The Photography Thread

Ah. I only asked because the Spanish word is reina and Romanian has the same immediate mother language.

Just got another lens today, this time a nifty fifty.

God damn man, f22? Were you using the 18-55? That lens' sweet spot is literally at f5.6/f8 (depending on focal length), and I think beyond f11 with that lens you start getting diffraction.

Which 50mm did you get?

And yeah, I wanted to see what would happen if I put my settings to capture the least amount of light while pointing at the sun/clouds and thats what I got.

I have one around f10 or f8 but it didn't look nearly as awesome. And it was the 55-250mm@ 74mm.

I used the live view setting though, and just kept lowering everything, and then started to actually see the sun, as opposed to blinding light. It was pretty cool!

One more, with similar settings:

^I really like that one.

I just got the Canon 1.8 MKII model. I figure for now it will be my general walk around lens until I finally come to a conclusion about what L to get.

That lens actually has some really decent specs for it's price range! How much did you pick it up for?
(reference point for specs)

Ah cool. I fucking love that lens. So great a capturing light, and insanely sharp around 4-5.6 or so.

If I could have any L lens I would want the 70-200mm 2.8 IS but thats way too expensive. I was thinking about, when I have the money either getting a 70-200mm f/4L (since it's like the cheapest L lens there is, and lenses don't really lose value, so once I'm ready to upgrade I could just sell it) or get a 70-200mm 2.8 Sigma or Tamron (all of which are around $600 or so?).

I got it off of craigslist for just $125. The guy had the box, warranty card, and even the receipt (purchased in August of last year) and that was about it.

What lenses do you have btw?

Don't bother with 70-200mm lenses that aren't Canon. Seriously, I've heard nothing but shit about the Sigma/Tamron variants.

The f4 is a good deal, and you're correct about the resale value, so it's always an option.

I have the
100mm 2.8L
50mm 1.8
18-55mm IS variant
---
currently looking to acquire a few different ones, not sure if I will go for the ef-s 17-55 2.8, or the 24-105mm f4 L

Ah really? Well before/if I buy the 70-200mm f/4L I can always try out the Tamron variant at the camera shop, just to see how it is. Depending on how things go, in a couple paychecks I'll hopefully have enough.

The 24-105mm f4L seems like it'd be the perfect walk around lens, but I would go for the 17-55 2.8 due to low light stuff.

What good Sigma/Tamron variants do you know of, if any? I was actually bidding on a Sigma 28-70mm 2.8 last night but ended up losing.

The thing you have to remember is that many Tamron or Sigma lenses are reverse engineered from either Nikon or Canon, and sold as equivalents. This is especially true of the 70-200mm focal range, as that coveted ground is currently flat out owned by Canon. That being said, the two best lenses I've heard about from Tamron and Sigma are...

Tamron's 17-50 NON-VC is sharp and highly recommended, especially for the price. Definitely test it out first, peoples tastes and feel for lenses vary wildly.

The Sigma 8-16 & 10-20mm take great pictures, despite the distortion the naturally exists at such wideness. Every picture I've seen from the former lens typically looks breathtaking, the latter is always paired as its equivalent in quality, but my experience of scouring pictures for the 10-20 is a bit limited.

Sigma also makes a lot of super focal length lenses, but they're so highly priced that I'm not even going to bother getting into them.

That being said, Tamron and Sigma are really a mixed bag. Many of their lenses have many positive aspects (price being a major one usually). They also however have many drawbacks, and typically these con's show up as harder AF tracking, increased CA/Vignetting, and a weaker body structure. Sharpness may or may not suffer, it really depends on the lens.

I only recommend the Canon 70-200mm because it flat out has the best optics available in that focal range. You might want to go to a store and test those lenses out and get a personal feel for them before following my (or anyone's) recommendations. If I were you though, I would just save up for the Canon variant, because it would be cheaper in the long run (you wouldn't have to sell and re-buy gear after all).

Also, invest in a good tripod!

New self-portrait:
SelfPortraitI006.jpg

Had to test out the nifty fifty somehow, and since it was pouring outside, ripping out my eye and taking a picture was the only thing I could think of :Spin:

This is a great reference shot actually, I hope you shot it in RAW because I'd love to see this re-processed with:

- lower saturation
- higher midrange tones (to bring out the face a bit more)
- then finish it off with harder blacks (but be careful to not go too hard or you lose the form of the hair)

and see how it turns out.

The thing you have to remember is that many Tamron or Sigma lenses are reverse engineered from either Nikon or Canon, and sold as equivalents. This is especially true of the 70-200mm focal range, as that coveted ground is currently flat out owned by Canon. That being said, the two best lenses I've heard about from Tamron and Sigma are...

Tamron's 17-50 NON-VC is sharp and highly recommended, especially for the price. Definitely test it out first, peoples tastes and feel for lenses vary wildly.

The Sigma 8-16 & 10-20mm take great pictures, despite the distortion the naturally exists at such wideness. Every picture I've seen from the former lens typically looks breathtaking, the latter is always paired as its equivalent in quality, but my experience of scouring pictures for the 10-20 is a bit limited.

Sigma also makes a lot of super focal length lenses, but they're so highly priced that I'm not even going to bother getting into them.

That being said, Tamron and Sigma are really a mixed bag. Many of their lenses have many positive aspects (price being a major one usually). They also however have many drawbacks, and typically these con's show up as harder AF tracking, increased CA/Vignetting, and a weaker body structure. Sharpness may or may not suffer, it really depends on the lens.

I only recommend the Canon 70-200mm because it flat out has the best optics available in that focal range. You might want to go to a store and test those lenses out and get a personal feel for them before following my (or anyone's) recommendations. If I were you though, I would just save up for the Canon variant, because it would be cheaper in the long run (you wouldn't have to sell and re-buy gear after all).

Also, invest in a good tripod!

Well, I ended up getting approved for the Amazon.com credit card, and right now there's no interest on items paid within 6 months so I got this beauty (well, the non IS one):

page25_blog_entry8-canon_ef_70-200mm_f4l_is_540x379.jpg

Can't wait for it! It was listed under the used items, but was just a display one at some store, and has full warranty and everything.

Cool portrait shot btw!

Oh and question: is there any reason I should keep the 55-250mm? The extra 50mm wouldn't be bad, but asides from that I can't think any reasons to keep it.

me lovez Photography, but I am not very good at it. Heres some pics from my recent Japan adventure.

184694_10150422637905463_623505462_17611240_4385776_n.jpg

189299_10150423981765463_623505462_17624736_5991392_n.jpg

190687_10150422640130463_623505462_17611287_6339868_n.jpg

this one isnt good, it just really confuses me.
183723_10150422639980463_623505462_17611285_287626_n.jpg

200105_10150428983065463_623505462_17696737_6442808_n.jpg

insane mikey and minnie mouse punk band

197646_10150432862605463_623505462_17744973_8051374_n.jpg