The Tech Question Thread

that looks like a winner Mike ... i think I am going to try this come early January.

lol @ the Angry Birds edition. When is that ridiculously boring game going to go away?

so a buddy of mine gave me his 1st gen Roku box ... this one

roku-dvp.jpg

(he changed to Apple TV as he has all Apple stuff in the house)

i updated the software and this thing works like a charm ... Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, etc. etc.
the only thing it can't do is play and access my pc files for movies. The newer models can but even those play only .mov ones so i would need to convert the files to that which is not going to happen.

so as of now looks like only the Boxee box can play ANY video file.

either way the math is making me drop cable for now and just keep this old Roku Box right now.

I pay 130/month for cable and it would be only 45 to keep the internet ... so saving like 85 a month ... 1020 year

Netflix would be 108/year + Amazon Prime 80/year + hulu plus 108/year ... so i would save over $700 and not be agravated with shit service + have everything at my fingertips.

go ahead and file this in the who gives a shit box.

look up Plex media server. I've gone through a lot of options for streaming pc content to the roku and plex is the best because it transcodes on the fly, so you don't have to worry about having the right filetype. Still a bit buggy with some files but it mostly works like a charm if you set it up right.

The channel is private so go to the roku site and add the channel code "plex"

http://www.plexapp.com/

edit: and I just updated the plex software and found there's a beta with working hulu support (no need for hulu+ since that's all roku supports otherwise), score.

look up Plex media server. I've gone through a lot of options for streaming pc content to the roku and plex is the best because it transcodes on the fly, so you don't have to worry about having the right filetype. Still a bit buggy with some files but it mostly works like a charm if you set it up right.

The channel is private so go to the roku site and add the channel code "plex"

http://www.plexapp.com/

edit: and I just updated the plex software and found there's a beta with working hulu support (no need for hulu+ since that's all roku supports otherwise), score.

thanks, i'll have to check this out. although I am not sure how this will work with my 1st gen box.

so wait ... how are you getting the box to access your files on your PC? how are you hooking it up?

The plex program is installed on the pc as the media server, and you tell it what folders your movie files are in and it scans the directory and downloads metadata for the program to make a media library.

The plex channel added to the roku lets you browse whatever files were added to the plex media server on the pc.

It streams it wirelessly to the roku and has a built in method of transcoding the file types while it plays them to the proper format since the roku is so restrictive about that. Well, wirelessly just because everything I have is hooked up wirelessly, as long as they're all on the same network it should all connect together fine.

step 1 was for me to go today to Time Warner Cable and ask about cancelling my cable.

- you are paying right now 125 + 6 tax for your cable ... how about we save you 35 a month so it will be just 95 for the next year for the same package.

bastards won again.

were you paying 131 dollars a month for cable television

that is the absolute most outrageous bullshit ive heard in my life

Lol @ this Roku talk, they just unveiled a new device that plugs into MHL-HDMI port with all previous functionality. Not that I've ever even heard of an "MHL" capable HDMI port.

MEANWHILE AUREL CAVES AND KEEPS HIS CABLE

well clearly cable is expensive ... 46 out of that 131 is for Internet access though ... still now the morning after I still feel ripped off after my brief high of saving a few bucks last night.
I actually pay on the low end ... some people I know pay close to 200 with premium channels and all.

anyway I signed no contract so will play with this Roku Box some more ... make sure all works fine and will probably kill cable altogether.

I like how they stick it to ya with the Internet
I too was going to ditch the cable but keep the net but they play pricing games
If I wanted to get rid of the net, it'd be the *cable* that was more expensive

well the breakdown of what I pay for all the pieces is clearly broken down on my bill so i know if i ditch cable i will ay 50 max with tax for internet ... which is still insane in this day and age.
i was paying 30 in '95 for AOL dialup :loco: