The (Post-Recession/Obama) Non-Batshit Politics Thread of 2015 & Beyond

Which of these best describes your views?

• liberal

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • conservative

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • left-leaning moderate

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • right-leaning moderate

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • libertarian

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • other anti-establishment

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • apathetic

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
Evidence? stats? data? something!?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/us/01race.html
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/breakdown-114th-congress-demographics-gender
https://rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates

Great so give everyone the same name, affirmative action for republican states and someone encourage women to have an interest in reporting crime.

Easy tasks here

Your first two "points" are obvious sarcasm, but I hope you aren't clueless enough to think victims of sexual assault simply aren't interested in reporting the crimes against them.

@zabu Good on you, Sir

The first article is statistically misleading and full of insignificant anecdotes.

The most relevant part is the NBER study it links to. Here's an excerpt from the abstract:
We perform a field experiment to measure racial discrimination in the labor market. We respond with fictitious resumes to help-wanted ads in Boston and Chicago newspapers. To manipulate perception of race, each resume is assigned either a very African American sounding name or a very White sounding name. The results show significant discrimination against African-American names: White names receive 50 percent more callbacks for interviews. We also find that race affects the benefits of a better resume. For White names, a higher quality resume elicits 30 percent more callbacks whereas for African Americans, it elicits a far smaller increase.
http://www.nber.org/papers/w9873

All 3 suck and are useless for any kind of informed debate.

You've shown neither an understanding of nor an interest in informed debate.

It was a study done in the recession, and the only conclusion the article came up, which is an incredibly biased article anyways, was that it's because those african names lead to less jobs!! It couldn't be a problem of education throughout inner cities that effect a class of people, but rather racism, because that sells/gets more ads.

From your second article;
Applicants living in better neighborhoods receive more callbacks but, interestingly, this effect does not differ by race.

You have no interest in debate or solutions. You, like most guilt ridden whiteys, are interested in only saying that the system is fucked. Why didn't you mention that democratic senate is just as racially unsegregated as the Republican house? because that doesn't fit your narrative?

The rape website has no interest in delving into the issue other than creating some sort of "welcoming society" where women can report rape.

The whole point of the study's use of fictitious resumes is to control for factors such as education. Again, the abstract says that higher quality resumes elicit 30% more callbacks with white sounding names - evidence of racial bias doesn't get much clearer than that.

The purpose of the rape website is irrelevant to the point I'm making. The data on the site originates from the FBI and Justice Department. I don't need to post direct links to the FBI and Justice Department websites to use the same data in my argument.

If you look at the charts on the demographics of Congress in the second article, you'll see that the Democratic party, while still skewed toward white men, is much more diverse. I'm not constructing a "narrative" by highlighting the demographics of the Republican members - it's well known that people who vote Republican tend to (a) be older, whiter, and more male, and (b) consider race and gender equality a relatively low national priority.

That's the way the "system" works, and despite what you've assumed about me, I do not at all believe the system is "fucked". I'm well aware that conservative ideology provides a valuable counterweight to liberal ideology. For example, I don't trust the average liberal to have reasonable opinions about the use of military force or economic stimulus measures.

That does not excuse the injustices against minority groups that conservatives overlook, though. Because conservatism is by definition about maintaining the status quo, it also maintains traditional attitudes about the inferiority of women and "colored" people. This was true during the civil rights movement of the 1960s, when conservatives opposed the Voting Rights Act, and it's true today... which brings us to the point of liberalism: to advocate for change. Liberalism deserves most of the credit for recognizing and addressing injustices against minority groups in recent history, and anyone who makes an honest effort to understand the experience of minority groups today will find it overwhelmingly clear that the injustices have not been resolved.

Republican senate has more minority men than the Democratic senate but less white women.

it also maintains traditional attitudes about the inferiority of women and "colored" people.

Find anyone who still advances this agenda and i'd be insanely surprised

Your first claim was that minorities were still greatly hindered or some crap. Not true, the only evidence you had was the slight rate of employment of post 25 college grads of being 8% to 4%. Bogus. And yet you still are not interested in discussing solutions, only pointing out the rhetoric anyone informed and knowledgeable already recognizes.

Find anyone who still advances this agenda and i'd be insanely surprised
I said it's an attitude that's maintained by conservatism. In that sense, the conservative agenda is to maintain the attitude and therefore do little/nothing to support the equality movement.

Your first claim was that minorities were still greatly hindered or some crap. Not true, the only evidence you had was the slight rate of employment of post 25 college grads of being 8% to 4%. Bogus.
That's not the only evidence. There are obvious levels of inequality in wealth, income, political power, educational opportunities, and social mobility. The point of the employment study is to show that there are forces at work which reinforce or add inertia to the status quo.

I've been very specific and thorough in presenting this case, and I'm not going to post 20 pages of argumentation just so you can be intellectually lazy and leave the burden of proof entirely on me. Go learn something yourself.

And yet you still are not interested in discussing solutions, only pointing out the rhetoric anyone informed and knowledgeable already recognizes.
I would gladly discuss solutions with you, if you didn't already have your mind made up to ridicule or dismiss every last point I make. In order to discuss solutions, we obviously have to agree on *something* being the problem, and you wouldn't just snidely assume I'm "not interested" if you understood this.

zabu of nΩd;10981710 said:
If you look at the charts on the demographics of Congress in the second article, you'll see that the Democratic party, while still skewed toward white men, is much more diverse. I'm not constructing a "narrative" by highlighting the demographics of the Republican members - it's well known that people who vote Republican tend to (a) be older, whiter, and more male, and (b) consider race and gender equality a relatively low national priority.

That's the way the "system" works, and despite what you've assumed about me, I do not at all believe the system is "fucked". I'm well aware that conservative ideology provides a valuable counterweight to liberal ideology. For example, I don't trust the average liberal to have reasonable opinions about the use of military force or economic stimulus measures.

That does not excuse the injustices against minority groups that conservatives overlook, though. Because conservatism is by definition about maintaining the status quo, it also maintains traditional attitudes about the inferiority of women and "colored" people. This was true during the civil rights movement of the 1960s, when conservatives opposed the Voting Rights Act, and it's true today... which brings us to the point of liberalism: to advocate for change. Liberalism deserves most of the credit for recognizing and addressing injustices against minority groups in recent history, and anyone who makes an honest effort to understand the experience of minority groups today will find it overwhelmingly clear that the injustices have not been resolved.

What a bunch of fucking nonsense. You libtards are truly brainwashed to the fullest.

"ONLY OLD WHITE, RACIST, MALES VOTE RUPUBLICAN!" :lol: That kind of ignorance is what basically defines you lefties and is one of the reasons most people don't even take you guys seriously.

zabu of nΩd;10981897 said:
I said it's an attitude that's maintained by conservatism. In that sense, the conservative agenda is to maintain the attitude and therefore do little/nothing to support the equality movement.

I think you are simplifying the ideology of the Republic party to fit your narrative. Not one pushes the agenda that minorities or women are lesser, and really it's only blacks in minorities if we're talking about conservative American thought here, but rather the belief in state governments/natural movements rather than federal government enforcing equality through a series of laws akin to Title IX and Affirmative action employment.

That's not the only evidence. There are obvious levels of inequality in wealth, income, political power, educational opportunities, and social mobility. The point of the employment study is to show that there are forces at work which reinforce or add inertia to the status quo.

Like I said, anyone who is informed and knowledgeable understands the systemic processes of inequality throughout a system run and maintained by the wealthiest of our society. You said greatly, Jimmy and I both called you out on it and did not present any evidence to assert that exaggeration you made.

I would gladly discuss solutions with you, if you didn't already have your mind made up to ridicule or dismiss every last point I make. In order to discuss solutions, we obviously have to agree on *something* being the problem, and you wouldn't just snidely assume I'm "not interested" if you understood this.

I have already agreed on inequalities, you may have misread. Your problems are impossible to control, as I see it, without government intervention forcing inequality through an affirmative action-esque election requirement, somehow making resumes anonymous or void of any personal information(because holy shit we all are prejudiced in our own ways, your article even cites that neighborhood has as much as an effect on hiring as race does if you go by the name study).

Then sexual assault, which has a societal pressure against women that everyone knows about who is informed but won't change unless women decide to be "courageous" in their attempts to get justice for the crimes done against them. How does one create a society that encourages women reporting? I have no clue, but seeing men protected in the industries of college sports is quite obvious and not that surprising, as we all know money is the most important thing in our society.

They don't outright say "women and blacks are lesser" but how can you think that isn't the motivation behind voter ID laws and draconian abortion restrictions?

I just see voter ID laws as a way to discredit a portion of the population that wouldn't vote for them anyways, not that blacks/poor people are lesser.

Why can't Republicans just believe what their religion tells them? The party is obviously hypocritical on government interference, but I don't see how it oppresses women or makes them less than men because they advocate for no abortions (unless rape/incest for some members.)

It might not outwardly be that, but intention is not the important thing here. The effect is what is.

They can believe whatever they damn well please, but taking away peoples ability to have a medical procedure based on your "beliefs", especially in a society that is supposed to have a wall of separation between church and state, is indefensible.

I've already said it's hypocritical, but our society already tries to make people act in correct/moral ways so it's really not that different

Me not supporting abortions has nothing to do with the church you clueless nitwit. Ignorant generalizations like that is fuckijg despicable and is the main reason a lit of people are disgusted with most of you libs. You guys love painting your own fucking pictures(that are so far off from actual reality that its not even funny anymore) and agendas and systematically forcing it upon others. Like i said, most of you guys are a fucking virus to mankind, nothing more. And guess what? We usually find a cure for most viruses.

Why do you not support abortions?

EDIT: Also does anyone else find it hilarious that TB whinges eternally about my making "generalizations" (guess what - its not a generalization to say that conservatives often arrive at their values and beliefs due to religious upbringings, its how it fucking is) while making wild generalizations about how we love to paint our own pictures etc.