The Official Movie Thread

Anyone know of any other great french horror/slasher flicks produced over the last few years?

I'm not particularly a big fan of it, but Martyrs is one that's getting a lot of attention. It's pretty damn brutal. Not really my thing, but there's a good chance you'll enjoy it.

Just finished watching a very disturbing french horror/slasher film called 'Frontiers'.It's one of the best in the genre that i've seen for quite some time,certainly better than 'Haute Tension'.Gonna watch 'Inside' next which is another French slasher that's had some great reviews,if it's anything like 'Frontiers' it will be literally sick!Anyone know of any other great french horror/slasher flicks produced over the last few years?

Is that the one where people wake up chained to beds and think they're in hell because of all the shit that's done to them?

Cries and Whispers is one of the Bergman movies I can't get into. I don't neccesarily feel it's bad, but I've watched it two times, and each time I've felt like I missed the whole message of the movie. Liv Ullman is so stunning in that movie though, fuck, I want to spend a lifetime with her.

Liv Ullman is a babe in it. And it's crazy how different Ingrid Thulin looks compared to her total dripping hotness in Wild Strawberries

I think the gist of the movie was to show how horrible Maria (Liv) and Karin (Ingrid) were as people and that the only decent people were Anna and Agnes, and the one girl was dying and the other was just the lowly housemaid/lesbian lover.

Is that the one where people wake up chained to beds and think they're in hell because of all the shit that's done to them?

Nah it's set in a war ravaged france where right ring forces are staging a revolution against the governtment,a group of young ppl get chased by the cops and split up.Meeting up at a country inn where things go from bad to worse,very atmospheric,disturbing and downright awesome,porobably the best new horror film i've seen in ages,the French are the shit these days as far as slasher films go.I did'nt get around to checking out 'Inside' last night so I might check it out now.

Can anybody please identify this movie for me.. its an asian movie (chinese, korean or something) and its shot entirely in a boat with seasons changing representing either phases of human life or emotions or something. Any ideas?

Is it Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring? That's a Korean one by Ki-duk Kim. It was moreso filmed on a monastery in a lake. He did have another one called The Bow that was on a boat. The Isle had floating houses and boats. All three are good.

Anyway: Dersu Uzala - Russian film by Kurosawa. Watched it this morning and completely missed the point until a few minutes ago.

martyrs is p awesome, at least for a while

uhh did someone just say the last 20 mins of where the wild things are were 'entertaining' and 'enjoyable'? man, i don't get that, it's so bleak and intense and full of freudian rage by that point, verges upon apocalyptic. can't believe it doesn't get resolved, it's essentially a father sailing away leaving a bunch of messed up kids to certain doom at their own volatile hands - can't think of another movie of this sort which would make such a decision, and that just makes it all the more disturbing.

not that the film doesn't have its flaws, but still...

I finally managed to pick up Blue Velvet which is one of my favourite films. I also bought Mulholland Dr. even though I was disappointed with that one.

nice. I'm in the same boat...Blue Velvet is probably one of my favorite Lynch films

:)

Oddly enough, Blue Velvet is one of my least favorite Lynch movies, and Mulholland Dr. is my 3rd or 4th favorite movie of all time.

Well, to me it seems like Mulholland Dr. is Lynch's most popular film. I noticed it made several top ten films of the decade lists but I've never really understood the love behind the film.

I guess this is also a bit controversial but I love Lost Highway and I really like Wild at Heart. Both of these tend to be hit/miss with fans.

I hated Wild at Heart, disliked Blue Velvet, was partial to Lost Highway and liked Mulholland Drive. Overall I'm not a fan of Lynch.

Saw Jacob's Ladder, Ichi the Killer and Spalovac Mrtvol (The Cremator; Mr Kopfrkingl is an incredible character, a must see).

I know it has been out now and I knew from the beginning I would find it a waste of my time and I was right. And that waste of time was Paranormal Activity. My brother and his girlfriend, my twin sister and her boyfriend, and me (very awkward, by the way) all watched it and everyone had this hype that it was "scary". It was garbage. I took like a 45 minute nap through it and I was disappointed that it wasn't over. My older brother actually knows a guy would couldn't sleep for a week because of it. How? And then after that we all watched The Fourth Kind, I actually liked that movie. It was way better than Paranormal Activity and kept me interested in it.

I enjoyed Lost Highway, mainly because I couldn't make total sense out of it. I don't think Lynch films need to make sense; the aura is spectacular. And Blake's character in that movie was so awesome.

Saw Jacob's Ladder, Ichi the Killer and Spalovac Mrtvol (The Cremator; Mr Kopfrkingl is an incredible character, a must see).

Jacob's Ladder is a really good movie; creepy as hell.

Last edited by a moderator: