The threadmill, aka fitness discussion

It's weird.. I find it a lot harder to find the motivation to go running.. I find the runs themselves harder and my times are rather getting worse.
But if it were easy I guess it wouldnt be called sports

Yeah, so I'm officially depressed. My damn brother was slow as shit in high school. Which made me feel good, because my times were better.

Now his PR for 8k is 27 mins, and I'm 30 lbs. heavier.

Bastard.

~kov.

There's nothing easier to run to the rhythm of music. The only motivation I need to get to the gym is warm clothes.

And Kov - you are one poor bastard.

I'm currently at 5 miles in under 35 minutes (treadmill, it's dreadfully cold out).

Yea well Im running in the park, the oldschool way. And Im still at about 1h for 6miles :Smug:

it's +6 C out (at best), it's the center city = cars and traffic lights, and park nearby is too small... and crowded... and they have TVs in the gym... and it's warm.

Recipe for fast running, eh? :heh:

these days i'm abysmally tired. i'm getting a lot of exercise for my lats and arms by moving furniture around in the new flat (i think my best performance ever involved lifting a glass table last sunday, i don't know how heavy it is but i broke a sweat just handling it for about two minutes, which means that it must be something). however, it's all unbalanced; i should also try to run, do something for my legs, etc. i've last been in the gym last saturday, i keep on losing weight even if i eat normally, and i'm always hurting all over. i guess i need to sleep more, but apparently this is incompatible with the idea of going to work. i wish i could take a sports-only 2wk holiday, and i have my eyes set on a sailing school, but i don't have any money left to attend. pfff.

I found some ppl to play football with! We'll play tomorrow.. it'll be really cool :p
Picked up my running program again, too.. after a 2 week pause :Smug:

Footie was so awesome! Im sore all over the second day, but it was worth every aching muscle, heh. Im kinda wondering how I managed to live without playing for so long.

i wish i could play team sports too, it's such fun.

i've been sick last week and busy subsequently, so i haven't hit the gym since thursday the 30th. teh horrore. i can't go back there before friday, but i'll devote a couple of hours to free weights at home between today and tomorrow so that i don't tear a muscle the moment i go back to regular workouts.

I bechpressed 195 lbs (~88.5 kg) x 4 week before last - my new achievement in weight lifting :D Sure enough that was on a machine, since I don't have a spotter at the free weights. That's about 25 lbs/11.5 kgs more my current weight.

Took a week off and excercised some thoughless drinking throughout (along with exhaustion, couple of shows :D, not eating properly). Guess what? Was back in the gym strong as ever... well, got a lil' flaccid, but it's no big deal - it's all coming back. Ran yesterday for 4+ miles in th egym (medium pace, ~33 minutes), feels good, I though I'll be out after 20 minutes/2 miles or so.

@plintus: wow @the 88.5. i'm currently doing a pyramid training sort of scheme and so far i'm lifting 17.5x12, 22.5x10, 27.5x8, repeat the whole thing three times, adding up to a total of 90 lifts for a medium weight of 21.8. i don't know what my x4 max can be, and atm i have no spotter so i am not even trying, but i guess i could pull off maybe 45 or 50, at current body weight of 58.5.

Footie was so awesome! Im sore all over the second day, but it was worth every aching muscle, heh. Im kinda wondering how I managed to live without playing for so long.

My first contribution here. I envy you Tal, football is exactly the thing Ive missed the most since I left my previos job. Ive got no one to play with, and its such a great game. On the whole, Ive started losing weight just by watching my diet a bit more, and with the nine-pin bowling, which I do on regular basis, Im fine.

I feel your pain man :( I found a group by chance, I didnt know anyone but they're very nice people and it's been great fun. Everyone's playing for the fun of it, which leaves some room for technical finesse.. ;)

hey, how is the sports community on here faring?
i am extremely motivated these days - through a series of remarkable twists of fate, i got to know a british guy whom i share a large number of interests with, including fitness. now, he's very serious about it, works out every day and spent six years as a part of the extreme six-meals-a-day powerlifter crowd, while i do not remotely come close, but we are going to hang out together for a week in oxford sometimes in april and he promised he is going to spot for me... so i am going to train like mad until then to earn the honor.

tonight i asked my trainer for a new program and he dished out something that made me suspect that he actually hates me and wants to kill me - the mere look of it is scary. i did a test run on the first out of three sections (day 1 back, day 2 chest and legs, day 3 arms), with small and cautious weights, but it is scarier than it looks - broken down in specialized "short" sessions, true, but each of them has five different exercises (the first one is 3x12, then 3x10, 3x10, 3x10 and finally 4x6 at something bulky such as upright rows), so it clocks in at more or less 1h10mins including 10mins of running at the start and 15 at the end.

i will try the second session on saturday and the third one next monday, with small weights. today i did my dumbell shoulder presses with 6kg per arm, the upright rows with 22.5kg loaded on a barbell, bent-over rows with 8 per arm... small stuff really. i want to take it easy so as not to get hurt, but by the end of march i would love to be able to do the hard exercises (say, lateral rows or concentration exercises for the biceps) with 10kg per arm and the easy stuff (concentration for triceps, front raises, curls) with 12. as for the bench presses... well... i don't know, i seem to have an upper bound at the damn 27.5 if i have to do at least 8 reps, and it's weird that i can continuously increase weight on the pull-overs or number of free dips at the uneven bars, but no, i'll never benchpress a proper 35 or 40...

I was too busy with work, gym and the rest (WoW? what else is there, hmmm) of life, so there was no need to post anything =) Same routine and stuff, trying to get to 200 lbs in a couple months on a machine bench-press and slightly increasing free-weights. Really should consider a trainer, but can't see that in the near future, cuz I'm trying to keep on with my routine, but outside factors interfeere - sever outdoor conditions, so drag myself out to the gym is VERY hard - I'm not going to run in-doors when it's -10C + WIND outside, after 3-4 miles I'm drenched. Shower at teh gym is not an option, so I'm shamelessly bailing out.

These days, Im not going through with my running program like I did before, it's only 2h of footie every sunday for me. Maybe I'll pick up my running again soon, we'll see.. or maybe I'll keep being a chicken and stay inside :p

These days, Im not going through with my running program like I did before, it's only 2h of footie every sunday for me. Maybe I'll pick up my running again soon, we'll see.. or maybe I'll keep being a chicken and stay inside :p

I'd rather be alive chicken than dead GERMan.

:zombie:

Haven't quite started my exercise routine again yet. Holding off until the fiance can again. She's been having trouble with chronic back pain that's gotten worse in recent months, so they're having her go for testing and physical therapy.

Once she's feeling better we'll probably start running again.

~kov. (ok, I don't know how, but originally I typed 'again' as 'agina'...)

Haha, it's not my excuse for being fat. It's my current excuse for staying fat. Subtle differences, :p.

In all honesty, though, I've started my intermittent lifting again, just to keep my arms from atrophing completely. I don't think I'll start running (at least outdoors) until some of the belly fat comes off via crunches.

~kov.