its nautical setting. After sitting through a dozen films from this year with minimal-to-no black representation, THAT ending couldn't be more perfect.

tumblr_fd5566b6aa5b6b7e586caa678e1d91a9_fd5565d8_540.gif

Barbie was... an experience. It was an ideological mess, but the production value and sets/costumes were hard not to love.
Cera as the gay-coded Allan was hilarious, as was Gosling, who basically stole the movie from Margot at every turn. The socio-political commentary was a bit shallow to really feel engaging to me, all while patting itself on the back a bit too much. Overall I enjoyed it though, despite myself.